Alley ╔╦╦═╬╦═

MacThorstenson

Options:
1. Create mental fortitude spikes (Requires some intimate Hemalurgic knowledge, not something people are likely to possess)
2. Join the DA
3. Find appropriate recompense for the spikes and purchase them.
4. Be given spikes in a much more painful, less helpful manner.

KoTiel looked at the readings in front of them. "Finally," they thought. Even with the bendalloy bubble incubators it had taken them a fair bit of time to incubate the different samples, and creating them in the first place was difficult enough already. They sighed. Even with the equipment available, they hadn't been sure if they could actually do it. After all, gene tailoring was a rather... delicate process, especially when you were introducing entirely new types of cells and enzymes into a species. Still, they finally managed it, a Mistwraith capable of growing hair, nails, and with enough time, even repairing broken bones.
Smiling they walked to the intercom, and called Laurelai. "Hey, KoTiel here. How far are you with the research? I'm just about ready to decant the body over here."

Laurelai paced inside the lab, tapping a pen anxiously on a pad of paper. The pad she was reading was crammed with hundreds of lines of writing, squeezed onto the page when she seemed to be running out of room. Other pages were filled with diagrams for stamps that had been drawn, redrawn, annotated, crossed out and revised.

"This should be it." She remarked to the acolytes and other researchers in the room. "That research of the Strangers was helpful but there was too much residual damage, we should be able to create a patch over the identity portion of their spiritweb with this."

The researchers nodded, a few of them speaking together quietly of their own research that would benefit from this. The acolytes in the room were rapidly writing in notebooks of their own, struggling to follow as Laurelai began explaining the more detailed realmatic implications and interactions.

"So." She concluded. "Permutation Beta-21, utilizing the Soulforged Identity spikes created from the previous experiments, subject has had their own identity temporarily removed by means of Forgery."

Just as the spike was about to be placed, the intercom to the lab began buzzing and a familiar voice rang out.

"Hey, KoTiel here. How far are you with the research? I'm just about ready to decant the body over here."

Laurelai walked over to it with a satisfied smile.

"Just wrapping up here, running a final test before we move to the Mistwraith subject. Could you send through the logs for the incubation? I'll need it to create an appropriate stamp."

Laurelai nodded to one of the acolytes who was still holding the spike over their subject, with a swift and precise downwards stab, the spike was placed into an identity bindpoint on the subject. The subject tried to bolt upright at the sudden physical and spiritual intrusion but was held down by restraints.

Finally they stilled.

"Spiritweb scan." She told the acolyte before turning back to the intercom, waiting impatiently for the results.

"Scan complete." The acolyte said quietly after running a handheld scanner over the now-motionless body. "No elements of subjects original identity found."

A burst of applause and smiles broke out over the researchers who immediately began discussing how they could expand upon this. The nearby acolytes smiled widely as well, being a part of an experiment like this might set them up to become full researchers or field agents.

"I'll be right over." Laurelai said to the intercom, supressing a smile of her own.

With a nod to the DA staff who remained in the lab she headed out towards KoTiel's.

4 hours ago, Ookla the Lurker said:

Good point.  Unfortunately Valdwen isn't a member of the DA, as he serves Galvris.  I think he'll leave now.

Valdwen, realizing he had nothing left to accomplish, quickly left via the nearest door.  He hoped that he had not interfered with the expirement too much, it had seemed important.  

KoTiel watched Laurelai walk in. "you're ready?" They asked. "Well, lets get going." Smiling they keyed a sequence into the tank, and watched the fluids drain away, revealing the shapeless Mistwraith underneath. "Now this," they said with a grin, "is going to be interesting."

"Ah, what we're going to be doing to it is the most interesting, of course, " KoTiel started explaining. "However, the mistwraith itself is quite special as well. Specifically, I modified it to some degree to improve it's speed when changing shapes, and I also enabled it to create specific enzymes and cells that allow it to grow hair and nails in the same way as humans do, as well as actually repair bones to a limited degree. Of course, efficiency is a lot lower than with humans, but it'll still be very useful to me, especially the ability to repair broken bones."

Laurelai nodded with excitement as she joined Kotiel, they watched the fluids in the vat drain away, revealing the formless mass of flesh within. The new and improved Mistwraith that KoTiel had created.

"I've finished preparations for the stamp." She said, eyes locked on the mistwraith. "It should account for the changes that were made here, accurate enough that it will hold until we can place the spike."

Laurelai began scanning the display, eyes flickering across it at high speeds while she tapped Zinc to process the data and incorporate it into her stamp.

"Just a sec." She muttered. "Just some final adjustments, can someone prep the subject for accepting the spike?"

Mistwraith spikings were interesting affairs, it seemed that they had a mutable spiritweb, one which they were able to shift to accept new spikes, as such the placement of spikes was usually a much less precise affair than the other research they'd done.

But in this case the Mistwraith would be completely lacking an Identity when they placed the spikes, they hadn't been sure if it would be able to reflexively accept the new spikes and so they would still need to create a map of the current placement of its spiritweb in case they needed to place it manually.

That should be about it.

Laurelai mentally reviewed the stamp once more, now adjusted for the new information that KoTiel had provided. Finally satisfied that it met their requirements she gave a nod to KoTiel.

"Ready when you are."

Distantly, the sound of criminals being executed could be heard.  Curiously, the headsman was using copper spikes to do the grisly deed.  Mental fortitude was always fifty-fifty with criminals, but these were the most stable of the lot.  The sounds of screaming, dying men slowly drifted down through the room...

"Alright, one minute." KoTiel replied. They concentrated, focusing on their body, and a bulge appeared on their hand. Inside, they manipulated the tissue, copying the tissue where they stored their memories. Then they started altering the tissue, reshaping it in a way that other kandra would automatically be able to access the memories. When they were finished they were holding a small, deformed grey orb.
"Alright," they said. "I'm ready. First, we'll drop in the essence spikes. If everything looks good I'll then drop in the memory core, and see if the transfer has succeeded. If it has, I'll run some tests to make sure it's stable. After that..." They hesitated. "After that, I'll probably shut myself down, and allow the new me to inherent my spikes and skeleton." Remembering something, they called out to one of the assistants. "That reminds me, can one of you bring over the true body over there? Bring the hair too, while you're at it. Thank you."

Laurelai prepared the stamp as a nearby acolyte loaded the Essence spikes into a weapon that seemed to resemble a nailgun. He seemed to have a little trouble with it at first, either inexperience or nervousness causing him to fumble momentarily before managing to load the spikes.

"Alright, here we go." Laurelai said as everyone prepared themselves.

She applied the stamp using her boon, watching the lump of flesh twitch for a moment as it took hold. A small creature seemed to appear in the air next to her as her bane manifested, but it didn't seem likely to impede the experiment so she ignored it.

"Go!"

The acolyte with the spikegun quickly took aim and fired them into the body of the mistwraith where they were quickly absorbed by the shapeless mass. Another twitch.

"And last is the memories. KoTiel?" Laurelai asked, seeking this final confirmation from the Kandra. "Are you ready?"

"I'm ready," KoTiel answered. Quickly they dropped in the grey mass. When it hit the kandra, the kandra quickly moved around it, and after a few seconds slowly stopped twitching, and started moving with more purpose. KoTiel motioned forwards one of the acolytes, and had them drop in the stone true body and hair. Quickly, the kandra absorbed the bones, forming flesh, and slowly stood up. KoTiel smiled. "Well there, how are you feeling?"

Awareness. Suddenly, KoTiel felt that their body was different. Their skeleton was gone, and their mind felt slower. Blind, they reached around with their body, feeling their surroundings. "The memory transfer," they thought slowly. "I'm in the new body. But in that case, am I still KoTiel?" Thinking about this, they stopped moving. At the same time, they noticed they felt different, but had trouble placing where it came from. While they were thinking about this they felt something hit them. Flowing around it they noticed that they were bones. Quickly, they took them, and assembled the skeleton. Taking the hair, they put it where they formed their head. Finishing with their body, they stood up. "How are you feeling?" They heard KoTiel ask. "I'm feeling alright,"  they said, unconsciously deciding to hide that they felt something off about themselves. "Names will be an issue," they said, trying to hide their thoughts, "Perhaps call me KanMien?"

KoTiel smiled. "It seems the procedure was successful," they said. "Well KanMien, Lets go and run a couple of tests to see everything is working correctly." They paused for a bit. "Ah, right. Maybe we should also get some clothes for you."

Slowly, KanMien nodded. "Alright, lets go. I also wouldn't mind some clothes." "Experiments, I can do those right?" They thought. "Perhaps that can help get rid of these feelings." They put on a smile, trying to hide their doubts.

• 1 month later...

Mac.png.88b627c300a6c8adb3349e93f6b4504b.png

Mac walked into the Alley, uncertain and confused. Its been ages since I've been taught by voidus. Can I even do this? What if I fa- No. No thinking about that. He quickly dragged the corpses into the incinerators and cleaned the floor. 

It would not be good to have a messy lab, not at all. As he cleaned the tables he remembered the last time he had been here. He had been so certain. He knew his path. His mission. Now where was he? Hopefully Voidmaking provided some guidance. But what if it didn't? Mac ignored the voice in his head. Voidmaking would at the very least give him access to the new power. That would be helpful. 

Finished with the lab, he sat down in a chair and waited for @Voidus to arrive.

Edited by MacThorstenson

Voidus arrived at the lab, the air around him still dark and he clenched his teeth in frustration.

Every time I get distracted for just a moment...

His eyes darted around, seeming to focus on things that lay outside the room rather than the objects within. The darkness around him seemed to ripple in response to his gaze, silently shifting to match the focus of his vision.

"This is going to need to be a little rushed." Voidus said, finally letting his eyes focus on Mac. "We're a little pushed for time. So, first lesson!"

He placed a small ball bearing on one of the lab benches, ensuring that it didn't roll off.

"You need to hate this ball bearing. Hate it until it hurts you to be around it, hate it until you can't stand for this to exist in the same universe as you."

He looked back at Mac with an expression that would brook no refusals.

"Questions?"

Mac.png.129e1ff49bcd141302b1fc26cd6ecf4f.png

"Questions?"

Mac shook his head, "Not immediately."

He focused on the ball bearing. He had to hate it. Intent was important in cosmere magics, so he had some experience with this, but it still was difficult. Mac considered himself a logical person, and hate wasn't something that he was used to. It made people lose control. Mac did not lose control.

How to hate an inanimate object? That was the question. What did it ever do to him? It just sat there. But what if... What if it figured out how to kill him? No, death didn't scare him anymore. He just felt apathy. He had failed. Through that failure he had gained voidmaking, but he still failed. He hated failure. Wait. Could he use that?

The Ball bearing had failed him. He had trusted it to do something, and it failed. But that made no sense? Ball bearings couldn't do things, they couldn't fail. Not like him. He had failed. He hated himself for his failure. With a start, he realized that he could use that loathing. If he latched onto that, but how?

What if, the ball was the reason he failed. He failed because of apathy. Apathy in the moment of danger. That ball sat there, what did it know of danger, or drive? It was a ball. It went wherever gravity pulled it. It was the embodiment of apathy. While it hadn't failed him, it embodied the thing that did. His eyebrows moved into a scowl. That feeling of apathy. And he hated it for that, he despised it. How could he remove it? That apathy must be gone. It is within everyone. Every passive thing. He couldn't be affected by it. He couldn't. He needed to. Get. It. Out.

"It needs to be gone." He whispered. Looking to Voidus he said "I think I hate it. I certainly need that out of the room."

@Voidus

Edited by MacThorstenson