The Forge

Karnatheon

Ishek looked disturbed at the news of inquisitors being present, and felt even more disturbed by the presence of even more powerful hemalurgic constructs. Hide it. Don't let them see your weakness. He had to push that away, he couldn't let that grief consume him once more. 

For now, all Ishek could do was assist these people, he could not return to those times. 

By the way guys, I feel like I should have drawn attention to this earlier but Ishek does have a shardblade (albeit a small one, only about 5') strapped to his back because he doesn't yet know how to bond it. It's on his profile but I thought I'd make it known.

Hey =) since I volunteered to summarize this thread I'd like to ask a small favour of you. I've followed the forge loosely ever since it started, but since I didn't participate, could you read through it, if I got it right and mentioned the most important points? Only once, since I'll follow update the summary weekly from now on.

Spoiler

The forge

Location // IT owned by Laonin (Karnatheon)

The forge is the home of Laonin. Laonin strives to rebuilt those parts of the Alleycity, that haven’t been rebuilt until Era 2. Mostly that concerns the poorer parts of the city, and those that were hit the strongest by the explosion. Laonin accepts the help from those willing to help those, that can’t help themselves.
Laonin gets visited by Alask (@ ….), Nekorb (@ ….) and Ishek (@...). Nekorb is badly hurt and after they introduce themselves, they bring him to the hospital (see Einladung Hospital).

Returning to the forge they eat dinner together and Galvris and Lord Moerevor arrive at the forge (and later Aeodin as well) (@...) offering their service to Laonin as well. After another round of introductions, Laonin presents a plan, how to go on with reconstructing the city, handing tasks out to those around. He also invites them to stay at the place directly next to the forge, once he finished reconstructing it. The day ends with them going to sleep.

The next morning Alask and Nekorb meet and go to the “headquarter” of the thieves guild to make a plan to steal the necessary supplies Laonin asked them to organize.
Aeodin gets attacked, but Laonin manages to heal his wound by using an Aon Aeodin himself drew before blacking out. Afterwards, Aedin tells Laonin and Ishek about an enemy in the DA, that spiked him. He spikes himself and regains his Elantrian powers.

Meanwhile: the Alleystorm hit, and a small black blob eats the stormlight caught in spheres, depleting them again and again, until they shatter.

Edited by Sorana
changed formatting

Laonin looked Ishek over. He seemed curious about Hemalurgy. Not in a bad way, more as a concern for the evil of it. Laonin was pleased to hear that. Hemalurgy was an atrocity, the purest form of selfishness. Killing someone else for power, and willingly damaging your own soul to gain it. "Well, should we be off? We've got lots of work ahead of us." Saying this, Laonin continued on their way.

After walking for a while, the building in question came into view. Although building was a strong word for it. The pile of rubble surrounding what remained of its first floor indicated that it had been large. Seeing it come into view, Laonin got a pep in his step. Finally, back to work. He approached what was left of the front door of the building, and looked inside. It was empty, quite unlike how it had been when he had last been here. There had been families here before, people with nowhere else to go. What had happened to them? Walking further inside, Laonin took a closer look around. 

There were still signs of the people who had been living here, refuse, and some small personal belongings. There was even a fire in the corner. They haven't been gone for long. Suddenly Laonin heard a noise in the corner, and turned to look. He couldn't quite make out what was there, in the shadows, so he crept forward carefully. He looked over the piece of rubble that was blocking his view of the area, and saw a small child, crying. As he walked around the rubble, the girl looked up at him and yelled, "No! Go away! You already took mommy!!!" As she said this she scrambled up and ran underneath a small worn out table, cowering. 

Laonin crouched down, and looked at the little girl. She was maybe 8 years old. She looked a little malnourished, but not too bad all things considered. Her clothing was pretty tattered, and she looked like she hadn't been clean in a long time. Laonin quietly said, "I didn't take your mother. I'm here to help you though. Can you tell me what happened to her?" The little girl continued to cry for a moment, but then wiped her face and looked up. 

"The bad men took her. They came in, and they said everyone needed to come with them. I had been playing hide and seek with mommy when they walked in so I was hiding over here. So she told me to keep hiding and went with them. Uncle Bobby tried to tell them to go away, but they hit him and carried him off anyway. It scared me a lot."

Laonin looked over by the doorway, and noticed a little pool of blood he had missed before, hopefully the man was ok. "I'm sure your mother is fine. Do you have any other family?"

The little girl concentrated for a moment, "No, I don't think so. It's just mommy and me and uncle."

Laonin moved a little closer. "In that case, you need someone to take care of you until your mother returns. Do you want to come with me? I've got some food, and a nice warm house you can stay in while I find her?"

"No. Mommy told me not to go with strangers. Especially if they offer me food. She told me to wait here for her, so I'm going to. I can take care of myself. Uncle Bobby taught me how." As she said this, she pulled out a small butter knife. "See, I can fight pretty good too."

Laonin looked troubled, "I'm sure you can. Are you sure your mother wouldn't want someone to watch over you for now? It's dangerous out here all alone."

"Uh-huh. She told me to stay, so I am. She'll be back soon anyway. She promised."

Laonin stood up. Reaching into his bag, he pulled out an apple and a sandwich. He had planned on eating these for lunch. "How about I just leave these with you then. I know your mother said not to trust someone who gives you food, but I'll just leave it here in case you get hungry. I'll be back." as he said this he set the food on top of the table the girl was huddled under.

Walking back out the door, Laonin gestured to his companions. "Do either of you have any idea who would have taken the people from here? I know there are some gangs that operate around here, but they usually don't do something like this. I don't know why they would want to capture a bunch of starving homeless people."

@King Taravangian @Ookla the Ookspren

Edited by Ookla the Ring

Veil appeared. Somewhere. He wasn't exactly sure how. It just happened. Looking around, Veil saw where he was standing. 

"Been a long time since I've been to this place." Veil said out loud. This placed seemed vaguely familiar. The Forge, they called it. "Wonder what was here before seems a little bit run down. Oh well." With that, Veil went off in search of the nearest person. (Veil is back everyone! For those of you who don't know, Veil's a character that I used long ago. It's been a while since I've done any RP, so I may be rusty. So what exactly is this place? Didn't really feel like reading the longgggg intro...) 

I would recommend reading the nice summary the Sorana compiled in the post a couple above your own. But basically, my character Laonin is trying to repair damaged buildings in the Alleycity, and has been joined by a few people willing to help. The summary I mentioned will give you a more thorough synopsis of events though.

@ShardBreaker

Honestly, this is the character I currently have the most connection to. If you decided to show up, there is literally nothing I could do to stop you. I would be fine with that happening a bit later possibly, but there are a couple things I want this character to do before he dies. So, for now I would really prefer if you didn't.

@Kidpen

Eyeing the girl in the corner, a half smile on his face, Ishek watched Laonin struggle with his negotiations with the child. As Laonin turned back to them, Ishek's face returned to it's regular deadpan expression, focussing on Laonin once more. 

"I know as little as you do, less in fact. I can't help in this regard"

@Ookla the Ring 

Aeodin regarded the little girl, scrutinized her story, and examined the room.  "It could've been the DA abducting someone for their... expirements.  Justice send it's not so, for if it is, her mother will not be the same person she was.  Of course, seems a little personal to be them.  They usually take volunteers or people who will not be missed.  It sounds as if the girl's mother was in on it somehow."  He trailed off, looking thoughtful.

@Ookla the Ring

I think that if a place on the alleyverse were truly destroyed, different characters would come back to inhabit and rebuild it.  I don't think that you can destroy a place in alleycity without destroying the alleycity itself.  All places in the alleyverse have a place, and all are an essential part of character development.

Veil started awake. He didn't rmember falling asleep, but apparently that was the case. Looking around, he realized he was lying slumped against a wall in an alleyway. Right. He was in The Forge. "Well, I better get back to finding someone" Veil said out loud. But first he had something to do. Sitting up he removed the eyepatch covering his left eye. Blinking, Veil sighed. It was still there. Returning the eyepatch to it's original place, he closed his one normal eye. It was time. 

Standing up, Veil responded, "names Veil, skybreaker of the third ideal. I was involved in that war however many years back. That's how I got this." Veil lifted the eyepatch from his eye. Under the patch, in place of the eye, was an inky darkness that seemed to move around of it's own accord. "Got this when a chaos marine took out my eye. Anyway, enough about my past. Do you have any idea why I'm here? I have a suspicion, but maybe you'll know better than me" 

@King Taravangian

Edited by ShardBreaker

Laonin listened to the responses of his companions, but upon hearing nothing more definitive than he had already deduced, decided they probably wouldn't be able to figure it out here. He watched as Aoedin teleported away, to who knows where. The man had many motives and seemed to travel a lot. Given that finding this girl's family was probably more immediately important than fixing the building in question, he made a decision. "Since none of us know who might have taken them, I am going to attempt something a little unorthodox to get the attention of the people who captured her. I will likely need to stay up the remainder of the night working on it, and then in the morning I should be able to implement it. Let's head back to the Forge." Saying this Laonin looked inside once more at the little girl, and then headed back home.

Rushing in order to make it back in record time, Laonin say the shipment of materials on his doorstep, and checking the note attached to the delivery, shoved it in his pocket and began transporting it inside the forge. He grabbed out all of his tools, and prepped his work station, readying the forge to be ignited. It was at this point he noticed the stranger there. "Hello there. Are you an associate of Aeodin's? If you need me, I'll be working, just let me know."

Laonin took out the beginnings of the soulstamps he had readied for the building, as well as all of the notes me had made. "Ishek, would you mind going over the notes I took on the structural integrity of the building? I believe I addressed all the issues in place, but given your large knowledge banks you could probably catch something I missed, or improve upon a design flaw. I need to begin working on these, so any changes you make just let me know. Assuming you're willing at least."

He began writing carving some of the more basic soulstones that would be the building blocks for the others. He described the structure, the changes in it's history that would prevent it from being destroyed in the first place, and the process by which the modifications he had in mind would have happened. He carved, and referenced, and made notes all the while, hurriedly completing his work while also making sure he didn't miss anything. Realizing it was going to be a late night, he began brewing a pot of coffee, to help keep himself awake. Reaching the point where he needed to wait on Ishek's confirmation of his notes, he decided to begin working on another of the projects he needed to complete in order for this to work,

Laonin changed his outfit, and was now wearing old, sturdy clothing, and a thick leather apron. Walking over to the forge, he ignited it, piling in coal to begin the process. He then gathered the materials he would need for this to work. He had been theorizing about this particular project for some time, but hadn't taken the time to attempt it. It would indeed be a challenge. Laonin took some steel he had already removed the impurities from, and stuck it in the forge to heat up. In order for this to work well, he needed to maintain a mindset of, change, and indecisiveness, while also being firm in his actions. Pulling the metal out, he began hammering it into submission, changing it's shape to suit his needs, and reheating it whenever needed to maintain it's pliability. Slowly the shape of a sword began to take form, and finishing it with one final strike, Laonin set it down, and grabbed a drink and a small snack for a break. He then went back over to the sword, and shoved it into the forge, reheating it, and hammered it back into shapeless steel. He then proceeded to repeat this process, making the steel into an item, then reverting it back into metal. He made it into a hammer, a pick, a shield, a short-sword, and any number of other things, taking a break between each iteration. After finally running out of things to turn it into, he reverted it back to steel one last time, and finally made it into a rod, about 4 feet in length, something the size of a walking stick. He finally finished that one, and set it down.

Having finished that, he then took gold, and began forming it into countless balls the size of gumdrops. These he made quite a lot of, and set the finished products in a crate. Having finished all of that, he checked the time and realized he had already spent over half the night working, but he still had a lot of work to complete in order to finish the tasks he had decided upon. Walking back to the table he had been working on the soulstamps, he looked at Ishek. "So, what were you able to figure out?"

@Ookla the Ookspren

@King Taravangian

@ShardBreaker

Accepting the notes from Laonin Ishek set himself down by a small stool, folio arrayed in front of him, and got to reading. He scrutinised each plan with precision. Architecture wasn't his specialty, military history and tactics took that place, but he had a good pool of architectural treaties in his metalminds. 

Finally, a task where he actually had some use. He worked quickly and efficiently, scribbling notes in shorthand on the pages borders. 

The plans were mostly good, Laonin seemed to know his business. There were a few minor corrections he had made, but nothing serious. 

Ishek couldn't help but feel somewhat disappointed, at the first chance he had to actually do somethinh, he proved not needed. 

He looked up to find Laonin approaching, and in response to his question replied "Not much more than was done. Some minor corrections, but nothing to notable. You do a job well"

With that, he grabbed a mug and filled it from the jug of coffee. Cold, annoyingly, but still coffee. He savoured that taste and awaited for more from Laonin.

@Ookla the Ring 

"Excuse me for a second," Veil said, stepping away from the man named Aeodin, Veil walked over to the man who had greeted him. Nodding to the man named Ishek, he turned to face both of them. He had his eyepatch tucked in his back pocket. How people reacted to the eye revealed a lot about that person. "First off, no, I just met Aeodin. It seems like all of the people from the old days seem to have their own paths to follow. Second,  let me ask you Laolin, Ishek, why are rebuilding this place? What is your purpose?" Veil asked "oh yeah, and how can I help?" 

@Ookla the Ring @Ookla the Ookspren

Edited by ShardBreaker

Aeodin raised his eyebrows at the eye.  "Afraid not.  Wasn't here for that war.  I was away on Sel when it happened."  He said.  He followed him when the man marched over to Laonin and Ishek.  He felt for the Aon in his pocket, just in case.  He looked out of the window, and started.  He stared away into the east.  "Something's coming," he muttered, "Something big."

Laonin took the notes from Ishek. "You do a good job as well Ishek. I apologize for wasting your talents with this. The corrections you made here should help significantly. Perhaps the two of us would be better suited to tag team projects? You could survey a second building while I work on the stamps for the first one, and once I'm done with the first, I could begin work on stamps for the second while you begin surveying a third, and so on. That would maximize the work we could accomplish I think. I want to make sure you're able to apply yourself here."

Laonin then turned to the newcomer. The man had a black void where one of his eyes should be. Laonin couldn't help but stare for a moment, but having seen worse he shortly decided to ignore it. "My purpose? Well, my reason for being here is to help people. I feel that for too long the people of the Alleycity have been trod upon by those with power. Anyone without the power to defend themselves gets pushed to the wayside. People with power are left unchecked and allowed to do whatever they want. The last time any number of people got together and tried to do something they started the 7 Day War, and the city still hasn't fully recovered from that. I'm trying to fix that, by trying to fix the problems those responsible have left behind. And I'm doing so in the way I know how, using my skills to reforge the buildings that were destroyed in war, and hopefully by doing so eventually reforge the hearts of the people who were destroyed in it." Realizing he always went on for far too long when he got onto this subject, Laonin stopped himself there. 

"As for how you can help, that depends. We've been working to reconstruct buildings. We have a couple other people going to obtain resources to help in our endeavor. There was  kidnapping recently that I'm currently trying to take care of. And the building next door needs to be renovated as well, to make space for everyone who wants to help out here. What kind of skill set do you have? Knowing that would help me know how you can help." Laonin said this thoughtfully, then turned to Aeodin.

"What do you mean, that something is coming? Do you mean that in the literal sense, or the metaphorical sense? Like, an army? Or 'danger'?"

@Ookla the Ookspren

@ShardBreaker

@King Taravangian