The Lord Ruler and Well of Ascension (Spoilers)

Stonerunner

I've been trying to think of what the Lord Ruler would have done if he had defeated Vin and taken up the power of the well of ascension a second time.

I like to think that the Lord Ruler would have changed Scadrial back to it's state before he first took up the power. But would he have had the knowledge to know exactly where to move Scadrial to?

I onetime asked Brandon, though I didn't record it. But in general he stated that what the Lord Ruler would have done would be based on his mod at the time. So if he could have taken it up relatively soon after the first time, my theory would be more likely. He said that based off his mood at the end of The Final Empire, he may have made things on Scadrial worse. He did elude that there are many different other theories he has heard. So I want to hear what theories you guys have regarding what would the Lord Ruler have done if he was able to take up the power of the Well of Ascension a second time. 

Probably for one thing made himself able to chain his immortality for longer, since eventually the atium compounding would have stopped being enough to maintain his age trick, whether that would be via making his Allomancy even more powerful or just rebuilding himself again to be immortal without the atium compounding (if that's possible). As to the rest of Scadrial, probably manifest more Lerasium so that he can mitigate the dilution of Allomancy from the nobles and redo the Feruchemist ---> Mistwraith thing (just to make sure). Pretty sure he would mostly be too far under Preservation's influence to do much else, unless he was having a really bad day of Ruin whispering to him.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

If Vin had not killed the Lord Ruler. I would think that the Lord Ruler would take up the Well of Ascension a year later. Would he have just fixed the world to be what it was pre-...?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

I think there are various theories of where this could have gone. Some, it would have been okay. I think that assuming things would turn out the way the Lord Ruler thought he was capable of doing would be assuming a lot, for what his state was at the time that he was *inaudible*. It is possible that things would have gotten much much worse. I'll just say that. I'm not gonna canonize either way, but I think there's a good argument in both directions.

source

Was this you who asked it?

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/367/#e11623

By the end of FE, the lord ruler was extremely weary of the skaa. He hated their interbreeding with the nobles, how unhappy they were with his rule, how they kept rebelling and pushing for change, pretty much everything that made them free-thinking human beings. He seemed pretty chill toward the nobles, with the exception of those who interbred with the skaa.

My speculation is that he would have deepened the divide between skaa and noble even further, reducing skaa capacity for intelligence and communication skills as far as he could without crippling their ability to work the field as slaves, and possibly forcibly making them unable to cross-breed with "nobles." I doubt he would have restored the nobles allomantic powers to early-ascention levels as that would be a big change, which he disliked, and he only gave them the powers to get them to join his empire in the first place. Needless to say, he would hunt down all the feruchemists again and change them to be unable to pass down their power like before. He seemed pretty confident in his breeding program and he didn't want to extinct the Terris, so I'm reluctant to think he would go much further than that. As far as climate changes, he would probably do his best, which would be better than the previous attempt, but still probably garbage compared to what Sazed did eventually.

He was oddly into hemalurgy, so he would probably come up with a new monster or two for funsies...

• Chaos locked this topic