slontze

tensors

8 posts in this topic

hey there.

how do you guys think one can introduce this tensor thing in a new language.

in other words which approach is better, through the anatomic meaning of the word or the mechanical approach?

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

How do you mean? Do you mean, how best to translate "tensor" into a different language? 

yes, exactly

I mean, its the name of a device, so you could probably leave it as is and simply explain its functionality. It's not an especially descriptive word in english anyway.

Edited by Kal-Eldin

13 hours ago, Kal-Eldin said:

I mean, its the name of a device, so you could probably leave it as is and simply explain its functionality. It's not an especially descriptive word in english anyway.

i've considered that, but it's fun to introduce a word to your own language, even if the source is a made up one.

5 hours ago, slontze said:

i've considered that, but it's fun to introduce a word to your own language, even if the source is a made up one.

You could always look at the function of tensors, put it in as few words as possible, and then mash a couple of those words together. Or, if there’s a word that might have several different meanings (maybe an official meaning, a connotative meaning, and a slang meaning) you could play around with that. 

I've got an idea. What language do you speak?

EXAMPLE (Spanish):

Ten ----> Diez

Sor (Hungarian) ----> Fila

New name: Diezfila. Don't judge.:P

I agree that using the original word would be best, but if you really want to translate it and don't mind an imperfect translation that drops a few spaces in the name of sounding cool, my suggestions are as follows:

Spanish: polvomitón or guante pararomper 

French: poussièrizer or gante fracasser