Alleyshards  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What shard should Hellbent get?

• Eye of the Oracle
    • Blade of the Champion
    • Horn of the Herald
    • None (We are not responsible for any damage caused to those who choose this option)

8 hours ago, Badadah said:

"Also, @Kaladin78, what would you like to change it to?

"No, it might be interesting to keep it."

4 hours ago, kenod said:

With a little grin I looked up. "Natural laws? That doesn't mean much where we currently are, though I get what you're saying."  I then continued in a more serious tone. "I'm also not sure about the idea of us actively interfering in the world. Our current methods work just fine, and any active interference could cause conflict between the avatars themselves, which could be catastrophic. I'm also not sure if a protector would be such a good thing. Why would we want one? Conflict is what makes the world evolve. All of us enjoy it. Some enjoy causing it, and some enjoy solving it, but the main point is that this causes change. If we have a protector, this conflict is gone. What does it matter if the bad guy wins, or if things get destroyed. We will still exist, and so everything will keep going, and stay interesting." I paused. "So, I vote that Hellbent will not receive our blessings, and that the same will apply to all who follow him here. While I will allow Hellbent to keep his spoils, as a reward for being the first to reach us, I also propose that we ensure he will not remember exactly who reside at the top of this mountain, only that we rejected him. I also propose that any who reach us after this will be treated the same, and that they will not keep their spoils, to prevent dangerous influences in this world."

Remembering that others had brought their own people here, I spoke again: "Also, for any of those who have brought their charges to this mountain, I'd suggest not leaving them fully aware of their true nature. This might cause... disturbances for their personality. Perhaps make them believe that certain beings have influenced them, but don't make them aware of the fourth wall, or to which extent we control them."

Having finished, I sat back down again.

"I concur.  It would be cool to have one super powerful villain that everyone in the alleyverse has to get together to defeat.  I mean, we already have a ton of villains, but one that threatens the very fabric of the shard would be a threat even to the most evil villains.  And the heros of the alleyverse will have a field day with this one.  Isn't that the point of things like this?  To keep the alleyverse moving and stop it from stagnating?  I say let him become a powerful being of evil!  Many characters would love to have an opportunity like this.  Namely mine, and I'm sure many others.  If we are worried about the power getting out of hand and break the game, then think about it this way: There are some amazingly powerful evil characters out there like Solace and, well, Hellbent.  There are also some amazingly powerful good characters out there, like mine and others.  There are characters from every point on the scale of power, from not super powerful to amazingly powerful.  Taking things to a higher plane of power won't change that.  Nothing will.  Let this happen!"  Finished with his short inspirational speech, Kaladin walked off and took a long drink of water.  He'd not been talking super long, but he'd been shouting rather loud.

"The problem with that sort of challenge is that is isn't a challenge. With the ability to create ideas, we can do whatever can be imagined."

I sat down again. "And the 17th shard website could not be threatened by our actions directly because we are just ideas. Only ideas can pass through the barrier that separates the worlds."

Suddenly, a bright light flashed. Rekaerb stumbled into the room, his eyes wide. I smiled to myself. He found the hole, then.

I looked over. "A lot of problems with time can be solved if you think of it in a multidimensional fashion." I waved my hand. "But we already have enough problems with time, what with edits and retcons. If you want time travel, I've made a NOW clock that makes things a bit more stable."

Well both of those are multidimensional, but they come at the problem from different directions, that's why I'm torn.
Ultimately the Jeremy Bearimy approach is ultimately a loop so that does have limitations, but then there are sub loops inside of it as well, and an isolated pocket.

Hmmmmm.

“But what is NOW? Is now pir current perception of time? But if our perception of time lasts muliple nanoseconds at least does that mean that strength of nanoseconds equals now? No, most likely that it is one nanosecond, the nanosecond we are in. But a nanosecond is made of smaller parts, so do all of those correspond to now? No, only the current one does. And you can continue splitting time to infinity, if everything is a group of time nothing can be now. So at what point does now happen? And at what point does it become arbitrary?

From the way I understand it (which probably isn't that good), all the different planck units are at the point where if you try to go any smaller (or larger, in the case of planck temperature and frequency) you need a working theory of quantum gravity to describe what is happening, meaning that we currently can't understand what happens at these points, which is why these are generally regarded as the minimum (or again, maximum) values. This means that you can have units of time smaller than planck time, but we just don't know what's happening anymore.

On a side note, the smallest measurement of time that we've managed (8.50 × 10−19 seconds) is 25 orders of magnitude larger than the planck time (5.39 × 10 −44 seconds). Also, the actual definition of planck time is the amount of time it takes light to travel a single planck length.

Edited by kenod

"Oh dear." I said. "Here we go again."

I started wondering how I should proceed with my characters again, Voidus needed to remain out of the way so that the story can continue, but there were now multiple ways he could escape so I felt like that was starting to stretch disbelief. For now I could wait and see if anyone actually enabled any of those plans, but I'd need to have something prepared for afterwards. I did have one plan, something I'd been sowing the seeds for for a while, but I still wasn't sure how the execution would pay off.

"Well I guess we'll see."

I snorted. "Nothing so complicated. NOW is whatever the time is in-thread. It's specially built for this sort of RP.

"While we're talking about time and stuff, I'd like to point out that beyond the Worldspike, time has passed differently since the seven day war. The Alleystorm arrives hundreds of years before, in some cases."

"Working with time as a mutable construct is easier than trying to coordinate a bunch of different Alleyverse timezones I'd think. Otherwise some slow moving but story-critical threads end up holding everything else up and time can't progress. But what do you mean by 'beyond' the Worldspike?"