Skyward Typos/Errors Thread

Chaos

• 1 year later...

Skyward, page 52: we see the depiction of a Poco fighter, the one used by Skyward flight. The one Hurl was using when she died. The depiction is in the book, so I assume it's official. And we clearly see the cockpit in the back of the craft body.

Page 341: Spensa and Jorgen are giving burial rites to Hurl. The crash scenario is described. It said that the ship had broken in three parts, rear, middle and front, and that "a small chunk of the front fuselage - with the cockpit - had broken free". It's unequivocally stating that the cockpit is in the front, as close to the "tip" of the fuselage as possible.

this is completely incompatible with the drawing of page 51, where the cockpit is in the rear third. There could be some argument if the cockpit had been stated to have been in the middle section, but no. Look at it, there isn't even enough space to break off two segments behind the cockpit.

• 3 months later...

First, a typo: in the acknowledgements (US version), in the list of beta readers there is a comma missing after callsign: Chaos (just before Darci Cole). 

Second, some slightly weird phrasing: at the end of chapter 35, pg 350, there is this section: 

I pulled my radio from my backpack. "Hey, guess what, M-Bot. I have a present for you." 

"Mushrooms?" 

"Better." 

"...Two mushrooms?" 

I smiled. "Freedom." 

What reads as off to me about this is that M-Bot's second guess of two mushrooms is him thinking of something that's better than "mushrooms". The thing is, the only thing in that situation/mindset/joke that would be not as good as two mushrooms - since two mushrooms is better than it - would be one mushroom. In other words, M-Bot first guesses an indeterminate amount of mushrooms, next specifically two, which would only be a step up as a present if his previous guess hadn't already been plural, and therefore equal to or greater than two. 

My brain didn't catch on this until I'd read the book multiple times, and despite being logically weird, it's not something I can't imagine a person saying, since it's not like most people think and speak in perfect grammar, or put that much thought into random exchanges with friends. It's something that I noticed, and fixing it would be relatively easy (just change the first guess to "A mushroom?"). But I doubt it's something that will annoy most readers if you leave it be.