First of the Sun Perpendicularity

AonKai12

So, we know that the area surrounding First of the Sun’s perpendicularity is particularly dangerous, but I haven’t seen any information as to why that is. 

My thought is that the wildlife may have some kind of influence on the Cognitive Realm due to their thought-sensing abilities. 

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Someone asked Brandon that exact question and got RAFO'd.  I think it's got to be related to the predators.  

Questioner

I have a specific question about one Perpendicularity, on First of the Sun. You've mentioned that it's dangerous.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Is that because there are predators that can sense your thoughts, that can sense your presence in the Cognitive Realm as you're travelling across the Perpendicularity before you cross over--

Brandon Sanderson

That's a Read And Find Out.

source

As far as I know the leading theory is that Autonomy took intentional steps to close it off and/or make it inaccessible.  She hinted as much in the Letters with the "overcome the tests we have create, and we do know that Patji is an avatar of Autonomy (though we dont really know what that means). 

I hadn’t thought of the possibility of it being Autonomy! Though that would make a lot of sense considering she’s blocked off access to Taldain. If it is her doing, I wonder how she feels about the presence of the Ones Above. 

Edit: The following WoB seems to imply that the issue with the perpendicularity might just be that Patji is so dangerous in the Physical Realm that it’s hard to survive after arriving. Though that certainly doesn’t rule out Autonomy’s influence depending on how much she had to do with the magic and landscape of First of the Sun. Or I could just be misinterpreting the WoB!

Questioner

I guess... At what point or which book will Sixth of the Duskeventually tie in to?

Brandon Sanderson

So... Heh...

Questioner

And if that is unanswerable, then how many years until that book comes out?

Brandon Sanderson

It's not unanswerable, but it's a ways off. The problem is that's a weird planet, and visiting it from Shadesmar is-- it just-- in the Cosmere CollectionI'll talk about that, okay? It's a weird planet, and getting to it is interesting. 

Questioner

Okay...

Brandon Sanderson

There's no Shard in residence, but there's a Shardpool. But it's on... one of the most dangerous places... that exists. And so, let's just say it's not going to be relevant until you can regularly travel there somehow that doesn't involve popping up into a giant death trap.

Questioner

Okay, follow-up question though. How many people have tried to pop up, only to find out it was a death trap?

Brandon Sanderson

Go ahead and read what Khriss has to say about it.

source Edited by AonKai12
Additional information and speculation