Felt

KC Hammer

On 11/9/2018 at 0:24 PM, RShara said:

I think it means that he's tapping Connection to fit in and feel like he belongs on Roshar.

So, this is my first thought.  The problem is that he was born before the thinning of Terris bloodlines that led to Ferrings, so either he got a spike or he was always a full Feruchemist.  Or, possibly, he was given the abilities by Harmony specifically to scout.

As for standing out, it's possible that it's intentional.  Roshar is quickly becoming a hotspot for worldhoppers and cosmere-wide organizations, and maybe Felt is sending some sort of signal.  Similar to how Mraize doesn't hide -- anyone who wanted to push on Ialai and would recognize him would immediately have second thoughts.

Personally I think he's doing some sort of Connection trick, either from Feruchemy or something else.

11 minutes ago, FirstSelector said:

So, this is my first thought.  The problem is that he was born before the thinning of Terris bloodlines that led to Ferrings, so either he got a spike or he was always a full Feruchemist.  Or, possibly, he was given the abilities by Harmony specifically to scout.

As for standing out, it's possible that it's intentional.  Roshar is quickly becoming a hotspot for worldhoppers and cosmere-wide organizations, and maybe Felt is sending some sort of signal.  Similar to how Mraize doesn't hide -- anyone who wanted to push on Ialai and would recognize him would immediately have second thoughts.

Personally I think he's doing some sort of Connection trick, either from Feruchemy or something else.

Or he has a Connection medallion.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, robardin said:

Felt stand out already to Dalinar as having a "Shin-like apperance" in his pale skin and not-quite-right eyes, and only coming up to Dalinar's chest in height, but he's not all-the-way Shin looking to him, so... Maybe he's Felt with a few tweaks.

Also, the Nobles and the Skaa did not have great nutrition, even with Rashek's modifications. In addition to that, the Skaa-Noble interbreeding meant that many of the people, Nobles included, where closer to Skaa height. Roshar has both lower gravity and Stormlight nourishes all life, meaning that Kaladin is probably twice or close to twice the height of Vin. The Era 1 Scadrians where mostly Caucasian looking and since there are no Caucasian races on Roshar, that would make him stand out to the Alethi who look Indian.

On 11/10/2018 at 8:06 PM, FirstSelector said:

And, in the three hundred-ish years between times we see him, that is likely enough time for Felt to procure one.

That is a good point. Or he could be using a different hack similar to the 17th Shards aging hack.

There's a WoB from the seattle signing this week (although it hasn't been transcribed yet) that's pretty cool about Felt:

Me: Was Felt Cosmere-Aware during the events of Mistborn era 1?
Brandon: Yes
Me: Was he /directly/ involved in the interplanetary trade going through the Pits of Hathsin?
Brandon: Ehhhhh...whether directly or not....I'll RAFO that.
Me: Okay... Was Felt part of the Seventeenth Shard?
Brandon: Well, Felt's been part of many different groups over the years. But currently, he's not Seventeenth Shard.
Me: Currently as in Stormlight Archive?
Brandon: Yes, as of Stormlight he's not in the Seventeenth Shard.

So I'm somewhat inclined to think that he might have been significantly older than he appeared even at the time of era 1, meaning that he might have been up to some serious cosmere shenanigans then too. And he seems to have an interest in Shardic things; staying close to the atium, and later going to the nightwatcher.

• Chaos locked this topic