Defending Elysium and Gran-Gran

Caevita

Defending Elysium spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

So, it seems (based on chapter one and elsewhere) that Gran-Gran has some level of cytonic abilities. She claims she "saw that" when Spensa rolls her eyes, seems to understand everything Spensa is dealing with regarding the "defect," and was trained to "listen to the stars" by her mother the confirmed Cytonic user to boot.

My question is, exactly how proficient is she? She can "sense" like Jason Write can, apparently, but do you guys think she can do any more than that?

I'll admit, I can't get a headcanon out of my head where Spensa is in trouble and Gran-Gran just teleports in and starts throwing mindblades around. But that's maybe pretty unrealistic considering she hasn't had a real teacher since the crash and the Krell have some kind of countermeasure in place for cytonics.

Side note: I challenge anyone to think of her as Becca Nightshade first and Gran-Gran second. I legitimately forgot she even had any other name until I was rereading chapter one to make sure I got my facts right for this.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:06 AM, Undead Wookiee said:

and regarding M-Bot

Hide contents

also noting that M-Bot has a cytonic hyperdrive as well when he was listing off his offline systems to Spensa... I wonder if that is the PC's FTL engine?

Yes, I think that's confirmed... Have you finished the book?

On 11/12/2018 at 6:43 PM, Undead Wookiee said:

nope only on chapter 32. I am pretty sure I know what the missing drive is at this point after Jason's demonstration at the end of DE

Gotcha. I will remind you that you are currently on the spoiler board, though I'm trying my best not to give you any more than my original post might have had.

15 hours ago, Undead Wookiee said:

I actually finished reading the book last night

now listening to the audio book from audible

Ah, congratulations. Yes, the cytonic hyperdrive does seem to be the FTL engine. The only question now is if Doomslug is capable of operating it, or if Branderson is just throwing us another red herring. On a side note, who's your favorite non-M-Bot side character?

@Caevita lol "non-M-bot side character" -- you know your audience. He definitely was my favorite. But to answer your question... Probably Jerkface, with Cobb in #3 and The Saint (real or made up) #4.

@Kingsdaughter613, what is that algorithm? I just finished DE and don't recall that reference.

@Caevita back to the OP, I just finished DE (and Skyward a couple days ago) and didn't make that connection with Gran-Gran and Cyto till now! Thank you for pointing that out. Agreed, she definitely has some Sense. Now I'm really eager to see if we see more of that. 

I'm also curious to see if Brandon is going to push DE in a year or two so more Skyward readers notice it. It provided a lot more context for Skyward than I'd expected.

3 hours ago, Fully_Invested said:

@Kingsdaughter613, what is that algorithm? I just finished DE and don't recall that reference.

Heuristic Algorithm and Reasoning Response Engine is a story that Brandon co-wrote. It’s also sci-fi, but very different than Skyward/DE. There’s one piece of technology that appears in both books (Atmospheric Scoops), but that’s probably just Brandon reusing the terminology. 

Edited by Scion of the Mists

I'm guessing he's reusing the term without the stories being linked, especially given how different galactic society is presented as being in HARRE. 'Atmospheric scoop' is a much more generic term than something super-specific like 'Cytonic Hyperdrive'.

And to the original post, yeah.

Spoiler

Given the last scene Gran-Gran is in I'm positive that she's got some level of the Sense and that's why Spensa is convinced that she's actually 'seeing' her at the end.

• 9 months later...
On 17/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, Scion of the Mists said:

Heuristic Algorithm and Reasoning Response Engine is a story that Brandon co-wrote. It’s also sci-fi, but very different than Skyward/DE. There’s one piece of technology that appears in both books (Atmospheric Scoops), but that’s probably just Brandon reusing the terminology. 

Thanks for the link! I think last time I checked, the page was linked to itself so I kinda... assumed it was some sort of inside joke? Like it requires you to reason bc it will lead you to the same page... or something. Lol. 

• 2 months later...