luluzulu

Kaladin's Status, And What It Means

24 posts in this topic

At the end of WoR, IIRC, Kaladin was granted noble status and even some lands to rule over. Previously, after becoming a shardbearer, Moash was told he could choose a noble house to join, or found his own.

My question is, do we know if Kaladin joined an existing house, or founded his own?

(Also, if anyone knows, where exactly are his lands located? I don't remember  (T . T)  I need to reread)

We don’t know. I don’t think Kaladin cares honestly. And Alethkar is overrun by Voidbringers at the moment, so I don’t think it will matter until they get it back. 

But I guess that he either creates House Stormblessed or joins the Kholins. 

14 minutes ago, Wolly-The-Wuller said:

(Also, if anyone knows, where exactly are his lands located? I don't remember  (T . T)  I need to reread)

Near Kholinar, in a bend in the Windrunner River. A few towns are there, good routes to Kholinar trade too. 

Also Kaladin would totally found his own house so he could protect the people in his lands.

Kaladin Kholin... that just doesn't sound right to me..... House Stormblessed on the other hand, sign me up.

But I agree, he doesn't seem to care about these things. I doubt it will even be resolved after they deal with the Voidbringers.

I suspect it will be resolved at some point actually as part of Kaladin dealing with his issues.

But yeah I can't see Kaladin doing anything other than founding his own house. House Stormblessed indeed.

No, i think it would be like WoK prime where he joins house kholin. 

37 minutes ago, blessed peace said:

No, i think it would be like WoK prime where he joins house kholin. 

This.  Please this.  It would make Shallan his sister!

And thus kill Shalladin deader than it already is.

Edited by the_archduke

9 minutes ago, the_archduke said:

Apparently you've never seen the show Supernatural...

15 minutes ago, the_archduke said:

This.  Please this.  It would make Shallan his sister!

First Odium needs to say, "No Kaladin, I am your father". Then he and Shallan kiss... Then he joins the Kholins, making them siblings. (... ... ...For those who don't get it, this is a star wars comparison between Luke and Leia, and Kaladin and Shallan...)

(But in all seriousness, from the moment Shallan and Kaladin were stuck in the shattered plains, I was thinking, "No Brandon, please don't create this love triangle.".  I am so glad Shalladin isn't a thing anymore)

Edited by Furamirionind

I don't think Kaladin really cares about lands or prestige. His hands is full with being the officially the leader of the windrunners and basically Dalinar's right handman if we are being honest.

Tho he is certainly a natural at leading and ordering people around.

10 hours ago, Invocation said:

Near Kholinar, in a bend in the Windrunner River. A few towns are there, good routes to Kholinar trade too. 

Also Kaladin would totally found his own house so he could protect the people in his lands.

I think it was called the Death Bend River-- at any rate, I am sure it had "death" in its name. The Windrunner River is the one farther North that flows near Kholinar.

Edit Looked it up, it is the Deathbend, all one word.

Edited by CosmicSieve

15 hours ago, Mandrarin said:

Kaladin Kholin... that just doesn't sound right to me.....

Agreed. It would also mean that all the three main characters are Kholins... I’d rather have Kaladin stay Stormblessed.

14 hours ago, CosmicSieve said:

I think it was called the Death Bend River-- at any rate, I am sure it had "death" in its name. The Windrunner River is the one farther North that flows near Kholinar.

Edit Looked it up, it is the Deathbend, all one word.

My bad, thanks!

On 11/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, Invocation said:

My bad, thanks!

It really feels like it should be the Windrunner River, but nope, when Elkohar was looking for land to grant the former bridgeman who had had all his men slaughtered in Amaram's army, he thought "You know what would be perfect? Something with Death in the title!"

1 minute ago, CosmicSieve said:

It really feels like it should be the Windrunner River, but nope, when Elkohar was looking for land to grant the former bridgeman who had had all his men slaughtered in Amaram's army, he thought "You know what would be perfect? Something with Death in the title!"

That would have made for an awkward conversation if Kaladin had ever thought about it.

Or you know... They look at a map and go "available land here, give him that." 

I doubt the name of the river had anything to do with the choice. 

Edited by Calderis

When I said "Elhokar", I really meant "Brandon Sanderson". It is simply that I find it ironically amusing.

I do want Kaladin to survive and settle in his lands, though, and start "House Stormblessed", as others have mentioned.

Going off that, maybe the Glyphs on Kaladin's head chapters are a glyph-pair of "Storm" and "Blessed" to make his "new last name." This might look unlikely, especially since the glyph for "storm," - zeras - looks nothing like the glyph on the flag. But the glyphs for khokh and linil look very little like the glyph for Kholin.

Yeah, I would love to know what the cloak glyphs say! 

It occured to me that Kaladin was granted the lands because he is a Shardbearer. But his Shard is Syl, not something he can pass down to his heir. So if everything remains the same in Alethkar (I assume it won't, though), House Stormblessed wouldn't survive beyond Kaladin even if he had children; they would have no Shards and may well even be darkeyed.

1 hour ago, CosmicSieve said:

Yeah, I would love to know what the cloak glyphs say! 

It occured to me that Kaladin was granted the lands because he is a Shardbearer. But his Shard is Syl, not something he can pass down to his heir. So if everything remains the same in Alethkar (I assume it won't, though), House Stormblessed wouldn't survive beyond Kaladin even if he had children; they would have no Shards and may well even be darkeyed.

He could potentially pass his bond to Syl onto someone else such as a child.

3 hours ago, Agent34 said:

He could potentially pass his bond to Syl onto someone else such as a child.

Could he do that? It seems disrespectful to Syl to pass her on like a thing.

On the other hand; he would age and I guess Syl would not. Perhaps she would prefer a new bond instead of returning to her non-sentient stage upon Kal's death. 

7 minutes ago, Mandrarin said:

Could he do that? It seems disrespectful to Syl to pass her on like a thing.

On the other hand; he would age and I guess Syl would not. Perhaps she would prefer a new bond instead of returning to her non-sentient stage upon Kal's death. 

I meant it more as something he'd be able to do, of course Syl's wishes would have to be taken into account.

(spoiler box contains information from Elantris)

Spoiler

Seon bonds can be passed from one person to another.

Spren bonds can be "passed" like Seon bonds, though obviously the spren would have to be willing. So Syl could end up bonding one of Kal's kids or grandkids.