The Forge

Karnatheon

14 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“The Whiterose Church?” He asked. “Ardents always have fabrials, and they’re a great guild, and not as threatening as some of the others.”

Lena paused and looked at him strangely. "You want to rob a great guild?" She asked slowly and started to cut some carrots, brocoli and zuchini. Absently minded she added it to the pan, then filled another pot with water and set it to boil.

She considered his idea while she filled a mixing bowl with water, eggs, flour and a little bit ot salt and started to make a dough. "That's risky. We know close to nothing about their security or the layout of the building. Nor do we know where we might be able to find a fabrial. For this to work we should do some reconaisance first, then plan how to get in there."

"I like the idea. Robbing a great guild. That's even crazier than robbing Alleyzon. We need to make sure that they won't recognize us though."

10 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

So, Aln promised to deliver a fabrial to the Forge; when would you like me to do that? I don't want to interrupt anything that's happening, or muddle up the timelines. You can have it be an implied delivery, if you want, but I want to be sure that Aln keeps her word.

Now is fine ^_^

Yeah, now is fine :)

On 20/10/2019 at 7:45 PM, Sorana said:

“I like the idea. Robbing a great guild. That's even crazier than robbing Alleyzon. We need to make sure that they won't recognize us though."

“Easy, we’ll get disguises. Like we did in the sewers?”

She was on board with the idea. That was good. Robbing a great guild was no small deed, even the Church. She was right, they were completely blind about security. And if they had guards, what Investiture would they have? It didn’t matter, he decided as dark thoughts returned to their mind. If they worked for the Church, then they were members of the guild. And if they supported the guilds they needed to die, no matter what. And he was sure Shez could handle them.

“We’ll see whether anyone comes from our note, then we can go scouting. Come back, plan, then off for the heist.” Even thinking about another heist he could feel his heartbeat prick up.

15 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“We’ll see whether anyone comes from our note, then we can go scouting. Come back, plan, then off for the heist.” Even thinking about another heist he could feel his heartbeat prick up.

"Let's eat dinner, and if nobody is here by then, we can leave a cheap mobile, so that they can follow us?" She suggested and stired the vegetables in her pan.

"Do you want to aim for a peaceful Alleyzon, or do we go all in? Depending on that I'd like to check out their water supply or not."

You can hop in whenever you want to/ have the time to do so, that's why I suggested to leave a mobile as an easy means to contact our characters. The pace will be rather slow, but I don't want to feel like your characters have to show up now.

@Voidus

@Silva

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“Do you want to aim for a peaceful Alleyzon, or do we go all in? Depending on that I'd like to check out their water supply or not."

“Well...” Alask looked to the side, where Mart was playing.

“Alleyzon wasn’t a guild,” he said, gaze hardening and turning towards Lena again. “The Church is. I say we go all in.” And he knew Lena would probably like that option as well. Anything to try out new poisons, though he couldn’t blame her for trying to find other outlets for her hobbies. Such as aiding him on his night walks.

10 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Well...” Alask looked to the side, where Mart was playing.

“Alleyzon wasn’t a guild,” he said, gaze hardening and turning towards Lena again. “The Church is. I say we go all in.” And he knew Lena would probably like that option as well. Anything to try out new poisons, though he couldn’t blame her for trying to find other outlets for her hobbies. Such as aiding him on his night walks.

Lena followed his eyes to Mart, silently watched him play for a moment, her grin vanishing. "He should be growing up with a nice family. Somebodies who care for him, do his homework with him. That won't leave him behind."

A rare, pensive expression on her face she took her bag, started to sort through it. "What's your body weight?" She asked him and unlocked a cupboard just outside the kitchen. She had kept her flat with her plants and animals, but had moved a part of her stash here, carefully hidden in a secret compartment. "I've got a few things that can help."

With a final, noiseless leap, Zyn landed atop another tiled rooftop. Across the street he could see a building that matched the description he'd heard. The Forge was well known in some parts of the city, but not many had actually visited it to know what it looked like, just a general location. But after another hour of asking around Zyn had been able to get the location and description of the building, only requiring a small tip to do so.

Doesn't look like any kind of trap. No precursors around. Zyn thought, watching the building for a few minutes.

There seemed to be a little activity inside, but he couldn't see any figures keeping an eye on the street or suspicious people loitering in the vicinity. Of course that still didn't mean they weren't there, but life was full of risks so sometimes you just had to take them. Half-slipping into an alleyway, Zyn scrambled down the side of the building, nimble fingers finding small gaps to use as handholds as he made his way down to street level and began to pass by the building. A small walk-by still revealed nothing interesting, so Zyn waited at the side of the house, hidden, until the street was a little emptier before taking a running leap at the side of the building. As his feet hit the wall he used his forward momentum to push up, giving himself a little more height and managing to catch a window frame on the next story up. Clinging precariously by his fingers, Zyn slowly lifted himself up, peering through the window to make sure there was no one else present, then slowly sliding it open a crack and squeezing his way in.

Still no one up here. Might have been on the up-and-up about this offer after all.

Leaving the small room he'd entered into, Zyn wandered around the interior until he found the stairs and descended back to the first floor, seeing a few figures in the kitchen, talking amongst themselves.

"So, you needed help with a job?" He called out loudly, leaning against the banister of the stair.

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

"So, you needed help with a job?" He called out loudly, leaning against the banister of the stair.

Lena whirled around at the voice, hastened over to Mart and made sure she stood between him and whoever had entered the Forge. Couldn't these annoying poor just knock when they needed something? It was nearly dinner time, they were done for today. And they wouldn't head out this night as well, not into this quarter at least.

Finally she looked over, registered the words and laughed at her reaction. Ever since the war she'd been a bit tense when it came to surprise visitors, especially with Mart around. "Zyn." She greeted him and returned to the kitchen, took Mart with her. "You saw our note, I assume?" She looked him over, smiled when she saw how he'd barely changed at all.

"We're planning a heist, yes." She replied and finished cooking dinner. "You're just on time to eat something. Let's talk about that while eating?" Placing some plates on the table she made an inviting gesture towards the table. "Basically we'd like to get some fabrials or motivators. Some to sell, some to use. As usual, you can keep what you'd get, although it would be great if we ended up with what we need."

The voice interrupted Alask’s thoughts and he hopped off of the stool, hand hovering over to the side of is hip, where he’d started keeping his taser. In times like these it wasn’t always useful revealing all of your cards, and if Alask revealed Shez every time he was in trouble the rumours would spread fast. Hence, his own weapons. He couldn’t rely on Shez for everything.

At the realisation his hand dropped from its ready position and he relaxed. “Hey Zyn,” he said, sitting back onto his stool and letting Lena explain the situation. Zyn, the acrobatic wonder. How had he gotten in? Alask dismissed the thought. It was Zyn, he found a way into the building even it meant squeezing into the tightest space humanly possible, Alask was sure.

“We’re targeting the Whiterose Church, and expect to do a little reconnaissance before we actually make our move,” he added on, leaning over the table.

“How’ve you been keeping up?”

@Sorana

@Voidus

Edited by I think I am here.

At the mention of food, Zyn felt a pang of hunger. He tried not to go hungry on a job, having your position given away by an inopportune stomach growl was both mortifying and potentially dangerous. But he hadn't been expecting to be out this long looking for the Forge, and jumping across rooftops was tiring work.

"Don't mind if I do." He said, nodding gratefully to Lena. "Thanks."

He pulled out the gestured seat and sat down to join them. Tilting his head to one side until he felt a satisfying cracking sound, Zyn let out a sigh of relief. Squeezing through windows was always a fun challenge but it could be torture on the joints. He continued on his routine, rolling shoulders, stretching fingers out, stretching the various muscles that he'd used to make sure they didn't stiffen up.

"Whiterose?" He asked as Alask continued. "The guild? The great guild?"

He shot a glance to Lena for confirmation and raised an eyebrow at them both when they seemed serious. They'd tried particularly hard to avoid any of the guilds back when they'd all been working together last, and while the Church might be the newest and probably least dangerous of the great guilds that didn't mean they were an easy target. Making an enemy of them was not something that had been on Zyn's to-do list.

"I have to say I admire your optimism." Zyn said. "What were you hoping to get? Must be something pretty big if you're seriously thinking about this."

6 hours ago, Voidus said:

"I have to say I admire your optimism." Zyn said. "What were you hoping to get? Must be something pretty big if you're seriously thinking about this."

Lena nodded and served him some food. Mart sat down next to her and she shot Zyn a look, that indicated a long painful death should he do so much as look the wrong way at the child.

"We need a fabrial, maybe a motivator of some sorts." She replied. "Most stores that sold these things have shut down, so the guild seemed like our best chance." She took Alask's plate and filled it as well.

"I know that we tried to stay clear of the great guilds, so if you have a better idea where to get that, then we are open for suggestions. As long as we end up with something fitting, at least I don't really care where we go." She place Alask's plate in front of him and then filled a smaller one for Mart.

"From what I've heard this guild should be as harmless as a guild comes, but you can never be really sure of course." She filled her own plate and sat down, mentioned to some bottles with different drinks that stood at one end of the table. "Help yourself, please if you'd like to drink something."

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Zyn faltered as Lena fixed him with the most intense glare he'd ever seen her give anyone. He broke eye contact, unable to continue meeting her gaze. She seemed satisfied at that and continued her explanation, doling out some food for all of them. As she gestured to a number of nearby bottles his eyes lingered for a moment with interest but he ended up shaking his head in polite refusal.

"Best not if we're going to be planning anything." He admitted. "But while the Whiterose might be peaceful enough I wouldn't exactly call them harmless. The way I heard it they fought off a Ghostblood attack didn't they?"

The story had bounced around the city a few months back, though most of it had been overshadowed by the invasion of the city that had occurred not long after. Some of the stories had probably been exaggerated, but enough rumours had similar details that there was probably a core of truth to it at least.

"Can't say I know anywhere else that would have a large stockpile of Fabrials or Motivators other than the other guilds, seems like a big target though. Anyone you know on the inside?"

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

"Can't say I know anywhere else that would have a large stockpile of Fabrials or Motivators other than the other guilds, seems like a big target though. Anyone you know on the inside?"

"Not yet." Lena took a bite and smiled in satisfaction. Simply and quick, but it tasted good. "We figured we should go there first, do some reconaissance, find a good way to go in and out."

She filled some apple juice into her glass and thinned it with some water, drank and swallowed. "I heard that the guild teaches, so we could use that as a pretense to head inside, take a look around. Search for escape routes, for way to get into it. With some disguises we might be able to get some information, so that breaking into there is easier in the end."

Lena knew that there were holes in her plan, large holes, but she wasn't sure how to close them apart from going there and trying to find out more information about the place.

Alask kept silent, eating his food and watching the two discuss. It would be better to remain silent, he wagered. That way he wouldn’t come off as too eager. Or too desperate. So he kept himself busy by running over the plan in his head, organising names and lists. Equipment, crew, scouting, heist. A simple list. Shez hummed in his thought’s periphery, not finding anything to object against.

“And you’re right,” he said to Zyn. He’d known there was some invasion that had happened, though he hadn’t known it was the Ghostbloods. Yet another case of the guilds warring on each other, probably causing a nightmare in property damage for the government to clean up. “Since the attack on them, I’d imagine they’d have improved security somewhat.” He shrugged. “Or maybe the attack weakened them. The only way is to scout. Do you know if anyone else is coming?”

Slowly Alask began to go through his previous thoughts. The government. There were other ways to help the Forge, he knew that. But politics? He certainly had the confidence to try and win people over, but who was he really? No one would vote for him, except for maybe the small amount of people in these slums who could read. But, what if he got elected? What then?

It’s a start, at least, he said and noted the idea in his head, made sure to remember it for later.

@Voidus

Edited by I think I am here.

It always felt the same. The nervous butterflies in her stomach every time she stood right outside the door.

She knew it was illogical. There was no reason to be nervous. 

Yet it never failed to happen, no matter how many times she tried to stop it. She understood it, though. Despite all that had happened, she knew that a part of her expected to find them all on the floor dead one day, just like the previous three times.

Eve pushed open the door and stepped inside quietly. Alask and Lena were sitting and eating dinner. There was another man there that she didn't recognize. She watched him for a few moments before completely entering and softly shutting the door behind her. On the way over she'd picked up some food and ate, so she didn't head over to join them. 

Instead, she walked over to Mart. The boy was busy doing his homework and she tried not to disturb him too much as she took a seat next to him.

9 hours ago, Silva said:

Instead, she walked over to Mart. The boy was busy doing his homework and she tried not to disturb him too much as she took a seat next to him.

Mart looked up when Eve entered the room and smiled happily at her. He liked Eve. She was nice. And she had told him a story. A good story. Not like the one the scary man had told him. The lonely scary man. He jumped to his feet and hugged her tightly, then lifted the book he had been writing into. "I have to write a story." He told her brightly. "Do you want to hear it?" Without waiting for a reply he added. "It's for the lonely man. I thought that maybe, he would like to hear a story."

===.===

Lena stayed where she was when Eve stepped into the Forge. She would realize what they were planning soon enough, maybe even agree to come along. She smiled when Mart immediatly started to speak to her, he was talking about her endlessly. Miss Eve, he called her, and she was happy to see that he had found someone else he trusted.

"I agree." She turned back to the matter at hand. "Let's scout and then we can see what happens. It's a great guild. They will have some valuable stuff and even if they don't have the fabrial, we can always steal something else, sell it and afterwards buy the fabrial we need."

Excited she smiled at those at the table, and at Eve as well. "I think that it's worth a try. We played things nice long enough." It was no fun to focus on the criminals on the streets. They made good targets for experimentation, but they were useless when it came to a real heist. One that made your heart beat faster and that challenged your skills. A real one.

"Do you want to come along Eve? We're planning to rob a guild." She asked the your woman and gestured towards some cake standing on the table as well in a silent offer to grab a piece.

@Silva

11 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Excited she smiled at those at the table, and at Eve as well. "I think that it's worth a try. We played things nice long enough." It was no fun to focus on the criminals on the streets. They made good targets for experimentation, but they were useless when it came to a real heist. One that made your heart beat faster and that challenged your skills. A real one.

Alask let out a small smile as well, looking down and taking another bite. When he’d first joined the Forge, he’d thought he hadn’t found a suitable replacement to thievery. That when he was getting shelter, food and money from doing the right thing, there was no need to go back to his old life.

He had been so very wrong. But at least now, he was stealing for a good cause. No, a great cause. One that would be remembered in these streets for years... once the majority obtained the education to read and write. But baby steps.

“This is good, really good,” he commented on the food.

"I'm sure he'll love it. Any acknowledgement helps him," she told Mart, smiling. "But we might have to wait a bit to get it to him, depending on what your mother is planning. I'll look forward to hearing it."

The thought of the Haunt did dampen her mood, though. It was a continuous weight on her shoulders. How do you help an intangible, invisible person be seen? There was an answer, she knew, it just eluded her endlessly.

Eve turned to Lena. "Sure. Which one? Whiterose?" All of the other great guilds would be too powerful, especially if something went wrong, and the Church was newer. Logically, it made sense that that would have been what Lena and Alask had deduced. "Scouting there shouldn't be too difficult. All we'd need is realistic seeming feigned interest in the religion. It also gives a pretense for future visits."

Deception of priests was low, but religion didn't feed or shelter most. It was the usual weighing of importance in morality. At the end of the day, the ends tended to justify the means. Besides, it wasn't as though they were trying to mess with them by impersonating their gods. They likely had more resources than they knew what to do with.

Zyn watched the new woman cautiously. Alask and Lena he knew, and he doubted they'd try to set him up, but meeting new people in the middle of planning was always a caution-inducing experience. But as she spoke he slowly relaxed, at the least she didn't seem overly interested in Zyn and if Lena and Alask trusted her then that was their responsibility to bear.

"Scouting is definitely going to be a good idea." He agreed, taking a bite of food. "As for anyone else, well there was nobody at the hideout when I visited but some of them still use it, might be possible."

He took another bite, savoring the warm food for a moment before giving his bowl a careful look. He was pretty sure Lena wouldn't poison him, but it never hurt to be safe, and that looked she'd given him had definitely promised an incredibly swift and painful death, who's to say she wouldn't deliver on that preemptively?

Lena smiled slyly at Zyn when she noticed him giving his bowl a careful look. She didn't say anything, but took a bite from her plate and then touched her fork against the pot. They were all eating the same. She could have prepared his plate, but as she hadn't known that he was coming, it would have been a gamble. And while she liked to gamble, she didn't plan on killing anybody in the Forge as long as Mart was there as well. Nor did she serve poisoned food here.

"I suggest we leave after we're done eating?" She asked and watched Mart show Eve a drawing he had painted earlier the day. It depicted them all, standing around the Forge and he had even included the Haunt. Or rather he had added several dark spots next to each other in a corner and she suspected, that he had meant the Haunt. His fascination with that creature - she couldn't quite understand it, but she hoped that it would end when he grew up. The invasion had been traumatic, that he told stories to an empty window was probably a harmless consequence of the things that happened.

I contacted Lith and Po so that they aren't surprised by this. They are alright if we more or less rp it on our own. The church teaches children and getting into the building will be pretty easy. There are some guards, but we should be able to more or less openly walk past them in daylight. Shae's art students are likely to show us around as well, if we appear to be lost. We can kill NPCs should we want to, except for the children (although I doubt that anybody here would do that).

Regarding the things we can steal: I specifically asked after a fabrial/ motivator like Alask and Lena search and the reply was along the lines, that there is basically nothing huge to steal. (Apart from the pouches a few guards might carry.) They offered to catch our characters and turn the whole thing into a combined effort to help the poorer Quarters of the Alleyverse.

If that target doesn't work for you, we can always try to rob another place, but I personally don't mind ooc to end up empty-handed in the end. And I can always add you to the pm, should you have questions of your own.

@Voidus

@Silva

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Getting caught does sound like it could open up to good RP. Though I’d also like to hear Voidus’ thoughts.

“After we eat is fine for me,” Alask said. It wasn’t like they had other duties pushing them to stay.

Only their duty to the Forge, such would be the heist. Or, rather, Alask’s duty to the Forge. To Laonin. He didn’t know about these others, Lena, Eve and Zyn, whether they cared about the community, about the people. Zyn, definitely not. He’d come here f9r the prospect of a heist, for money. Alask couldn’t blame him. He knew Lena needed a place to stay for her and Mart, though hopefully the altruism was beginning to get to them.

Eve... she seemed most like Alask. Seemed to want to do the right thing. Though it seemed her activism was for the Uninvested, than anything else. Their goals aligned for now... but what about later? “Now you’re just being paranoid,” Shez whispered to him, though Alask ignored the words.

23 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“After we eat is fine for me,” Alask said. It wasn’t like they had other duties pushing them to stay.

Lena nodded and continued to eat. It was nice that they had some company, even if it was only for an evening. When she was done she got to her feet and walked back into the kitchen. She looked Alask over again, considered to adjust the bodyweight she usually calculated him with and then decided against. He hadn't really gained or lost weight. Leaning against their fridge she looked over at Eve and Zyn and then nodded to herself. Difficult to calculate, but for harmless things it would work.

Humming she fetched some small, coloured bags and placed them on the counter, then she started to sort through her assortment. A pain-killer couldn't hurt. A weaker one for smaller injuries and a stronger one, for the real painful stuff. She liked that one, the side effects were funny, but as vulnerable as Shez was to silver something able to battle the pain of a severe burn wouldn't hurt. She tapped her fingers against their kitchen counter and then added a small vial and a finely ground powder. It should be enough, and if not, she would bring a larger selection herself anyway.

Returning to Alask she sat down and lifted the small green bag. "Pain killers. The usual type, nothing special here." She placed it on the table next to him, then held up the blued bag. "Another pain killer, but believe me, it will blow your mind. You'll have a real good time, once you took that one." Grinning she pushed the yellow bag with the powder over. "Can staunch a bleeding, but I advice against leaving it in the wound, could end in a nasty infection. But for emergencys it works fine." Her grin widened when she placed the vial next to the mix. "That one is a favourite of mine. Quick, deadly and utterly beautiful. It will destroy your nerves, attack you muscles and that dose will kill you within seconds."

Walking over to Zyn and Eve she handed them the same things, minus the vial. "Don't take them, if you don't trust me, but in that case, hand them back to me, please." She shrugged not really caring if they accepted her offer or not.

"Otherwise we can leave, once the three of you are ready."

@Voidus @Silva

=================

In the end everybody can have their character escape, if they want to, so each of us can decide individually. But yes, I agree it can make for an interesting plot line.

Getting caught works fine for me too.

"Wouldn't be here if I didn't trust you." Zyn mumbled, taking another bite to eat now that Lena had shown it wasn't poisoned.

He pulled the packets over towards himself, opening the blue bag up a little with some interest to examine its contents. It didn't look like anything special but if Lena said it would make for an interesting experience then he was certainly intrigued. But then again, Lena might have a different idea of what 'interesting' meant than Zyn would, hopefully it wasn't something that made you intensely fascinated with murdering people.

He tucked the bags away, setting his cuttlery down as he finished the last of his meal, cheeks bulging a little with food. He looked up to examine the rest of the table, eyes resting a little longer on Eve as he tried to get a gauge on her. Was this a group of people who could successfully infiltrate a great guild? He wasn't certain, but at the least he thought they'd probably manage to scope the building out without too much trouble. If things got sticky later on then there'd be some way to get out at least.

"Ready when you are." He said, taking a large swallow to finish his mouthful.