Frost and the Seventeenth Shard

Onslaught

Question

So I had a question regarding Frost and the Seventeenth Shard. Hoid infers that Frost knew that Leras and Ati were dead.Did he learn this from Demoux or he can see into other worlds? Did Demoux learn about shards from Sazed/Harmony's letter to Spook because I assumed he had no knowledge of the cosmere during Mistborn Era 1? Have I missed some crucial piece of information?

7 answers to this question

On 11/11/2018 at 2:35 PM, RShara said:

I would guess that Frost can access the Spiritual Realm to a degree, or has informants. Have you read the Traveler exerpt?

If we take The Traveler at face value, I susoect that while he has informants he's also got some means of Spiritual Realm access. Hoid seems to have come straight from Scadrial with news of Leras and Ati's deaths (to the extent that he's still in his 'skaa informant' guise with ash in his hair) and even if he left as soon as he could after the latter's death he should have arrived at the same time as any message sent from Scadrial, not after it. Yet despite seemingly making a beeline for Yolen, Hoid's beaten to the punch in delivering that bit of news.

One other possibility is that someone he's communicating with possesses a spanreed or similar device, since Brandon apparently (paraphrasing being what it is) suggested those could be used for FTL communication. Though if so, clearly Hoid doesn't have access to it because his correspondence with Frost is being delivered the old-fashioned way.

Edited by Weltall

So Frost can't "look" through the spiritual realm exactly. The current thought is that the seventeenth shard are informing him?

I really want to know more about the seventeenth shard. Is Frost the head of them? How do they recruit people? I suppose most of it is RAFO.

12 hours ago, Onslaught said:

So Frost can't "look" through the spiritual realm exactly. The current thought is that the seventeenth shard are informing him?

I really want to know more about the seventeenth shard. Is Frost the head of them? How do they recruit people? I suppose most of it is RAFO.

I don't think we have any indication that Frost is working with the 17th Shard.  As a very old and powerful being (and a dragon!) Frost likely has many abilities, one of which could be peering into the Spiritual Realm, which is an ability that multiple characters have demonstrated.  

Edit: As Weltall pointed out, there is some sort of connection between the two, as detailed in Hoid's letter, but it seems somewhat loose.  

As far as more information about the 17th Shard goes, here's what we got:

From the Coppermind (the Cosmere Wikipedia): https://coppermind.net/wiki/Seventeenth_Shard

From the Arcanum (a collection of basically everything Brandon's said): https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?tags=seventeenth+shard

Edited by Scion of the Mists

As a devils' advocate statement:  it's possible that he doesnt necessarily have any particularly robust divination abilities but he that as a more naturally Invested creature he's "in tune" just enough that he can sense particularly significant events like the passing of a pair of Shards, ala Alec Guinness. 

On the other hand, in The Traveler Hoid specifically accused him of "Watching", sooo...

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I don't think we have any indication that Frost is working with the 17th Shard.

Hoid's letter to Frost in The Way of Kings says that he suspects he's being pursued by 'your friends of the Seventeenth Shard'. There's definitely some connection there even if they're not directly working for Frost.