Hoid and Adonalsium

Gavtyven

I haven't read all the WoB's so there's probably one to contradict me this, or the theory may have already been posted once. However, I wanted to put it out there just in case.

The theory is that Hoid had some kind of relationship with Adonalsium, or the holder of Adonalsium. Whether this is family, or romantic (we do know he's had multiple love interests in the past), I don't know. Based on Hoid's seemingly wanting to get at least a lot of the different powers, and The Traveler, the very short story Brandon read at a signing a while back, I think this may be possible.

He may want to try to hold the powers to get a glimpse of his loved one, or believe that that may bring his loved one back. From The Traveler we do know that The Traveler, who is Hoid, has lost someone dear to him.

“You will not find a way to restore what you have lost, old friend,” the aged man said softly. ”It is impossible.” 

“You don’t know that. The old rules no longer hold.” The Traveler turned the pomegranate over in his fingers. ”Besides, I’ve heard of a place… It doesn’t matter. I don’t care. This isn’t about the dead… or it’s not JUST about the dead, at least.”

Potentially the pomegranate is symbolic for this, as in Greek Mythology it's a fruit of the underworld, and eating one of the seeds will force you to stay there, but that's relatively irrelevant.

That's basically it. If you have any input, I'd love to hear it

Hoid kind of thought the Shattering was necessary, and the Traveler reading implies it was so that he could change the rules of magic to make something possible. So I would guess he wasn't emotionally invested in keeping Adonalsium alive.

19 minutes ago, Gavtyven said:

What WoB said this, because I couldn't find something like it on the Coppermind. There, it only said he was present at the Shattering.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Did Hoid think of the Shattering as necessary?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

*pause* Kind of.

source

• Chaos locked this topic