The Forge

Karnatheon

"My skillset? Well, I'm not sure exactly how I could be helpful. For the first half of my life, I hunted down the corrupt and killed them, and that's the last thing we need. And now I'm only just returning from what I guess I'd call training." My father was a carpenter though, so I might be able to help refurnish the buildings, if you need that done." Veil said "also, what's this about a kidnapping? Like I said, I used to hunt people like that for a living, being a skybreaker and all" 

"Carpentry could be useful. We do need to furnish the homes that are repaired. As for the kidnapping, there is an old abondoned building that we were going to repair, and there were several families living in it. When we went there a while ago it turns out that they were all gone, with the exception of a little girl who said that some men came and took her mother and everyone else as well. One of them resisted and the men knocked him out and carried him. The little girl didn't get taken because she hid and they didn't know about her. I'm working on a plan right now to hopefully draw them back, so we can find out what happened. We don't really have any other way of tracking them down. Your expertise could be really helpful in that area." Laonin said this while idly carving a soulstone.

Aeodin shook himself out of his stupor when Laonin addressed him.  "The war, of course," he said with a smile.  He listened to Veil's position and thought on it a little.  "We could spread rumors that the little girl escaped, maybe lure them back to finish the job," he suggested to Laonin.

@Ookla the Ring

"What war? Is there another war happening? This is exactly what I'm talking about. People with too much power for their own good. Luring them back won't be a problem, I assure you. Once I'm done with these stamps, they should come quickly enough. We'll just need to be ready for them when they show up. If you all have any preparations you need to make to ready for a fight, I would probably do so. In case this issue can't be resolved by talking things out." Laonin said this as he continued working on the soulstamps.

"Wars are always brewing in this cursed city" Amon proclaimed as he stepped out of his hiding place. He wasn't sure if they had known of his presence or not. But he liked to overcome fear by throwing caution to the wind. He's causing a big disturbance and then allowing people to get this close to him? It's a miracle he hasn't been assassinated yet. He kept his bronze burning. watching for any sudden investiture spikes. 

He continued aloud, "I can't help in a fight, but I do make a good scout or watchman. It would seem that you need the second option more than the first." He was smiling as he said this but still apprehensive. Will they see through my bold words? Do they know that I'm terrified?

Just kinda jumping in... hope that's ok:D

Edited by Steel Inqusitive

"I'll prepare than." Veil responded to Laonin. "As for a war, I agree. Yet, this one is going to be unlike anything we've ever seen"

Veil turned his head as a man emerged from the shadows. Ah, so he had finally revealed himself. About time. 

"Nice to meet you Amon. Names Veil. May I ask, why are you here? Obviously to help in some way, but why we're you drawn to this place?" Veil asked as he prepared himself, closing his eyes for focus. 

@Steel Inqusitive 

Edited by ShardBreaker

Amon's eyes flicked to the silvered haired one, Veil. This was the one he was least sure of, but if Laonin trusted him then he was probably not a threat.  Then again Laonin seems to trust everyone.

"I believe what you do is important," He responded trying to look at all of them at once. "The people of this city are close to giving up. They can't take much more. I'm not specifically skilled craftsman but I do watch. And the guilds watch everything."

He focused on Laonin, "If they found out about you, and rumors are spreading, some of them wouldn't appreciate you 'cleaning their messes'. Some of them don't appreciate anyone who gives hope to the people. Too much of a chance a new guild could arise. I don't want you to die."   

Hi guys, sorry that I haven't been responsive. My life has been a bit blah and I've had stuff going on. But alas, let's continue.

Ishek appreciated Ishek's proposal. Efficient, as Ishek liked it. As the skybreaker approached, a sickly blackness where his eye should be, Ishek regarded the man. The eye only drawing his attention for a moment, Ishek was more drawn to the way the man held himself. A fighter, limber and free. In response to the mans inquiry, Ishek waited for Laonin to answer before replying with "What he said, or something."

As the man - Amon - stepped from the shadows, Ishek found an explanation to the smell he noticed thanks to his tin mind. Uninterested in what followed, he agreed with Laonin's eventual statement to prepare for fighting. "I'll fill some metalminds" Ishek remarked, then moved off to do so. He didn't really need to store any attributes. His metalminds were filled with hours upon hours of attributes, but a bit mor couldn't hurt. He sat himself down in a comfortable position by the forge proper, and deflated as he filled his metalminds, eyes glazing over and earning a far off look.  

In response to Laonin's query, Aeodin explained, "Yes, the fourth wall has been broken, and the one called Solace has been running amok and killing indiscriminantly."  Aeodin conitinued, in a grieving voice, "I received word from Galvris a few hours ago.  Valdwen, well, Solace killed Valdwen."  At this, Aeodin bowed his head and drew in a shaky breath.  He jumped, surprised as a man stepped out of the shadows.  That's right, think about the task at hand.  There'll be time for grief later.  He introduced himself as Amon.  A watchman, Aeodin thought, could be useful, considering what happened to me.  In response to Laonin asking them to prepare, Aeodin began drawing offensive and defensive Aons in stones.

Veil jumped to his feet as soon as he heard the name Solace. Striding over to Aeodin from where he was sitting, Veil looked the man straight in the eyes. 

"I need you to tell me everything." Veil demanded. "When did Solace start killing? Does anyone know why? I've been gone so long...this just doesn't sound like him. He always had a purpose for everything. For him to kill with no reason... Things have changed so much in the time I was gone." Reasserting his stare at Aeodin, he repeated "I need you to tell me everything." 

@King Taravangian

Edited by ShardBreaker

Laonin set down the stamp he had been working on, after giving it a close inspection. He then picked up a blank one and began carving into it. Suddenly a man stepped out of the shadows. Considering all the people that had been appearing out of nowhere recently, it didn't even phase him anymore. The boy spoke up, offering his help. It would be nice to know people wouldn't keep wandering in here unannounced. He and the other newcomer exchanged some words, then the boy expressed his concern over the guilds interference. 

"I don't fear the guilds, boy. Or death. If I was afraid of everything with the power to kill me, I wouldn't be able to live. I would hide myself away, and never see the light of day again. No, the only thing I truly fear is myself. The fear of wondering what I would become if I was to gain the power I judge others for abusing. It is good to hear that the word is spreading though, and if I am bringing hope to the people then things are indeed going better than I could have ever hoped." Laonin paused for a moment as he said this, a distant look in his eyes. It went away after a moment and he continued his work.

Aeodin then began speaking, something big did sound like it was going on, though nothing too troublingly close. "Fourth wall? I didn't realize the city even had walls, let alone four of them. I'm sorry to hear that Aeodin. I didn't know Valdwen, but he was obviously close to you. And who is this Solace you speak of, I'm afraid I don't know him either, though it sounds I might not want to." Laonin continued to carve, deep in thought. Abruptly Veil went over and began questioning Aeodin about this 'Solace' character. It seemed he knew who he was at least. Laonin listened to what was being said as he worked on his stamps.

@ShardBreaker

@Ookla the Ookspren 

@King Taravangian 

@Steel Inqusitive 

Edited by Ookla the Ring

While Laonin waited for the conversation to continue, he got up and stretched. He walked over and grabbed some more coffee, relishing the rush of caffeine. He packaged up some of the things he had forged, and put them back in the crate they were delivered in. He attached a note to the crate, and carried it outside where it would wait to be picked up. He then went back inside and grabbed himself some food, offering to share with anyone else in the room that was hungry.

As soon as Laonin set the boxes down, the man who had been watching the back door of the Forge took notice. Grole had been seated on the soot covered sidewalk across the street for the past six hours, waiting to pick up the package. Quickly, he got to his feet and stretched his arms. He then hustled over to the box and picked it up.

"Rust," he muttered. "Guess I'll be burning pewter for the next hour." Grunting, he hefted the box. After that, he looked around to check that no one was watching him, then began walking away. 

...never to be seen again.

Except in the Space Travel thread.

Aeodin looked up, surprised, as Veil strode over and began interrogating him.  "Solace always has been evil.  I used to support him, but then I saw what he did in Oasis City.  He killed almost all of Oasis's citizens.  There was a civil war within the Ghostbloods a while back, and Solace decided to murder pretty much all of our ranks.  He also ran many horrible hemalurgic experiments.  On top of all that, he had the shard of Justice killed.  I think he has a motive.  His motive is to kill, and usurp, and demoralize the alleyverse.

Demoralize means to dishearten, disencourage, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with morals, it has to do with morale.

Laonin sat and ate his food, listening to the discussion going on between Aeodin and Veil. After swallowing, he wiped his mouth and piped up, "By the sound of that, I am indeed glad I had no clue who he was. I definitely wouldn't want to encounter the likes of him." Laonin then finished his food and put the dishes away. He grabbed some more coffee, and went back to the table.

Referencing the notes, and his stamps, he compared the two to quickly ensure he hadn't made any mistakes. He then took up a couple of the other stamps he had carved, and checked them over. These ones were relatively simple. They merely changed the history of his bar of metal, so that he had stopped forging it after a specific iteration, instead of changing it every time. The hope was that by intentionally forging each item, and then changing it, he had imprinted on the bar that it was supposed to be each of them, instead of none of them. He grabbed the bar, pressed a stamp into ink, and then applied it to the end of the bar. The bar quickly changed shape into that of a spear. He then pried the stamp off, reverting it to the bar. He then grabbed a different stamp, and applying ink to it, pressed it into the same spot. It rapidly changed to a large hammer this time. Satisfied his intention had worked, Laonin restored the bar to it's original form, and left the room.

A couple minutes later, Laonin walked into the room with a couple of strapped cases. He opened one, and inspecting the stamps already inside it, re-closed it. He then opened the other case up, and neatly placed the stamps into it. With his two cases strung over his shoulder, a couple more stamps in his pocket, and his walking stick in hand, Laonin turned to the others. "Well, I'm ready to head back to the building when you all are. Don't want to keep the girl waiting too long now, I'm sure she misses her mother. Amon, I don't believe you know the way, or I would suggest you scout ahead. Would it be better if you watched our backs instead, at least until we reach the building, then you should keep an eye out for the gang. Veil, I'll let you decide how to proceed for yourself, I don''t know exactly what your Skybreaker abilities let you do, I would just recommend you stay close. Aeodin and Ishek, you're with me. We're going to go to the building, and once I apply this stamp to it, I doubt we'll need to wait very long for them to return." Assuming everyone else was ready to go, Laonin then headed toward the door, determination evident upon his face.

@Ookla the Ookspren 

@King Taravangian

@ShardBreaker 

@Steel Inqusitive

Clever. Amon thought watching the tool change under Laonin's carful care.

"I'll follow," He replied to Laonin's request? demand? It was hard to tell with him. "I'll stay close. You guys probably couldn't lose me if you tried." That was a truth. they were all apt at their arts, but so was Amon. With bronze burning, he stood, ready to go.

@Ookla the Ookspren

@ShardBreaker

@King Taravangian

@Ookla the Ring

Switched to first person for a sentence......

I was trying to wait for Ookspren and Shardbreaker to post, but it's been like 2 days, so I'll at least start us in the right direction.

Laonin looked at his assembled group. He had known none of them for more than a day or two, yet for some reason he trusted all of them to watch his back. The more dangerous ones could have killed him long before now if they had desired, so maybe his trust was justified. Walking to the door, Laonin opened it, and let everyone file out, then closed and locked it.

Looking down the road, Laonin began walking toward confrontation. He thought things over in his mind again, making sure he hadn't missed anything. Not knowing who to expect made things interesting. It could be a random group of thugs, or an organized syndicate. He hoped he wasn't getting them all in too deep. As the building came into sight, Laonin quieted his mind. It was too late now to turn back, worrying would only prevent him from staying clearheaded when he needed to be.

Walking up to the building, he went inside and looked to where the girl had been. She was lying there, apparently sleeping now. He didn't blame her, she must have been exhausted after going through something like that. He walked over and sat some more food, and some water down next to her. Then he walked back outside, and sat his cases down on the ground. He took a set of stamps from his pocket, and walked to the building's cornerstone. It didn't need to be placed here, he just liked to put it there to remain consistent. Applying ink to the stamp, Laonin crouched down, and pressed it into the stone. The ink sunk down in, leaving a small recession in it's surface. He watched as the building sat there, then suddenly grew back to it's former glory, standing hundreds of feet in the air. It was massive, beautifully constructed, and visible for quite a ways into the distance. That was part of the plan. Then Laonin took the second seal, and applied it next to the other one.

This stamp seemed to take longer to take effect, as though the building was hesitant to change. It relented finally, and suddenly the building was covered in a blinding light, shooting out in all directions. It had taken a lot of work on Laonin's part to alter this building's history to the point that someone would have coated it with neon signs, and electronic billboards. Then he had to further modify it so that it received a surplus of energy enough for it to glow this bright, without overloading everything. That had been the experimental part. It seemed to be working though, and that meant that hopefully whoever had taken these people would return.

Laonin stood up and put the stamps in his pocket. He walked over to the cases again, and opened one, pulling out a few of the stamps. "Well, this should more than get their attention. I don't know how long it will take for them to show up, and I can't guarantee more than them won't show up either. But here is where we can fight. Everyone, take up your positions where you think you would do best. I'll be here, waiting to speak with them, to hopefully avoid a fight. But be ready for that not to work." Laonin then took one of the stamps he had pulled out, and applied it to his walking stick. It changed into a thinner, more mobile staff. He then walked over to his other case, the one that had been filled before he had pulled it out. I told myself I would avoid using these as long as I could. Obviously our need is great, but is it worth the cost. What's to guarantee it won't backfire, and we won't end up in a worse situation than before? Bowing his head, resigned to his decision, Laonin took one of the stamps out. To anyone paying close attention, it was a very ornately designed stamp, and was filled with markings. Laonin stood, and put it in his pocket, walking back to the front of the building.

Laonin leaned on his staff, and bowed his head. He had never really been one to pray, as there were too many gods to pick one to follow, even if he wanted one. He viewed the gods in a similar manner to how he regarded those with power in the Alleyverse. They cared too much for their own gain, and not enough for the hardships of others. They used him and others like him as pawns for their own amusement. But given the situation, he prayed anyway, not knowing who would hear him, or caring. Whoever's out there, hear me now. I have done nothing but strive to help the downtrodden, and to lift them up. I have made personal sacrifices greater than any I would have comprehended in my other life. I don't know quite what to ask for here, but I just, don't want to fail these people, who have placed their trust in me. Help me stay strong. Thanks, I guess. Laonin then raised his head, and stared into the distance. Awaiting the arrival of whoever was going to show up.

@Ookla the Ookspren 

@King Taravangian 

@Steel Inquisitive 

@ShardBreaker

Amon settled down across the street from the suddenly bright building. Sel, he thought to himself, I never did make it to Sel. He smiled. Once the danger was past, he would have to interrogate Laonin and see what he could find out about the Selish magics. For now he needed to stay focused.

Are there supposed to be invested bad guys? As a bronze misting it would be awkward if some else found that out before Amon...... 

@Karnatheon

@Ookla the Ookspren

@King Taravangian

@ShardBreaker

Edited by Steel Inquisitive

I honestly haven't decided who I want to show up yet. So, if someone else doesn't introduce our NPC villains, I will in my next post. They could be Invested. They probably should be Invested, or this will be an easy fight honestly. I just don't know what kind of Investiture.