Gasper

Question

Does anyone know what Aon modifiers look like? Such as the ones Raoden used to set the distance when he used Aondor to cross the ocean? Also, how do you connect Aons to get different effects. And is there a bigger list of Aons than the one in the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris? I am working on a connected Aon art project. 

5 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Dots and angled lines and stuff, based on various landscape details in Arelon. There is a conjoining one somewhere that will allow Aons to be combined, I think. As to the list, I don't know if this is any more detailed than the 10th Anniversary edition, but it's worth looking at: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Aon

I checked that list and it has a bunch of Aons that do not have symbols and it does not have anything on modifiers. But thank you for the reference.

Yeah, I've wondered about this, too 

What happens if you draw, for instance, "death," but without any mods? Does drawing more mods make it more powerful? It indicates that modifiers were added to make the death aon target an individual, but would it work differently if those lines weren't drawn?

18 minutes ago, Servillius said:

What happens if you draw, for instance, "death," but without any mods? Does drawing more mods make it more powerful? It indicates that modifiers were added to make the death aon target an individual, but would it work differently if those lines weren't drawn?

When Raoden uses it he's bluffing since 1) the magic isn't working properly and all he can do at that point is draw the Aons and 2) he has no idea what Aon Sheo would actually do magically-speaking so nothing he says can be taken at face value. Given the name one presumes that it kills, or maybe works like a Shardblade cut and causes Spiritual damage or something like that... but we really don't know.

Actually, given the role that Death plays in tarot, I wouldn't be surprised if its main function in AonDor isn't literal death but as a part of more complicated Aon equations to represent change.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:50 PM, Gasper said:

Does anyone know what Aon modifiers look like? Such as the ones Raoden used to set the distance when he used Aondor to cross the ocean? Also, how do you connect Aons to get different effects. And is there a bigger list of Aons than the one in the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris? I am working on a connected Aon art project. 

Functionally, the aons seem to act like a programming language, with the order they are drawn being analogous to their line number in a script (which generally corresponds to order of execution for simple code). To the best of my knowledge that list is all we have so if you're going for an art project you're going to probably need to go non-canon.

If you want a friendly suggestion: Aon Rao looks to me like it could be drawn with smaller aons inside each circle and used as a comparison statement or mathematical modifier. You might consider picking a handful of Aons to represent the classic logic circuit functions (and, or, not, nand, ect.) And/or mathematical symbols and translate a simple javascript program into them.