Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper

Serious Writing Problem

6 posts in this topic

So, one of the two main races (in a vague sense) that exists in my story are half animal, half human. One of my main characters is currently half koi fish, with an orange and white tail. This is partially to emphasize that she is less strong and mobile than other characters, and partially for the mermaid/siren imagery (which serves as character development later on). However, I'm struggling, now that I'm beginning to actually write the story, to figure out how to have her move, as typically, you know, fish can't move on ground. 

Does anyone have any advice for being able to get around this without stretching suspension of belief too much (and all that), or otherwise a way to keep the same story telling elements but making it more practical for her to move?

Thank you for helping me out with this.

Edited by Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper

Mucus layer and snake-like movements. Some fish actually do move on land using something similar, crossing between water areas. Google "walking catfish" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, warhamburglar40k said:

Any chance she could levitate off the ground, swimming through the air?

This would work, if you're looking for a more fantastical take on it.

Perhaps she could move like a mud-skipper, which is a fish that drags itself along the ground.

The more normal and possibly sensible option is to make them move in a wheel chair.