Draconic Hemalurgy

Invocation

Question

Khriss has called Hemalurgy the most useful magic to the cosmere at large, which, combined with me reading a ton of dragon stories recently, got me thinking:

How would cosmere dragons react to Hemalurgy? What could you spike out of them, and what benefit would they have to getting spiked? Are bind points even present on a dragon's physiology? 

9 answers to this question

24 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Khriss has called Hemalurgy the most useful magic to the cosmere at large, which, combined with me reading a ton of dragon stories recently, got me thinking:

How would cosmere dragons react to Hemalurgy? What could you spike out of them, and what benefit would they have to getting spiked? Are bind points even present on a dragon's physiology? 

well, given that we have a WoB that you could spike a Spren, though you'd probably have to do it in Shadesmar, you could probably spike a dragon too.

7 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

well, given that we have a WoB that you could spike a Spren, though you'd probably have to do it in Shadesmar, you could probably spike a dragon too.

That raises an interesting idea: when a dragon is in human form, do they have the same bind points as a normal human? Inquisitor dragon?

58 minutes ago, Invocation said:

That raises an interesting idea: when a dragon is in human form, do they have the same bind points as a normal human? Inquisitor dragon?

Their spiritweb wouldn't be the same as a human's (I imagine) so bindpoints would probably be different.

Colors, how many Breaths would it take to make a Lifeless Dragon like in Game of Thrones?

Or never mind stealing something out of them or making one into an Inqjuisitor - could you staple four dragons together to make a drakoloss?

Of course, all this talk about Cosmere dragons is kind of deep in RAFO territory, as we have no canonical on-screen time of one yet, right?

A drakoloss? Hmmm, you're gonna need some storming huge spikes for that...

17 minutes ago, robardin said:

Of course, all this talk about Cosmere dragons is kind of deep in RAFO territory, as we have no canonical on-screen time of one yet, right?

No, unless you count Frost's letter as being 'onscreen', which Brandon technically does since he used it when someone asked if we've seen dragons yet. The same WoB leaves open the possibility that we have seen one or more dragons in human form but that if so we wouldn't recognize them.

I suppose you could also say we have seen a dragon onscreen if you consider The Traveler to be canonical but I don't think that Brandon's actually stated it is..

59 minutes ago, Weltall said:

A drakoloss? Hmmm, you're gonna need some storming huge spikes for that...

No, unless you count Frost's letter as being 'onscreen', which Brandon technically does since he used it when someone asked if we've seen dragons yet. The same WoB leaves open the possibility that we have seen one or more dragons in human form but that if so we wouldn't recognize them.

I suppose you could also say we have seen a dragon onscreen if you consider The Traveler to be canonical but I don't think that Brandon's actually stated it is..

Yeah, but in neither the Letter nor "The Traveler" is he ever named as "Frost", called a "dragon", or described in a conventionally draconian way, except for Hoid calling him "you old reptile" or "you sly old lizard", which we only know to link to the reply letter and figure that Hoid speaks with in "The Traveler" because of WoBs.

Frankly I'm not sure where the name "Frost" is known to fans here - I'm guessing unpublished works? (I try to avoid those, as I'm quite sure that something like reading Way of Kings Prime before the actual canonical Way of Kings would have affected my enjoyment of The Real Thing, and in retrospect, I even regret having read the early released chapters from Oathbringer as they came out three or four a week as breaking the proper pacing, and won't do it for future books)

56 minutes ago, robardin said:

Frankly I'm not sure where the name "Frost" is known to fans here - I'm guessing unpublished works? (I try to avoid those, as I'm quite sure that something like reading Way of Kings Prime before the actual canonical Way of Kings would have affected my enjoyment of The Real Thing, and in retrospect, I even regret having read the early released chapters from Oathbringer as they came out three or four a week as breaking the proper pacing, and won't do it for future books)

I avoided reading any of the Oathbringer chapters myself for that reason, except for the one Brandon read at a signing. Yeah, from the WoBs it seems the first explicit reference to Frost came from someone who had read Dragonsteel Prime and asked Brandon a question about him. Between the sample chapters Brandon recently made available (albeit redacted in places) and The Traveler there's just enough material to link the person Hoid's speaking with to dragons, once you know (via WoB) that they can take human form.