Spam

Ark1002

My work-around for that is to post a status update on their page, then report my post. Alternatively, you could PM them, then report your PM's OP.

I find that the mod's response is often underwhelming in these cases. Usually they remove their About Me page, and purge the info from their bio, but rarely delete the account. Sure, most bots are harmless, and hardly worth reporting. For most accounts, people will only see the ads if they go to the bot's profile page. But leaving the account intact means their username is unavailable for real people, and it artificially inflates our member tally. I know that the mods don't want to accidentally delete a real person's account, so for benign accounts they often play it safe and just maim it, which is fine. But I wish they had an option to 'hide' accounts, like they can do to posts (maybe create a special title for bots, like the Arcanist and Global Mod titles, but it revokes the accounts ability to be seen). Or they renamed obviously fake accounts SPAMBOT####### to free up their username and make it obvious what they are.

That said, I don't want to take away from all the great work they currently do to fight bots. Y'all are super dedicated and on top of things, and I appreciate it. 

So it's very tedious to delete these bot accounts one by one. I likely can't. But I need an example of a bot to see if our flag as spam button removes About pages. Those ones don't qualify. 

It's not like the usernames are really causing a problem when it's a random string of letters.

15 hours ago, Archer said:

My work-around for that is to post a status update on their page, then report my post. Alternatively, you could PM them, then report your PM's OP.

I find that the mod's response is often underwhelming in these cases. Usually they remove their About Me page, and purge the info from their bio, but rarely delete the account. Sure, most bots are harmless, and hardly worth reporting. For most accounts, people will only see the ads if they go to the bot's profile page. But leaving the account intact means their username is unavailable for real people, and it artificially inflates our member tally. I know that the mods don't want to accidentally delete a real person's account, so for benign accounts they often play it safe and just maim it, which is fine. But I wish they had an option to 'hide' accounts, like they can do to posts (maybe create a special title for bots, like the Arcanist and Global Mod titles, but it revokes the accounts ability to be seen). Or they renamed obviously fake accounts SPAMBOT####### to free up their username and make it obvious what they are.

That said, I don't want to take away from all the great work they currently do to fight bots. Y'all are super dedicated and on top of things, and I appreciate it. 

I don't think anyone desperately wants wraisjghnivs as their username so we're probably ok on that front.... :)