Alley ╔╦╦═╬╦═

MacThorstenson

Aaric ran off to the local Dark Alley document and artifact repository to check on that file Mac had mentioned. Let's see... he said he was looking for 'the case file on Winter devotion when the essence spike was inserted.' I wonder if that would be filed under "winter," "devotion (attribute)," "Devotion (Shard)," "essence spike," or "miscellaneous."

He had forgotten just how extensive the repository was.

AHA I found it. about 10 pages earlier on the page then I expected. Though I dont know why it didn't turn up when I searched it.

Mac was handed a folder by an alcolyte, and flipped through to The Strangers explanation of Winter Devotions case.

"You see, Test Subject 52, or was it 79? Anyway, Winter as you know her underwent a, unique procedure. I was testing a breakthrough, and 
she seemed like a wonderfully helpful person. And so Winter became one of the first ever receivers of an Essence Spike, something 
I'd whipped up in Alley 9. Though it was simply meant to be a stepping stone in the path to my goal, it turned out to be a fantastic 
discovery in it's own right. 

I was able to spike out a Soul."

The Stranger grinned with delight, reveling in this revelation and the awe of the other Denizens.

"Not just a piece of a Spirit-web, but an entire soul. There are two entities inhabiting her body as we speak: The Girl, and The Wolf.

It was one of our semi-sentient wolves Redbird had crafted here in the Alleys, fine craftsmanship all around. Interestingly, the 
transfer didn't quite go as planned. Instead of the wolf taking over and subduing the girl's consciousness, it chose to cohabitate 
with her, in a semi-mutualistic relationship. With her cognitive and spiritual Identities so radically changed, the test subject 
gained the ability to shapeshift.

Unfortunately, there were a few unforeseen side-effects. One is that occasionally the Wolf will fight the Girl for conscious-dominance,
 resulting in apparent madness. However, as an expert in the art of madness, I can assure you that the test subject is not mad, just a 
little mixed-up.

The other slight issue is that this merging of souls, combined with the extremely high hemalurgic energy I used, left her rather 
susceptible to Shardic Influence. As such, she may be having a few interesting conversations in her head that she'd rather not have."

Hmmm. So it seems like this man is reacting to this, like Winter should have reacted to the essence spike. 

"Interesting. From this transcript of the Strangers description of the Essence spike, I am gathering that the feelings that this man is experiencing, are consistent with how one would expect an essence spike to function. Very interesting.

I think that what the stamp did was create an artificial soul, and then input it into the essence spike. The essence spike then overlaid it with the subjects soul. While that definitely was unexpected with this, it is interesting to know how the stamp affected it. 

Now I would hypothesize that in order to achieve our original affect, we would have to recreate the soul of a person, and spike out their original soul. Then we can insert the manufactured soul into the empty body."

Looking at his lab assistants, "What do you guys think?"

"Yes, I agree," KoTiel said. "Spiking out the whole soul would be difficult though, and would be the same as killing the subject. Perhaps it would be easier to kill them first using something like a shardblade, and then apply the spike?"

You just beat me to it. Also, the reason we couldn't actually find what exactly happened and instead only found the analysis was because it was part of Winter's backstory, and never happened in the RP.

Laurelai thought the problem over.

It made sense of course, she'd only studied Hemalurgy briefly, but an unkeyed coppermind did a lot for speeding her progress along. A single spike could add something to a soul if it was charged, or if it was uncharged, could take something away. But it couldn't simply change one thing into another, that wasn't the purpose of Hemalurgy.

But it was the purpose of Forgery.

"What about using another stamp?" She asked. "An initial stamp on the pers- er.. subject. It wouldn't last long if it's generic, but we could then give permanency to it with the spike? Create an artificial hole in the spiritweb, then replace it with the spike, even when the stamp expires it won't be able to reassert itself since something has already replaced it and the identity of the subject has changed."

She lowered her gaze to her notes again. Waiting to be chastised or corrected.

Interesting. 

Btw, Voidus, sorry that Mac isn't giving a lot of emotional responce to Laurelai. He doesn't notice this kinda stuff.

Looking at KoTiel, Mac said, "True. That could very well work. And it has the added benefit of not having any damage to the body."

He then turned to listen to Laurelai.

"That right there, that is a very smart idea." He grabbed a cookie and ate it in 2 quick bites. 

"What your saying, Is to make a stamp and apply it to them. Once the stamp takes affect, we spike them and that spike keeps the stamps permanency? How would that work? Would the stamp create a hole in the spirit web that we would fill with a spike? Once the spikes in, even if the stamp tried to reassert its self, its pinned on there with the spike right? I love it."

Fred realized something.

"Boss, I figured out how to fix the issue. We have to write it to override the other! Also, yes, that technically works! It should even be able to change the type of investiture a person has, which could be a powerful weapon!"

Edited by Badadah
Wrong character name...=(

KoTiel saw someone walk in. "Who is that," they wondered, "he doesn't look like he belongs here." Immediately, the meaning of that sunk in. "Mac, intruder," they said. Immediately, they started channeling the dor, and tried to slam him into the wall, in order to stun him.

"Lets use this one. We already have the stamps made." Mac looked over to the man who had walked in. Without a second glance, he warped that mans head off and across the room. "Ok, it does seem like it should work. Laurelai, I need you to do the stamp. You can use your boon at this point if you want, unless the bane will affect the experiment detrimentally some how."