Skyward Typos/Errors Thread

Chaos

• Chaos pinned this topic
On 11/7/2018 at 6:56 AM, Porkchop726 said:

I'm reading on Kindle, US edition, pg. 162, 4th and 5th line. It says "Rig is good people. He'll take care of you." it doesn't make sense to use the plural form here. 

Agreeing with the others. "So-and-so is good people" is a pretty common slang.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2018 at 6:56 AM, Porkchop726 said:

I'm reading on Kindle, US edition, pg. 162, 4th and 5th line. It says "Rig is good people. He'll take care of you." it doesn't make sense to use the plural form here. 

Being that Spensa is talking to a robot, I bet she is saying he is one of the good people but it is some kind of cool Defiant slang. 

Edit: I just realised that tons of other people said this already. Sorry.

Edited by ElendVenture

• 2 months later...

I know a lot of people have talked about this, but "good people" is American slang and fairly common. It also shows up in the Dresden Files a few times when the protagonist sometimes says it there. I think I first encountered the expression about ten years ago and usually hear it mentioned a few times a year.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an (improbable) theory that involves this being significant, but it definitely isn't congruent with Earth biology, and is probably a research error:

"If I’d learned anything from collecting mushrooms in the caverns, bright colors meant: “Don’t eat me, or soon my brethren will be eating you, sapient one.” Better to not put the strange cave slug into my mouth."

Of the deadliest mushrooms in North America, Amanita phalloides is a boring yellow-brown, Amanita ocreata is a boring white, Gyromyces sp are boring brownish-grey, and Tricholoma equestre is a boring brown.  Meanwhile, several good edibles are very vividly colored: Laetiporous sulphureus is bright yellow-orange, Lactarius indigo and Clitocybe nuda are purpley-blue, and Russula aerugina is green, and fistulina hepatica is beefy red.  Yes, several brightly-colored mushrooms will make you vomit, but almost all the really deadly mushrooms have very boring appearances.  Warning coloration is definitely a thing for plants and animals, but not for fungi. This is partly because fungi are usually more interested in dissuading insects and (doom)slugs than they are in dissuading birds and mammals--amanita phalloides, for instance, DOES have warning coloration, but only in UV.

This will be even more true in subterranean caverns. Almost everything in caves is grey or white.  Why would an organism waste energy on energetically expensive pigments that nothing can see?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 4:08 AM, ecohansen said:

Warning coloration is definitely a thing for plants and animals, but not for fungi. This is partly because fungi are usually more interested in dissuading insects and (doom)slugs than they are in dissuading birds and mammals--amanita phalloides, for instance, DOES have warning coloration, but only in UV.

This will be even more true in subterranean caverns. Almost everything in caves is grey or white.  Why would an organism waste energy on energetically expensive pigments that nothing can see?

This is not scientifically gathered information.  I would not worry about it.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

This is not scientifically gathered information.  I would not worry about it.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/497399

"In this study, we have conducted the first formal analysis of the ecological and morphological traits associated with edible and poisonous mushrooms in North America and Europe. Poisonous mushrooms do not tend to be more colorful or aggregated than edible mushrooms, but they are more likely to exhibit distinctive odors even when phylogenetic relationships are accounted for. This raises the intriguing possibility that some poisonous species of mushrooms have evolved warning odors (and perhaps tastes) to enhance avoidance learning by fungivores. "

13 minutes ago, ecohansen said:

"In this study, we have conducted the first formal analysis of the ecological and morphological traits associated with edible and poisonous mushrooms in North America and Europe. Poisonous mushrooms do not tend to be more colorful or aggregated than edible mushrooms, but they are more likely to exhibit distinctive odors even when phylogenetic relationships are accounted for. This raises the intriguing possibility that some poisonous species of mushrooms have evolved warning odors (and perhaps tastes) to enhance avoidance learning by fungivores. "

Are am speaking about Spensa.  She did not go about gathering information about mushrooms in a scientific manner.