Theory on The Sibling (spoilers)

dariosus

I’ve been thinking about a few different facts and wondering if they could be connected

There can only be 3 bondsmiths at a time.

One, bound to the Stormfather which happens to be on Honor’s retinue.

The second is the Nightwatcher which happens to be on Cultivation’s spectre. 

The third is the Sibling but shouldn’t it be tied to a Shard as well? What other Shard happens to be at Roshar? Could the Sibling be higly related to Odium?

Even more, Hessi’s Mythica suggests we don’t know much about the 9th Unmade. Could it be the sibling?

Maybe I’m seeing too much where there isnt nothing, but I thought it was worth the discussion

YES! ANOTHER SIBLING THEORY! These are my favorite. 

Yes, it is highly probably that is related to another Shard in some way, shape, or form, and probably Odium, but really, we don't know; it might be a mix of Honor and Cultivation.

Questioner

The line about "three of sixteen [ruled] and now the Broken One reigns" - did Odium follow three other Shards to Roshar or is he the third Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Odium is the third Shard on Roshar.

Footnote: The questioner is referring to the epigraph of Chapter 11 of The Way of Kings: "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns."
source

This ^ seems to suggest the third Bondsmith would be some form of Odium connection, but there's nothing hard and fast as far as I'm aware. 

We will find out soon, though:

Jozomby [PENDING REVIEW]

At the time of the Recreance, were there any Bondsmiths?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

This is a plot point. You are supposed to be asking that question.

Jozomby [PENDING REVIEW]

I was mostly trying to find out if the Sibling was bonded, and if the break in the bond is what caused the Sibling to go into slumber

Let's just say this is a RAFO with the promise that I intend to answer the question relatively quickly.

source

Edited by Invocation

11 hours ago, dariosus said:

Even more, Hessi’s Mythica suggests we don’t know much about the 9th Unmade. Could it be the sibling?

This particular bit I dont think will pan out, on the logic that if there was a God-spren among the UnMade then they'd have their Bondsmith equivalent. 

XS-Terrain [PENDING REVIEW]

Also, does each of the Unmade have a corresponding order of the Knights Radiant?

Eh... Kind of.

XS-Terrain [PENDING REVIEW]

Ok. So there are nine Unmade right, so which one is left out?

Bondsmith. But it's not as one to one, there's some fuzziness in there.

source

The problem with that is the 3rd ideal of the Bondsmiths. 

I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.

Which, if I'm honest, doesn't sound like something someone related to Odium would say. I know the ideals change, but the taking of responsibility seems to be the main thing, and I'm not sure that fits with someone who is allied to Odium

I actually don't think the Sibling is necessarily connected to Odium directly. If the reasoning pans out correctly, we have two known higher spren who existed before the Shards showed up and annexed them, Stormfather and Nightwatcher. There appears to have been a third super spren related to stone who was probably the Sibling, but I'm not convinced it was co-opted by Odium.

It sounds like Brandon confirmed that the Unmade were Odium's collective equivalent to the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

1) The Nightwatcher and Stormfather are parallel entities such that Nighwatcher:Cultivation :: Stormfather:Honor.

2) There is sort of a parallel for Odium, but the parallel is the various Unmade instead of a single entity.

3) They are parallel in that they are all Splinters.

4) The Unmade are voluntary Splinters, because Odium ("like almost all of the other Shards") voluntarily Splintered part of it's power.

5) The Stormfather is different from the others because it's a Sliver.

source

• 1 year later...

Sibling is not sibling to Stormfather and Nightwatcher.

Sibling is the head sibling among the siblings of "Stones" ....these are gemstones which contains the Oathgates...each Oathgate has 2 siblings.

So 2 times ten Oathgates, 20. Plus ten platforms of Urithiru. That's another 20. Plus the head Spren of Urithiru. Total 41 Spren make the Sibling.

6 hours ago, Wyndle88 said:

Sibling is the head sibling among the siblings of "Stones" ....these are gemstones which contains the Oathgates...each Oathgate has 2 siblings.

So 2 times ten Oathgates, 20. Plus ten platforms of Urithiru. That's another 20. Plus the head Spren of Urithiru. Total 41 Spren make the Sibling.

This seems a bit out there. First of all the Spren of the oathgates both seem to be different types of Spren. Also, those all seen to be too separate of objects to form nice connection. The last thing is that 41 isn't a significant number on Roshar. I know this one sounds a little weird but both Roshar and scadrial have a certain number that is linked to their magic system.

21 hours ago, Wyndle88 said:

Stormfather calls him the third sibling

Also why are you posting in old topics?

• Chaos locked this topic