What’s your Callsign?

I think I am here.

Ugh this is a question I've wrestled with ever since I read Skyward...in the US military, you don't get to choose your callsign, your squad chooses it for you, so I was surprised that they chose their own in Skyward.  

I'm from Tennessee and still live here, so maybe something southern related... Callsign Whiskey?  Redneck?

Or as my loving wife tells me, "you were so skinny, you looked like a Somalian pirate back in high school" (this was 12 years ago, mind you, way before we ever met).  So maybe Callsign: Pirate?  I do like to lovingly bend and maneuver around rules I don't like, which is very piratey.  

Or, based on my username, just call me Toilet

On 1/4/2019 at 7:59 PM, Poopslug The Pooper said:

Ugh this is a question I've wrestled with ever since I read Skyward...in the US military, you don't get to choose your callsign, your squad chooses it for you, so I was surprised that they chose their own in Skyward.   

I was also set back by this. Its like picking a nickname for yourself. I don’t have a problem with it in the story since, you know it’s a different world and fiction, but I still can’t bring myself to pick a name for myself. 

For me? Callsign: Void or Callsign: Dimensional, something like that. Maybe Callsign: Bloody Mary.

And then, because no-one's done it yet - SA callsigns!

Adolin: Princeling

Kaladin: Bridgeboy (or Brother, depending)

Shallan: Horneater Princess

Veil (just bcuz): Veil

Radiant: Radiant

Dalinar: DAD

Navani: Techie

Lift: Raise

Moash: No. I refuse.

Renarin: Truthwatcher (I couldn't think of anything else)

Syl: Blue Fly

Pattern: Pattern

If I've missed any, feel free to supply your own, or dispute mine. I just came up with these on the fly.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:03 AM, NoiseSpren said:

Callsings in Skyward have the same first letter as your first name. Brandon confirmed it.

So I am Outburst.

What about Kimmalyn (Quirk)? Is it the first sound of the letter or the first letter?

Also if that'sthe case, my callsign would probably be Aster

Edited by SandersonFanderson

On 05/01/2019 at 0:59 PM, Poopslug The Pooper said:

I'm from Tennessee and still live here, so maybe something southern related... Callsign Whiskey?  Redneck?

Or as my loving wife tells me, "you were so skinny, you looked like a Somalian pirate back in high school" (this was 12 years ago, mind you, way before we ever met).  So maybe Callsign: Pirate?  I do like to lovingly bend and maneuver around rules I don't like, which is very piratey.  

Or, based on my username, just call me Toilet

This might surprise you, but Skyward isn't US military.

Edited by Sharshiblarb

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the release signing of Skyward where I live, and there was a mock pilot training academy. They told us our callsign had to start with the first letter of our first or last name. If that's the case, I'm Anarchy. A is relatively common so it won't give anything away.

Other than that, in order from best to worst, here are mine:

Bean

Riptide

Calamity

Anarchy

On 2/17/2019 at 0:04 AM, beantheboy12 said:

I went to the release signing of Skyward where I live, and there was a mock pilot training academy. They told us our callsign had to start with the first letter of our first or last name. If that's the case, I'm Anarchy. A is relatively common so it won't give anything away.

If that's how it is mine would need to change to Sarcastic :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:43 PM, theCrossoverManiac said:

For me? Callsign: Void or Callsign: Dimensional, something like that. Maybe Callsign: Bloody Mary.

And then, because no-one's done it yet - SA callsigns!

Adolin: Princeling

Kaladin: Bridgeboy (or Brother, depending)

Shallan: Horneater Princess

Veil (just bcuz): Veil

Radiant: Radiant

Dalinar: DAD

Navani: Techie

Lift: Raise

Moash: No. I refuse.

Renarin: Truthwatcher (I couldn't think of anything else)

Syl: Blue Fly

Pattern: Pattern

If I've missed any, feel free to supply your own, or dispute mine. I just came up with these on the fly.

Moash: Doesn't-deserve-to-live

I'd probably be Callsign: Rhetoric.

Here's some mistborn ones (as of bands of morning)

Kelsier: Sovreign

Rashek: Lord

Vin: Ascendant

Elend: AdVenture (I figured he'd do a play on words)

Sazed: Discord

Breeze: Zinctounge

Ham: Thinker

Spook: Survivor

Wax: Dawnshot

Wayne: Slipstream

On 1/9/2019 at 9:45 PM, Fenric said:

I was also set back by this. Its like picking a nickname for yourself. I don’t have a problem with it in the story since, you know it’s a different world and fiction, but I still can’t bring myself to pick a name for myself. 

Same! It just feels kinda wrong. Plus, I can’t decide. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...