Syl's interest in Kaladin

Timothy

Wild theory time. We know that Kaladin and Tien have some lighteyed ancestry and that they are related to Aesudan. This would make it seem like their mother comes from a politically important family. We also know that spren are atracted to groups, places or regions where traditionally there have been a lot of radiants. Maybe Syl and Tien's cryptic were drawn towards them at first because of that. We know that Syl chose Kaladin because of his honor, but that might have "only" been the deciding factor and not the origin of her interest.

FYI, we recently got clarification that Kaladin is only distantly related to Queen Aesudan:

Stormlightning [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Kaladin related to Aesudan?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, but it's not a close relation. A very complex system of things, but yes.

I was just wondering why he knew her...the melody she was humming.

Oh, he did. That is not because they're related.

So it's something else?

It's something else. I thought that was a sideways question about Kaladin's mom.

It kinda was, I thought maybe she hummed that and so that's why he recognized it.

No, good question.

source

4 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

Kaladin is the only living of the latest-born descendants of the first Windrunner, maybe. (Or some other analogy to Syl's being the Ancient Daughter or what.)

It is mentioned that Kaladin looks like Jezrien, so it is possible that our now deceased Herald had children other than Ash and Kaladin is one of their decendents. Or Jezrien had a kid by accident while he was a crazy drunk and that kid was one of Kaladins ancestors.

On 16-11-2018 at 11:20 PM, Ripheus23 said:

Kaladin is the only living of the latest-born descendants of the first Windrunner, maybe. (Or some other analogy to Syl's being the Ancient Daughter or what.)

After 2000 years? (6000 since the Desolations started) That's ridiculously contrieved. Both 0 and hundreds are vastly more likely.

On 17-11-2018 at 4:10 AM, Gasper said:

It is mentioned that Kaladin looks like Jezrien, so it is possible that our now deceased Herald had children other than Ash and Kaladin is one of their decendents. Or Jezrien had a kid by accident while he was a crazy drunk and that kid was one of Kaladins ancestors.

That's not how genetics works. Over 6000 years, assuming an average of 25 years for a new generation, on average 1/1700000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th of a certain ancestor's genes are still present when working under the assumption all ancestors are unique (which, I think quite obviously, is not true). Jezrien will occur quite a few times in that family tree, but that random farmer he killed for siding with the voidbringers may occur just as often.

4 hours ago, Leyrann said:

After 2000 years? (6000 since the Desolations started) That's ridiculously contrieved. Both 0 and hundreds are vastly more likely.

Well Tien would've been another one, and whichever of Kaladin's parents could be traced back likewise (maybe both could :wacko:). And maybe there would've been others, too, but they might all be dead (for whatever reason). Contrived,* true, but fantasy worlds often have a deficit when it comes to representing the true demographic scales (for example, Roshar has more countries than any other fantasy world I am aware of, but it still has way less than the real world).

*Much as Talenel holding out against torture for 4500 years is perhaps contrived?

10 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

Well Tien would've been another one, and whichever of Kaladin's parents could be traced back likewise (maybe both could :wacko:). And maybe there would've been others, too, but they might all be dead (for whatever reason). Contrived,* true, but fantasy worlds often have a deficit when it comes to representing the true demographic scales (for example, Roshar has more countries than any other fantasy world I am aware of, but it still has way less than the real world).

*Much as Talenel holding out against torture for 4500 years is perhaps contrived?

Back in Tolkien's days, writers didn't really take such things into account (hence Aragorn). Nowadays, 70 years later, writers do, and Brandon first and foremost.

Kaladin could perhaps be a descendant of the male line (meaning only (oldest) sons), which would be less contrived.

That being said, I don't see why he would have to be. We already know his personal values are what attracted Syl.

9 hours ago, Kaladin's Girl said:

Guys, you are being too literal. This is a SCIENCE FICTION FANTASY story. ANY thing is possible. What I would like to happen in the story is for Syl to become human and marry Kal. Also I believe Kal is more than he appears.

Realism is considered an important part of fantasy, in particular by Brandon Sanderson.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:43 AM, Kaladin's Girl said:

Guys, you are being too literal. This is a SCIENCE FICTION FANTASY story. ANY thing is possible. What I would like to happen in the story is for Syl to become human and marry Kal. Also I believe Kal is more than he appears.

Feel free to write that fanfic yourselves (there's even a board dedicated to Fan Fiction.  However, Brandon has spent a lot of time and effort creating an internally consistent universe that operates according to certain fixed principles, only breaks with real world science when absolutely necessary, and avoids a lot of tropes of the genre.  (And that's why a lot of people love his works)  There's no way in the Cosmere for a splinter to become a human.  

21 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Feel free to write that fanfic yourselves (there's even a board dedicated to Fan Fiction.  However, Brandon has spent a lot of time and effort creating an internally consistent universe that operates according to certain fixed principles, only breaks with real world science when absolutely necessary, and avoids a lot of tropes of the genre.  (And that's why a lot of people love his works)  There's no way in the Cosmere for a splinter to become a human.  

Well, as much as I don’t like the human!Syl theory, we technically don’t know that there is no way for a splinter to become a human. It’d probably be really hard, but I’m sure a Shard could do it if they really wanted to.

• Chaos locked this topic