Sequel Predictions? Spoilers All

Use the Falchion

How do y'all think the story is going to progress? SPOILERS FOR POPULAR POST APOCALYPTIC YA SERIES! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If it was a "normal YA" story, they'd:

Find out that other societies humans exist and there's a rebellion going on by the end of book 2.

Spoiler

See Catching Fire, Insurgent, and The Scorch Trials

Have the main character be crushed by the end of book 3.

Spoiler

See Catching Fire, Golden Sun, and partially A Torch Against the Night

The rebellion regroups and wins the larger way by the end of book 4, exposing any unsavory truths along the way

Spoiler

See Mockingjay, Allegiance, Morning Star.

Subverted in The Death Cure

But...we all know these stories.

My personal two theories are:

1. They'll find a new society of humans who will actually be antagonists

2. Doomslug is actually a monitor that will prove that humanity is ready to join the ranks of higher species. 

So how do YOU think the future books will go?

On 11/7/2018 at 4:02 PM, BryanR said:

I think the sequels will focus on the ancient things that inhabit the cyto space. You know, the millions of eyes watching? 

I assumed that those "eyes" were meant to represent all of the other Cyto beings in the universe, not separate entities inhabiting a Cognitive Realm-like place.  

On 11/7/2018 at 11:01 AM, Mestiv said:

They'll need to flee Detritus, they'll find other humans, probably ones that gave up their ships to aliens. Somehow, they'll find some alien race to become allies with. By the end of the series, they'll negotiate peace with other races.

I somehow missed the short story Defending Elysium until yesterday, but read it immediately since they're in the same universe.

Substantial Defending Elysium spoilers:

We learn that the 'civilized' races are that way because they are suppressing the 'instigators' or 'discontent'--those who think differently from the whole.  ALL of the alien races do this.  The humans aren't going to find an entire species to ally with, but instead will do so with what is essentially the prisoner population that every single race has.

This will bring the themes of 'holy crap humans are really brutal and warlike and do we have to be?' that are present in DE and Skyward to the fore, along with the ideal that everyone should be free to make their own choices and not be punished by society for them which was lightly touched upon but not explored in depth. 

I also think that there is much more to the eyes in cyto-space than just the other cyto beings.  The description of the feelings that Spin has is very different than what we get in DE.

20 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I assumed that those "eyes" were meant to represent all of the other Cyto beings in the universe, not separate entities inhabiting a Cognitive Realm-like place.  

I felt like there was too much focused hatred of Spin in those moments she saw/felt the eyes to represent all other random Cyto beings in the galaxy/universe. 

I also don't feel like the snippets of conversation she listened into at the end evince "hatred" so much as worry/fear. There is something going on with the "eyes" that is... more than meets the eye so to speak IMO.

Whether it's some Cognitive/Cyto locale entities or some singular powerful Cyto being who is watching humans with a hated eye or something, but something is going on. 

@kaellok and @Green Hoodie MistbornAgreed the feeling of those eyes is very different from Jason's emptiness - but I'd chalk that up to be alien "watchers" keeping an eye out for Human cytos*. The hate may be a logical form of defense now - if humans re-learn Cyto, the aliens need to change their prison tactics.

*The aliens may also be watching for other races to pop up, a bit more warily than they had in the past, due to the human's example

Hi everyone, first time here! Definitely felt like there was something more ominous with the eyes, from the book:

I could hear them louder, the voices of the stars. Chatter that didn’t come through the radio, and didn’t form words. The call of the stars . . . it was . . . it was Krell communication. They used that place between heartbeats to talk to one another, to communicate instantly. And . . . and the minds of thinking machines somehow relied upon the same technology to process quickly. It all required access to that not-place, that nowhere. We drew closer to the station. “Don’t they know it’s dangerous?” I whispered. “That something lives in the nowhere? Don’t they know about the eyes?

Maybe that’s why we only use radio. I thought. Why our ancestors abandoned this advanced communications technology. Our ancestors were frightened of what lived in the nowhere. “I’m confused as to what you mean,” M-Bot said . “Though the Krell are using some normal sublight communications in addition to the superluminal ones. The ordinary ones, I can crack and listen in. Working to translate.”

Which suggests that the eyes are separate from the krell / alien civilizations and they don't know about them (m-bot seems unaware too).

19 hours ago, HughT said:

Maybe that’s why we only use radio. I thought. Why our ancestors abandoned this advanced communications technology. Our ancestors were frightened of what lived in the nowhere.

Which suggests that the eyes are separate from the krell / alien civilizations and they don't know about them (m-bot seems unaware too).

That's just Spensa trying to make sense of this completely new thing - she's far from an expert in cytonics.  It would be very strange for multiple alien races, who have been using cyto for centuries, to be unaware of something like that.  I think it's much more likely that the ancient humans stopped using the cyto communication because of the alien ability to intercept it.  

Edit - looks like I was wrong:

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

I wanted for years to do a "Monsters live in the Between" story, which is what this is going toward. Like, there's this one episode of Star Trek where someone sees monsters as they are being beamed. And it's one of my favorite Next Generation episodes, there are monsters when you are teleporting. That one stuck with me forever, so you can blame that as part of the inspiration.

source
Edited by Scion of the Mists

On 11/19/2018 at 4:25 PM, HughT said:

Hi everyone, first time here! Definitely felt like there was something more ominous with the eyes, from the book:

M-bot has a bit of a record fragment regarding them, so he/his pilot/the rest of the humans definitely knew about them

“I can only intercept what they’re actively broadcasting,” he said. “It seems that the DDF tries to minimize wireless communication, so as to not attract the attention of the eyes.”

“The what?” I asked.

“The eyes. I…I have no idea what that is. There’s a hole in my memory banks there. Huh.” The ship sounded genuinely confused. “I remember this quote: ‘Use physical cords for data transfer, avoid broadcasting, and put shielding around faster processors. To do otherwise risks the attention of the eyes.’ But that’s it. Curious…”

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that they "eyes" will be a main point ultimately. What if there are beings in the cyto/nothingness, and what if humans were using their space in a way that hurt them somehow - caused them pain or even death? - a different way from how the other species did? I'm thinking about other stories where magical abilities were harmful, but greedy people ignored the harm they were causing (e.g., "The Tangled Lands" by Buckell & Bacigalupi).

Another thing I'm noticing on my 2nd readthrough: The way FM describes the government sounds an awful lot like the Prime Intelligence that the aliens were directing Jason towards in "Defending Elysium" - that can't be an accident. Maybe the alien coalition's ultimate goal on Detritus is to create that kind of humanity.

One more thing: I'm really hoping that M-Bot will do a deep scan of the whole planet and find other stuff that will help the cause - other ships, improved technology, whatever.

I'm glad book 2 is alredy completed!:D