if rithmatist was cosmere, which shard would it have?

king of nowhere

sanderson said in some signing that rithmatist was originally planned as a cosmere novel, before he changed his mind about having something similar to earth there.

that means he already had a good idea of which shard was there. now that shard ceased to be in rithmatist as it got kicked out of the cosmere, but it will probably be on some other planet we haven't seen yet.

Any idea which shard it is and if it could be in one of the new stories?

• 2 weeks later...

Orrginally it would be something like creativity, but the laws of the magic seam far to focused for that. There is to many rules in it for just free creativity. Since the history in this world is extremely different because of different conquests, and the fact that the rithmatist have to work hard to keep the wild chalikings from conquering the world, it may be conquest. This may also explain the strict rules in it, like the rules of war.

I think that he decided too early on to nix the idea of it being Cosmere to pick Shard(s) for it. I already think that the apparently symbiotic fashion by which the powers are given is too similar to the Stormlight Archive, but that's pretty theoretical as of now...

Creativity, Order. . .

It's also clearly a play on real life Christianity, we can see this by the way their church is set up, the architecture and things like that.

Actually it comes out and says that it is a Christian sect in the book.  More specifically I would say it is a parallel to the Anglican Church, i.e. the Church of England (for the most part-ish).  Both are headed by the monarch of England (or Brittania).

They also both give out magic powers.  Oh wait... I'm not supposed to talk about those am I?

Actually it comes out and says that it is a Christian sect in the book.  More specifically I would say it is a parallel to the Anglican Church, i.e. the Church of England (for the most part-ish).  Both are headed by the monarch of England (or Brittania).

They also both give out magic powers.  Oh wait... I'm not supposed to talk about those am I?

It's pretty fine. The magic powers of the Anglican Church are very well known already. Where else could the greatness of British accents come from but from magic powers?

It's pretty fine. The magic powers of the Anglican Church are very well known already. Where else could the greatness of British accents come from but from magic powers?

Yes, yes the Accent, you have discovered us.

(Awesome, the Secrets are still safe, they think it's the Accent!  They'll never suspect us non-British Anglicans until we rise up with our powers of [Redacted] and take over the world!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I disagree with this. This book happens in an alternate universe to the world as we know it. The church revolves not around a savior but "The Master" who would be God. It is connected in some way to Clockwork. The Church is only similar to the Church of England in name.

I disagree with this. This book happens in an alternate universe to the world as we know it. The church revolves not around a savior but "The Master" who would be God. It is connected in some way to Clockwork. The Church is only similar to the Church of England in name.

Yes it is an alternate universe and that has affected things.  However I stand by my comparison.  The book comes and calls the Church of the Monarch a Christian sect (it also references Buddhism existing).  It emerged in Britannia (i.e. England) and is headed by the Monarch of that nation, just like how the Anglican Church is headed by the Queen of England.  Yes the Monarchical Church incorporates clockwork and other mathematical things, which is explained by the integration of Rithmatics into its teachings.  Rithmatics does change things but I don't think that makes the comparison invalid.