So I got to chapter 17, and now I want to present a theory.

Govir

I hate being spoiled so, I'm still going to put this in a spoiler tag to combat any type of preview feature.

Spoiler

Chapter 17 confirms that this is the same universe as Defending Elysium given that the hyperdrive is the cytonic hyperdrive. From my understanding of Defending Elysium, those who are able to use Cyto can teleport. So my thought is that Spensa's dad was able to use Cyto and somehow teleported out of his ship. The ship was shot down to hide the fact that he wasn't in it anymore. The sensors in Spensa's helmet are for either detecting or inhibiting Cyto usage.

Furthermore, I believe the Krell are humans who can use Cyto, and are either repressing the humans on the planet, or giving them hardships in order to foster Cyto users (i.e. determine who can use Cyto).

I'm only on chapter 17, but I was throwing around this theory in my head if the connection had been what it is. Mostly wanted to get this in writing to see how right or wrong I end up being.