How Did YOU Discover Wheel of Time?

KChan

A guy I knew back in college (1998 or so) loaned me the first couple of books. I had already gotten into fantasy back in middle school thanks to a Dragonlance book my mom (a teacher) had confiscated from one of her students and had lying around in her classroom. Anyhow, once I started, I was hooked! I really liked the eBook covers, and I can't wait for AMoL!

• 1 month later...

Ran out of books around my house to read, asked my friends for opinions and quite a few of them had been reading Wheel of Time. Asked for it for my Birthday and my sister got me the first 7 books in the series. Read through them pretty rapidly and started buying the next books. Luckily for me I started reading shortly before book 13 came out so I`ve only had to wait on AMoL.

• 9 years later...

I feel young, I didn’t discover it until last year. I knew Brandon Sanderson had finished it, so I decided I had to read it…but then EotW was really slow. I might’ve put it down, but I have a teacher who saw it on my desk and quoted the entire first paragraph to me from memory, and I was a little scared of the teacher at the time so I didn’t want to stop and risk having to explain to him why I did lol. And then it was suddenly much more interesting and I couldn’t stop…and now I own a memory of light!

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, Aes Sedai said:

I feel young, I didn’t discover it until last year.

I'm newer than you.

I was aware of the series for a while, but didn't start it until last year. Once I finished EotW, I borrowed via Libby the audiobook for The Great Hunt, and am now halfway through Kramer and Reading's production of The Shadow Rising. My younger brother owns the first six books, but I prefer the audiobooks. Though I might break down and borrow his copies if my hold on The Fires of Heaven doesn't come through soon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Edited by phillycheesesteak
Clarification, grammar

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered Eye Of The World on a library shelf at my high school when I was 13. The image looked familiar to stories I had read before, but the creature in the sky off to the left intrigued me, because it was nothing I had ever read about before that matched that image. The Eye Of The World followed the Great Hunt; and back and forth for the rest of the year.

Then my parents got The Dragon Reborn for my 14th birthday. Then alternating between Christmas and birthdays, until I caught up with the releases, which happened with Winter's Heart.

It is an amazing ride through the books since then. I have never, ever been disappointed to read the series. I still read them to this day.

Edited by Cosfan4472

• 2 months later...

Rereading them for the first time in close to a decade has me thinking of this recently. My best friend introduced me to WoT early in high school, saying, "So you like Eragon? It's like that meets Lord of the Rings, but much bigger and in depth."

Eye of the World intrigued me and the Great Hunt blew my mind at the time. They were one of the first, if not the very first, non-YA books I read and I had never experienced a story with so many viewpoints, characters, politics, etc. And it introduced me to Sanderson! Which of course has hugely shaped my taste in fantasy.

• 6 months later...