Threnody Hint

The Sovereign

At the Seattle Skyward Signing we got the following WOB:

MarShadow [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

What new statement can you give us about the Cosmere that would give us a bunch to speculate on?

Brandon [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

I'm not sure there's something new I can say. Um... I think rampant speculation about the Threnody novel would be cool. So, you have seen a hint in the books about the Threnody novel that no one has asked me about the thing.

source

I've been giving this some thought and I've come up with a few things Brandon might be referring to:

1.) The Ghastly Gondola story from the broadsheet in Bands of Mourning; We see Nazh using a "gun" that appears to fire a Threnody Shade. This to me indicates that similar to a Spren a Shade can be captured and used to power a Fabrial.

2.) In Secret History Nazh says to Kelsier that becoming a Cognitive Shadow is a deeply personal choice and that there are procedures that need to be followed. In Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell we see that being withered by a shade to death will turn you into a Shade but I would guess that following the precepts that Nazh alludes to would allow you to become a shade and possibly retain your mind, this would explain the IRE's worry about them as they are clearly very dangerous and if you applied sapience it would likely only make them more dangerous. Alternately the shades could be more like the Unmade where many are mindless but some (The Deepest Ones perhaps?) can think.

3.) The last thing I came up with is the obvious question about Homeland and the Evil. This actually seems the least likely though as it definitely does not fall into the category of "No one has asked me about the thing".

We’re going to have a Threnody novel? Yes! Threnody’s one of my favourite settings by Brandon, so atmospheric, and the Shades are just awesome.

As for speculation, I can’t really say much. I hope we get some more insight into the fortfolk in the novel though, they seem really interesting.

On 11/18/2018 at 8:01 AM, Agent34 said:

More like a cancerous form of Forging.

Interesting, I had never seen this WOB before.

Kurkistan

If you're on Threnody and you get Withered by a shade, are you better off burning Allomantic aluminum, or tapping Feruchemical gold?

*laughter*

[clarification on the question]

Brandon Sanderson

They would both work pretty well. I would say if you burned aluminum, that would kind of have the effect that you are wanting it to have, which is the effect-- negating and sucking out, so it's probably safer. But the gold would work, too.

Kurkistan

So would it be fair to describe withering as a kind of cancerous Forging-

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Kurkistan

That just kind of slowly takes over your soul?

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

source

I have also seen a WOB that basically said that the eye burning from a lethal Shardblade wound was a very similar mechanic to withing.

Edited by The Sovereign
Added WOB

• 2 months later...

Maybe it is the possibility of Sebruki using some kind of investiture. Sebruki seems to have "snapped", shows some eerie traits, and the bolt she fired seems to have been potentially influenced by fortune. 

The other option comes from secret history. The Ire speak of Threnody as a force of people who might get in the game, not a random horde of shades. Maybe there is a Cognitive Realm City on Threnody as well? 

On 1/29/2019 at 0:11 AM, teknopathetic said:

The other option comes from secret history. The Ire speak of Threnody as a force of people who might get in the game, not a random horde of shades. Maybe there is a Cognitive Realm City on Threnody as well? 

What is the temporal relation? Had Threnody recovered or net yet suffered the catastrophe at the time of Kelsier's death?

Also what happens to your soul if you become a shadow? And if the shadow subsequently dissolves? Does your soul blow away?

On 1/31/2019 at 1:41 PM, Oltux72 said:

What is the temporal relation? Had Threnody recovered or net yet suffered the catastrophe at the time of Kelsier's death?

Also what happens to your soul if you become a shadow? And if the shadow subsequently dissolves? Does your soul blow away?

Well, Odium has to have already hunted down and injured Ambition before getting stuck on Roshar, which happened at least 4,500 years before Way of Kings. Era 2 of Mistborn happens at about the gap between books 5 and 6 of Stormlight Archive and is only 300 years after Era 1. So, yeah, Ambition had already died on Threnody by the time Secret History happened.

13 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Well, Odium has to have already hunted down and injured Ambition before getting stuck on Roshar, which happened at least 4,500 years before Way of Kings. Era 2 of Mistborn happens at about the gap between books 5 and 6 of Stormlight Archive and is only 300 years after Era 1. So, yeah, Ambition had already died on Threnody by the time Secret History happened.

The timing makes sense, but the implicit assumption is that the Evil was Ambition's death or immediately caused by it. Is there evidence for that? I would say there isn't. For all we know they tried something with Shades and it went horribly wrong. Catastrophies leading to devastation on a planetary scale are not unheared of in the Cosmere.

23 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

The timing makes sense, but the implicit assumption is that the Evil was Ambition's death or immediately caused by it. Is there evidence for that? I would say there isn't. For all we know they tried something with Shades and it went horribly wrong. Catastrophies leading to devastation on a planetary scale are not unheared of in the Cosmere.

The cataclysm cannot be directly related to Ambition's death.  The Evil only appeared in the Homeland less than a Century before the events of the novella.  Ambition and Odium's battle happened millennia ago.  

Now, the Evil itself (whatever it is) could have come from the battle (a ripped off chunk of Ambition's Investiture, as referenced in Arcanum), but it only just recently moved to the Homeland.  

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

I mean, I wouldn’t say that is the implicit assumption. That is the assumption most people make when they first learn about the greater Cosmere’s events, but I don’t think there’s anything in the books that implies that the Evil is a result of Ambition’s death in the system.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 6:11 PM, teknopathetic said:

Maybe it is the possibility of Sebruki using some kind of investiture. Sebruki seems to have "snapped", shows some eerie traits, and the bolt she fired seems to have been potentially influenced by fortune. 

I believe you are misinterpreting Fortune in the Cosmere. You seem to be equating it to luck. It is more like clairvoyance and seeing/knowing/predicting/interpreting the future. Think of Fortune more in terms of a "fortune teller" than "that was very fortunate".

As for her having snapped, this I agree with*; I highly doubt she snapped in an Allomantic sense (I have seen some theories that suggest she is a worldhopper or Scadrian decent and whatnot). Instead I think we are seeing a constant of the Cosmere in that severe trauma can damage your Spirit Web. I think we are seeing something very similar to the screams Szeth hears when he closes his eyes when Sebruki stares at a wall blankly.

Edited by The Sovereign

• 1 month later...
On 31.1.2019 at 8:41 PM, Oltux72 said:

Shadows for Silence is set between Warbreaker and Stormlight, so within the 300 years after Secret History. Threnody has definitely not recovered. However, it's probable that the discovery of the Forests of Hell and the cataclysm of the Homeland by the Evil hadn't yet happened by the time of Secret History, because that was 100 years before Shadows for Silence. So that would be the case if that novella was set in the latter 200 of the 300 possible years for it to occur in.