Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ripheus23

If Selish magic is location-bound...

11 posts in this topic

... then how come the Dakhor monks can go demon-mode in Arelon?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't have as drastic a power drop off as Elantrians do, but it's still there.

Quote

Brightlord Maelstrom

When a Dakhor monk leaves his homeland do his bones still give him his abilities? Is it only the creation that's location-dependent or is it also the ability that's location-dependent?

Brandon Sanderson

The further you get away, the weaker the power the bones will give you will get. It's way better than Elantris at bringing the power with you. That's where it is in the notes right now, I have not written the second book, I could totally change that.

source

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The abilities of Elantrian magic are massively amplified by the city of Elantris, which is also why the dropoff effect is so severe. Normal, non-Elantris powered, Aon Dor would likely be able to function some distance from Arelon, similar to Dakor monks. The fight in Teod may be an example of that, although I'm not sure if they're still getting amplified by Elantris or not at that range.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Raoden figured out how to fix the Aons with the chasm line, but before he fixed Elantris, Aons worked, just at a much reduced power level. 

This is probably similar to the way they functioned in Teod. 

I've always pictured the power  levels of the different Selish magics as plateaus that cover the entirety of they region/continent that they are born of, and that Elantris essentially built a mountain on top of AonDor's plateau. A much steeper drop-off, with a much shorter range... But the magic will continue working just fine at it's baseline level until you hit the outer cliffs. 

Dakhor has no such false amplification to contend with. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is in regards to Forgery. What happens with that? After all, we know a forged object still stays the same on another planet, right?

Edit: Nevermind.

Quote
 Share  Copy
 
 

Viper (paraphrased)

Aons look like Arelon; soulstamps look like MaiPon. Aons get weaker when you get further from Arelon, right? That's not just cause Elantris acts like a focus?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That's right, it's based on distance. That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris.

Viper (paraphrased)

So do soulstamps get weaker further from MaiPon? If you left Sel via Shadesmar and went to another planet, would the soulstamp stop working?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That's correct.

Viper (paraphrased)

Could soulstamps be carved that used Arelon as a base form instead of MaiPon?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That's very interesting, isn't it?

 
 

 

Edited by Badadah
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2018 at 9:51 PM, Ookla the Ookla said:

My question is in regards to Forgery. What happens with that? After all, we know a forged object still stays the same on another planet, right?

Edit: Nevermind.

 

Forgery fails off-world or even outside of the active Domain it seems.

Quote

Brightlord Maelstrom

Forged items. If it's one of those where it's permanent or it's not going to die after a couple of hours, can you move it off-world or would it transform once you moved it too far from its location?

Brandon Sanderson

Forgery requires a constant little stream of power to keep it going so yeah if you moved it off-world the Forgery's going to collapse.

source

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

Forgery fails off-world or even outside of the active Domain it seems.

Quote

Brightlord Maelstrom

Forged items. If it's one of those where it's permanent or it's not going to die after a couple of hours, can you move it off-world or would it transform once you moved it too far from its location?

Brandon Sanderson

Forgery requires a constant little stream of power to keep it going so yeah if you moved it off-world the Forgery's going to collapse.

source

That's very interesting, I was wondering about that and didn't see that WOB.

That makes the Emperor in Emperor's Soul very similar to a Spren or cognitive shadow then wouldn't it? I mean he would be bound to his location / world and be a creature created / shaped by investiture.

would that make any individual who has a soul stamp effectively act like a temporary cognitive shadow while the stamp has it's effect going?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jetter said:

That's very interesting, I was wondering about that and didn't see that WOB.

That makes the Emperor in Emperor's Soul very similar to a Spren or cognitive shadow then wouldn't it? I mean he would be bound to his location / world and be a creature created / shaped by investiture.

would that make any individual who has a soul stamp effectively act like a temporary cognitive shadow while the stamp has it's effect going?

One big difference is that the Emperor is not truly bound to his location, there are just consequences to leaving.  Whereas spren and Cognitive Shadows are actually prevented from leaving their area.  

The other difference is that Splinters and Cognitive Shadows are actually made entirely from Investiture, while the Emperor is just being affected by Investiture.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

One big difference is that the Emperor is not truly bound to his location, there are just consequences to leaving.  Whereas spren and Cognitive Shadows are actually prevented from leaving their area.  

The other difference is that Splinters and Cognitive Shadows are actually made entirely from Investiture, while the Emperor is just being affected by Investiture.  

Hmmmm, your right. But I can't get over the similarities between Spren / Cognitive Shadows and Selish magic in general I guess.

Which would make sense, because the Selish shards are stuffed into the Cognitive Realm via "Big O".

Their magic in general seems like one huge Nahel bond with the world.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jetter said:

Their magic in general seems like one huge Nahel bond with the world.

It...kind of is and kind of isn't. There's theories about Sel itself coming to life due to that interaction.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jetter said:

Their magic in general seems like one huge Nahel bond with the world.

While they're both retrained to their respective areas, the method is quite different. The spren are actually tethered to their location, and will eventually hit a point where they physically can't go farther. 

Selish magic on the other hand receives instructions from its local area. So its not that the magic is physically tethered, but will instead stop working if it leaves its local area, since the new area will have a different set of rules to follow.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.