Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KChan

How Did YOU Discover Wheel of Time?

52 posts in this topic

I don't really have that much of a story. I think it all began when I picked up a Mistborn box set at Borders. I read the first book and loved it. I eventually found out more about Brandon Sanderson, and TWOT. I decided that if Brandon likes it, it must be a good series. However, it was much too long, and I didn't want to attempt it until I knew I'd be able to finish the series without any big gaps between volumes. So I started to collect copies of the series, in both paperback and hardcover until I had eventually garnered a paperback copy of each book in the series. I also have hardcovers of New Spring, Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams. The only volume I do not have is Towers of Midnight, which I will buy whenever I can.

Now I'm reading EOTW, and I'm about 1/5 of the way through.

I'm probably the only person in the world who was attracted to WoT by the cover design. For some reason, I picked up the first book, looked at Lan's helmet, and thought it was a Fantasy book with Eastern influences.

... it wasn't.

But the research I did trying to find out if it was convinced me to give the books a shot. That was two years ago and now I am up to date and awaiting aMoL. And so is my gf, who I had to force the books upon, but who is now more into them than even I.

This is going to be the most random reason posted here.

When I was in 7th grade, I was pretty into computer graphics and, and did a lot of stuff with a program called Bryce. I was on a mailing list hosted by the people who made the program, where people would post tips and tricks, answers to questions, and links to stuff they'd done. One person posted a bunch of fan art for the WoT. I thought it looked pretty interesting. And so I began to read.

At that time the newest book out was book 7, and I read them all. I was so hooked that if the library didn't have a particular book, I'd scrape together my allowance and buy it, even if the book store only had a hardcover in stock. (You think I'd wait for shipping from Amazon? Pssh. I was a kid. I was FAR too impatient for that.)

Well I would like to point out that all of you people are old. Got into it because of a favorable review from Orson Scott Card after reading Ender's game, and the advise of a life guard at the pool who thought that I had nothing to do. It was true I didn't, so I read and read and read, until I bumped into Brandon after he was chosen to finish the series.

It was when I had read all the other interesting books at the local library. So after a while thinking if I should read it or not, was a bit intimidated by the length (in swedish it were like 22 books and I was like 10 years old.

I was first introduced to these books by a work collegue. We had many hours of discussion about Middle earth, and it brought out my love for fantasy. He eventually recommended RJ, and to quote Darth Squirrel, it has sucked years of my life. I was hooked from EotW and immediately went to eBay and bought them all. The rest is history, although rather short compared to some. Just as a timeline, I started reading these about a year before RJ died. I found Brandon on my own, actually, looking for good reading material. I started with Mistborn and have been exploring the cosmere ever since.

I only started reading them last year, I've read lots over the years but I held off on moving up out of YA books lots longer than I should have, and then stuck to older authors like Gemmel and Eddings, finally one of my mates who reads basically the same stuff I do read them and loved them, passed them onto me, after Towers of Midnight came out, and 2 weeks later I'd finished the series and started hating on him for making me read something that wasnt finished, I hated waiting for authors up until very recently... thats how I found Brandons books, he was finishing WoT

Really the first high/epic fantasy novel I really got into. I'd read good ole Tolkien before but I read it when I was like 10 or so, didn't really understand half of it, =p. I also read Orson Scott Card's Ender novels around then too, totally didn't understand 90% of the books other than Ender's Game at the time, even now... I grew up in South Pasadena and in the public library's fairly small adult fiction section, it was the only cover that popped out to my little 7th grader eyes (other than a couple Conan the Barbarian books, I think I first thought it was He-Man or something haha). I read the first 5 or 6 books I think it was (all they had), straight through. Still think the first book was the best one, I've re-read that one like 6 times.

I had just finished the Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy and Second Generation (the ones that go Autumn of... Summer of.. etc.) think Raistlin is so awesome! even if he is 'somewhat' evil. But Jordan made me drop Dragonlance and do re-reads of the Wheel of Time instead. :lol:

I actually saw Sanderson's Mistborn books at my college bookstore a few years ago but never got around to reading them. Then Robert Jordan passed away and I decided to read Mistborn when I heard Brandon was taking over the last book. I read Mistborn 1 hour at a time between classes, and have thus so far read all of them except Elantris because the bookstore stopped stocking it when I had finally finished Mistborn. Stupid college bookstores...

Got to say though, Brandon has done an awesome job of The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight and is a worthy writer to finish up the Wheel of Time. Can't wait for A Memory of Light!! Both for the epic conclusion of the series and so that Brandon can focus on more Stormlight, and Warbreaker2 and pretty much every cosmere book! If you think about it, they're all having sequels.

I remember having a $20 gift certificate to Waldenbooks that I got for Christmas in 1989. When we went shopping, my attention was drawn to a stoic man on a horse accompanying a regal lady in blue. I had never heard of this "Robert Jordan" before and wondered if this would be worth taking a chance on spending my bounty. And what start of a series would be in an oversized paperback?! I ended up going for it, hoping it would not be just another "quest" type of book that clones of the D&D type world seemed to be spawning. I was hooked from the first pages and have been a faithful follower every since grabbing the hard back and tearing through it with each release. I was heartbroken when Mr Jordan passed, and was cautiously optimistic when Mr Sanderson took over (I had not yet discovered this author either). Mr Sanderson has brought the much missed pace and is doing one heck of a job finishing off the series. I am now in me 3rd re-read of the series, and still loving it just as much, if not more as when I first took a chance.

In 1994 my friend handed me a copy of 'The Eye of the World' and said "Read this, and don't crease the spine". He has a thing about creased spines! At the time I was reading a lot of Terry Pratchett, and since I'm from Ireland and was living there at the time, I was used to pretty epic covers. The EotW's cover was sufficiently epic for me to take the book home to read it. Before I left, my friend did warn me that the first 100 pages or so might turn me off, and I'm glad I did. My 13 year old self did not enjoy those 100 pages. My current self loves the hell out of them.

At the end of 'Towers of Midnight' I commented to my wife that this characters were as much my friends as some people I really knew. At that point I had spent 16 years with Rand, Matt, and Perrin. I've read and reread the series many times and love it more with each pass through. I'm lucky to have meet Robert Jordan in person, and have a signed copy of 'Winter's Heart'. I think that colors my experience of that novel, and I don't see it when people complain about the slump of WH and 'Crossroads of Twilight'.

Hey Everybody,

I first discovered the WoT at high school in year ten (4th form) because I had run out of books to read,

and saw almost an entire shelf filled with one series - :D

Read the whole lot - from The Eye or the World to Knife of Dreams in that year, and bought The Gathering Storm

when it came out. It was waaaaaay better than the prevoius one, so I went and got Mistborn: The Final Empire

out from the library, and have been hooked on Brandon Sanderson ever since!

- Can't wait for A Memory of Light!!!!

For me, WoT came long before Brandon Sanderson; however, I read Elantris and Mistborn before Wheel of Time (IIRC)

Due in large part to my mother's love of scifi/fantasy, our shelves are full of a wide variety of fantasy books. I don't honestly know when we got Eye of the World; I just remember it always being on the shelf. However, I have this real problem with reading books out of order, and for some reason (reading comprehension FTL?) I thought EotW was, like, 2nd or 3rd in the WoT series. So I skipped it. Read Andre Norton, read ... other stuff.

Finally, a year or so before my mission, I realized it was the 1st book in the series and decided to finally give it a try. Really enjoyed it. Then I left... Fast forward 2-1/2 years, and in order to get to Brandon Sanderson's capstone novels, I have to read through the rest.

Just finished my re-read of EotW tonight, actually. Will be ordering the 2nd-4th from the library soon (I found the 5th and 6th while I was gone). Reliving the awexome.

~~~

Another problem I had with the series that I had to clear up before I committed to reading them all was continuity; were all 12+ books going to be about the main characters of the first (i.e. Rand, Egwene, Lan, etc), or were they gonna pull a Shannara and work with their descendants? Don't get me wrong, I love Shannara for this very reason, but it would really mess me up, so I had to make sure. Glad to see that's not the case. :P

Edited by Triumvirate

I was on vacation in Norway and needed something to read. I went to this bookstore in the town I was in, and found their pretty sparse English section, which had even fewer fantasies. There were however, the first 4 WoT books, in the UK orbit edition, so I decided to try it out. After having read the first one, I was hooked, and just had to continue reading.

I was going to community college and had an hour commute each way (friggin crappy American public transit system). *cough* Anyways, my Mom had the first six books and really liked them. I borrowed her copy of The Eye of the World to read on the bus. By the end of the term I'd finished book six.

Since then I've bought my own set -- all hardback -- many of which are first editions and about half of them are signed.

I was browsing the school library, bored out of my mind by the school's books, and I saw the Eye Of The World. I decided to read it because I was bored and it was a thick book. I finished it then immediatly went to the better library and checked out all of them and reserved the ones I didn't check out. Brandon Snaderson and Robert Jorden: Best Authors Ever!!!

I started reading them when I was a Freshman in High School...yikes that was over 10 years ago now!

I was told about these and Mistborn by my friend's friend's DAD. I bought and read Mistborn, got hooked, and asked for Wheel of Time for Christmas. I'm partway through the first right now.

It was summer of 1990 (maybe '91) and I was living overseas at the time. Since I had a very limited vocabulary in Arabic, I depended on this small bookstore in the US embassy for reading materials. It was on the shelf, I had money, so I bought it along with another book that I can't recall (hey, its been 20 years). Since I was in high school at the time and most of my friends were spending their summer in the states visiting family, I read the book two or three times that summer. I was hooked then.

When I found out about Mr. Rigney's illness from the manager at the bookstore I frequented; I resigned myself to not seeing the end of the series completed. Then I found out that Mr. Sanderson was taking over and had been approved by Mr. Rigney, I was willing to give the book a try. When it came out, I read TGS...

Then I went out and bought Elantris, Warbreaker, and The Mistborn Trilogy.

I first read tEotW upon a recomendation by a friend. I read through book 5, but I didn't realize how hooked I was to the books till book 6. I was getting them from the library, and though the library's computer said that LoC was in, it wasn't on the shelf with the rest of the WoT books. I surmised that it must have been put on the wrong shelf, and so I spent the next few hours looking through every single book in the library until I finally found it! That's when I realized just how addicted I was, and I proceeded to read all of the books.

Got fourth book out of school library was around twelve. Didn't read much of it put it back (didn't understand what was going on). Saw book eight at a second hand book store bought it. Read prologue, was interested (or confused) enough to get the first one. Read them straight to book seven stopped then picked them back after half a year then kept going. Loved them ever since.

My best friend strongly recommended them to me when we were in 10th grade, 14 years ago now! I got hooked pretty quickly, and was a regular WOT fanboy for years afterward. With the 8th book in the series released later that year, I'd never have imagined that I'd still be waiting to find out how it all ends this many years later.

I believe I was in sixth grade when I first started in on Wheel of Time. I had already finished all of the Shannara books and was looking for another set of books to read. I picked up Eye of the World because The Great Hunt was the biggest book on the shelf, and Eye of the World was the prequel to it, and I wanted to read that big ol' book.

I am a complete nerd! I was actually at a marching band competition and had some downtime between shows. We got bored hanging out at the hotel and went to the nearest gas station. I noticed TEotW sitting on a display with some other books and the cover really caught my eye. I tore through it and was done by the time we got home the next day. I went to get more books in the series and realized that only The Great Hunt had been published and that The Dragon Reborn was set to come out in a few weeks. I made a tradition of reading each book as it came out as soon as I could get my grubby hands on it. I even read A Crown of Swords while I was on an LDS mission. I know. I know. :o

I had a friend in high school who feared that Robert Jordan would pass away before he could finish the series. Sadly, he was prescient in this instance. I am glad that Brandon Sanderson was chosen and I knew he would do a great job when his role was announced.

Now, we sit a few months away from an ending that I have been anticipating for more than 20 years. I know it will be amazing!

A friend of mine -- whom I have not actually talked to in many, many years; we fell out of touch, sadly -- sent me the first four books as a present.

I was hooked from the first couple pages.

A few years back some guys at work and I were talking about something for me to read after I finished Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I borrowed the first book from one of them, and then wound up getting the rest for myself.