I think this confirms the theory

shadowwisp

10 minutes ago, gurbozo said:

But if it is named after him, how have they lost the understanding of what it does...

I think a lot of people didn't really understand what it does, and most of those that did understand died soon after landing, when Krell killed most of the command and science personel with a lifebuster.

Just like now, you may know the names of different parts of our brain, but can you describe what they do? Or, you can describe pieces of a computer, but can you tell how they work and what exactly they do? I guess they were left with knowledge about it existing and not much more.

Which I can see to some extent. Yes they have lost significant amounts of their history, and yes we also don't know how many years after DE this is, but you would have thought that given the ending of DE where it appeared everything was about to be released publicly that there would be some level of wider knowledge about cytonics, instead it seems that it was all just as secretive about how the process worked. Also given that the leaders still had some of the archives there should have been a better understanding of it.

This isn't to say I didn't love it (I did), was just musing as to how they ended up in their current ignorant scenario.

18 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Yes, I got so excited when I read that sentence and realized it referred to Jason Write. He's likely the best human cytonic who's ever lived, he more than deserves to have the part of his brain named after him. Good job picking up on it @shadowwisp

Half the praise goes to you as well, you picked it up as well, and before me I think too! 

I could also swear that M-bot mentions that his Cytonic Hyperdrive is offline in Chapter 17.  But then I was up most of the night reading in a blur, and may be crossing my wires.

That was my link.  It has been long enough since I've read defending elysium that I did not remember the defect/cytonic part of the brain.  I will be reading it again after finishing skyward, before I re-read skyward more slowly and carefully.

On 11/7/2018 at 0:30 PM, gurbozo said:

Which I can see to some extent. Yes they have lost significant amounts of their history, and yes we also don't know how many years after DE this is, but you would have thought that given the ending of DE where it appeared everything was about to be released publicly that there would be some level of wider knowledge about cytonics, instead it seems that it was all just as secretive about how the process worked. Also given that the leaders still had some of the archives there should have been a better understanding of it.

This isn't to say I didn't love it (I did), was just musing as to how they ended up in their current ignorant scenario.

It's been 3 generations since they crashed, and most of the officers and experts that had the knowledge were killed. Their databanks were all destroyed too. So the only things they would remember at this point would be whatever the original survivors remembered, and whatever they could salvage. I could name some of the parts of the brain and I remember bits and pieces of what the different regions do, but I certainly couldn't give you a dissertation about any of them.

Also, remember that the cytonics were among the ones that technically mutinied and crashed them on Detritus in the first place, and people wondered if they were in league with the Krell.

Over a couple generations, all of that could easily have gotten garbled and mixed up into what they have.

• 1 month later...

What I find odd is that, like for example, Gran-Gran, had no idea about the war in the galaxy vs the humans, (or if they did she never said anything...). It just seems odd to me. Yes they lost a lot of knowledge, but surely the fact that they were trapped on a planet in the middle of an intergalactic war against their kind can't be so easily forgotten. 

• 2 weeks later...

If one side sees it as “conquering”, and the other as “exploring” then the idea of being in the midst of an intergalactic war may have been lost on the members of that ship’s community. They may have seen themselves as outside of that conflict and thus it wasn’t salient to them and didn’t become part of their narrative. The confusion over who is doing what to whom and why is assuredly worse when communication techniques are mysterious and there are various alien peoples involved, possibly with varying motivations. At least that’s what I thought.