The North Sea

Archer

Longer-ish post. Warning in advance especially as it doesn't actually directly effect anyone.

Somewhere remote that has no native inhabitants living there....

"And no one lives here?" Mejin asked Twig for the fortieth time. "We wouldn't be taking anyone's land?"

"Not a one," Twig said. "No one lives here - we've checker many times. No one will be around to care. It belongs to no one"

Mejin nodded. "Sounds good then." She pulled out a flag with a TUBA symbol on it and planted it in the ground. "Well now it's TUBA territory." She smiled slightly. "First colonists from Alleycity."

Pointing to a small cottage in the distance, Twig looked at Mejin. "That's where we were when we stayed here. It's got supplies, but the land around here is fertile enough that you likely won't need them."

She hugged Twig. "I'm going to miss you."

"Course you won't. You never seem to remember I exist till you see me," Twig said.

"Not true!" Mejin said. "I do! And I'm going to miss you very much."

"We'll see," Twig said, but he was chuckling. "All your people are on land?"

"Far as I know," she said, watching all the NPCs that had come with her and were unloading supplies. "Though a few may have chickened out and decided to return to the city."

"Too bad for them as that's not where we're headed. I was thinking somewhere cold," Twig said loudly. 

A few splashes could be heard coming from the direction of the ocean. 

"No more stowaways now," Twig commented. "Unless you were bringing some snow lovers along."

"I don't think I was. Are you actually going cold though?" Mejin looked at his bare arms.

"You kidding? We're going south after this. Need to warm up a bit," Twig said chuckling. "Cold just works great as a threat. Gets people to do what you want."

"I'll never get your Viking tactics," Mejin said.

"I don't expect you to, you land lover," he said.

"I don't love land, I just like it more than sea," she said.

"You don't love much anything," he said finally.

"That's not true," Mejin said, three people coming to mind.

"I'll believe it when I see it," Twig said.

"Yeah right," she said. "It's not like you've got much of a love life. Who are you to talk?"

"You got me there," he said. "Except I at least admit what I love. Unlike you."

"And what do you love?"

"The ocean. The sea. The sky. My ship."

"Oh."

Twig hugged her. "And you. You're the sister I never had."

She returned the embrace. "I've got three siblings. Tino, Pry, and you. Only one might be related to me by blood, but all matter the same."

"I'll be back in two weeks. You can survive that long, right?" Twig asked.

"You underestimate my abilities," Mejin said, burning bendalloy to quickly tap him on the nose.

"My little Twinborn Lightweaver. I forget," Twig said smiling. "You don't act it most days."

"Do I now? Maybe I should work on that..." she said.

"Don't. You don't act the part you won't be treated it. To be powerful is to be a threat. And you, Jin, are anything but a threat," he said.

"I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented by that."

"How about both."

With that they parted ways. Twig to his ship and Mejin farther inland.

The man continued running. These birds were persistent. No matter how many trees and bushes he dodged behind they just kept coming. Of course, thinning their numbers would probably help. Suddenly a man was running alongside him. Realizing that two swords were better than one, he had an idea.

"Hey, you any good with a sword? Don't know how you fancy running forever with these things behind us. I'd rather just kill 'em." Saying this, the man grabbed his sword, stopped, and held it firmly in both hands. He pulled his hands apart, keeping a firm grip, as the sword split into two duplicate swords. Hoping the other man had stopped, he tossed a sword towards him and shouted, "Back to back! Their advantage is being able to come at us from every angle. If we can cut that area in half, it should make it easier to cut them in half."

The man readied his sword, prepared to swing at the first bird to get close enough.

@Ookla the Paragon

Out of breath, Klo grabbed the sword that was thrown to him. He didn't no this man, but he trusted him. After all, he'd just given him a weapon and exposed his back. That wasn't the sort of thing enemies did. Klo gave the blade an experimental twirl with his shimmering hand, then moved to stand behind his new fighting companion. He then mimed a response to the man's question. No, I'm horrible with metal weapons that oh I see your back is turned so you don't know what I'm saying. Watermelon. We're all going to die. Look out! 

He slashed his sword at an oncoming bird, hitting its outstretched claws. He shuddered as the flock screeched ominously. As he stabbed at any birds that came close enough, he tugged on the back of the other man's shirt. The birds were in their element in the open air, they needed to seek cover. Or use a flammable lighter than air gas to burn them all while they laid safely on the ground, but that was hard to communicate in sign language. 

Feeling a tug on his clothing, the man looked at the man behind him when there wasn't a bird in his immediate area. The man seemed to be trying to tell him to get to cover. Probably a wise choice honestly. The man looked around, trying to see if there were any such spot nearby. Paying too much attention to the terrain and not enough to the birds turned out to be a bad idea, evidenced by the talon slashing his face. Yelling out in pain the man swung and managed to take out the bird that had gashed him. As the blood began to pour out of his forehead and down his face, he tried to wipe it away to keep it out of his eyes.

Feeling a more urgent need for cover now, the man turned and noticed a small rock outcropping they could crouch under, which should give them adequate cover from the birds. It might be a tight fit however. Swinging his sword one last time, the man shouted at his companion. "Come on! There's some rocks over there we can hide under." He then began running toward it, dodging birds left and right, swinging when he wasn't able to get around one quickly enough. He slid under the outcropping, and barely managed to avoid hitting his head on the stone. He knelt on the ground, looking outward as his vision continued to be obscured by the blood running from his wound. He hoped the man had been able to follow him to safety.

Alright, so I've read through the thread again and honestly I have no idea how to really get Damaya into the whole thing again, so this simply focusses on her. Sorry, utterly my mistake for missing the notification and then I was unsure what to do next and that didn't make it better :rolleyes: don't feel bad or something like this, please.

Damaya saw the birds attacking and called out to Mari in surpise. Away. Away from here. The Winged hurled her around and away they flew. With a screech at least one of them dove after them and Damaya clutched tighter to Maris talons and prayed everything would go well. In that moment she decided, that flying wasn't her prefered method to get from one place to another.
It didn't go well. After a short while, she heard Mari exclaim in pain and looked up, only to have blood drip into her eyes. Instinktively she shut them, hesitated, debated whether to loose a grip on a talon and try to get the burning and stinging stuff out of her eye, or to leave it there, but in the end cursed and tried to wipe her eyes clean, only making it worse. Above her Mari screamed again, and then they were plummeting downwards, and Damaya screamed, too, fearful clinging to Mari, but the Winged opened her talons and let go, and a moment later she was falling, falling downwards, wind ripping at her cloths, at her skin and then she hit something hard, something unrelenting. The air was pressed out of her body in the blink of an eye and suddenly it was cool around her. It took her a moment to understand what had happened, the she was swimming, or more likely drowning, since she had no idea how to swim. Somehow her head broke through the surface again and she managed to breathe in some air, then she sank down again, her arms and legs flailing uselessly around her. Panicked she inhaled again, water this time, and immediatly had to cough. Water, cool water pressed in on her and black stars started dancing in front of her eyes. Hastly she tried to move up again, but where was up? Her arm hit something hard and she flinched back, or would have done this, had she been able to really move. Her body hit whatever it was and now she clutched at it instinktively, pulled and suddenly her head was out of the water again. Gasping for air, she continued to hold on to whatever it was and tried to get as much air into her lungs as possible. It took her a while, until she was able to think clearly and then she used the branch to slowly pull herself to the shore of the lake and out of the water. Panting she lay down, only now realizing how much she hurt. She needed to calm down, and then assess the damage. And then try to find a way out.
"Coru?"
she whispered and felt him buzzing slightly on her arm.
"I think we may have a problem."
He was silent for a moment.
"You mean, like being on an island, without a map, without food or water?"
he answered and Damaya coughed again, spitting out some more water. It hurt, moving hurt.
"More or less."
her voice sounded strange and she lay back down, concentrated on breathing. In and out, in and out.

Edited by Ookla the Clueless

Nogard slashed through the birds, but he could barely make a dent in their numbers. He fell back, and noticed that more of the lions had joined the fight. The birds seemed to be turning to meet this new threat. He ran towards the people hidden under the rock. If they could get to safety now...

@Ookla the Ring

@Ookla the Clueless

@Ookla the [your choice]

@Ookla the Paragon

Klo cowered under the overhang of a half-buried boulder. There were other people around him now, bleeding, shouting, fighting. He wanted to help them, but it seemed hitting at the birds with swords was just slowing them down. They needed a better tactic.

I know squat about these things, he thought. It’s time I did some research.

Klo took a piece of chalk from his pocket and proceeded to write a list on the side of the rock he was behind. At times the chalk seemed to be floating in the air, but Klo ignored it.

Noise

Smell

Sight: Shape, movement, colour

Ecolocation

Magic

He crossed the first one out. He’d been quiet and they’d still homed in on him. So the sense they most relied on to hunt with probably wasn’t that. Time to do some experimentation. But I need help.

He tapped on the list, trying to draw his companion’s attention to it. Then he reached behind him to grab some branches off a low-lying bush. He poked them into his clothes, making a mediocre makeshift camouflage suit. Please don’t kill me please don’t kill me please don’t kill me, he projected as he moved to the edge of their DIY bunker to see if any birds would attack him.

George ran around the island, yapping at all the birds. He was a beaver, so it was a little strange, but hey. When you're a beaver who can bark, you gotta bark.

"BARK BARK BARK!!!" George yelled. In beaver language, this was the equivalent of asking the birds if they knew of any beavers around here he could eat.

He hadn't seen a beaver in a while though...

He couldn't really remember how he got to that island in particular...

Oh, well. Beaver memories were pretty short, kinda like a dog's. He assumed. George didn't recall looking that fact up on the web.

But, well, shouldn't he know? He was a beaver after all.

One of the birds nipped at his back, and George spun around and ate the bird in one bite.

Didn't quite taste like a beaver, though.

Slowly Damaya pushed herself to her feet and took a look around. She was in a wood, or a jungle? Whatever, it had trees. Carefully checking herself for any damage she found some blood on her temple, her left arm hurt while moving, but apart from that, although almost everything hurt, she had been lucky.
"Where do you want to go?"
Coru asked and she shrugged.
"I have no coin with me, so..."
turning around she took a good look at her surroundings. A tree, a lake, another tree, and another tree. And then, fighting.
"Do you hear that?"
she asked him and her Spren only spread himself on her arm.
"I do. sounds like a fight."
Hesitating, Damaya took a step in the direction and then stopped again.
"It's dangerous, if they fight."
she observed and Coru only laughed.
"Genius. Of course it's dangerous, but they could know a way out of here."
Grimacing she started to walk, her body protesting the movement, but in the end she had no other choice. Stay here and die or go there and maybe die. Maybe die somehow sounded better. She neared the noise and then stopped. Lions fighting birds, a man running towards a rock, that was blocking most of her view.
"We found them."
she whispered to Coru and he only buzzed in response. When she didn't move he buzzed again, stronger and she cursed under her breath, grabed her skirts and edged closer. The man was running, so running was save?
"This is stupid."
Lifting her skirts higher she sneaked closer and closer and rounded the corner and only then realized, that her stone was maybe a cave. Scrambling over she got in there, almost knockig over someone holding up some branches.
"Ummm.... hi."
she greeting unintelligently.
@Ookla the Paragon

@Ookla the Phoenix

A boat appeard in the horizon. Warwick sat inside a small cramped room. He heard the sound of footsteps approching his room. The captian appeared in the doorway. "We're here." the captian said. 

~~~

Warwick stepped out onto the shore. "Shattering Glass! What is this place?" he yelled as he glanced around in awe.

Edited by GodofAnime

Welcome to the RP, Goa! 

Klo waved to Damaya in greeting. His arm briefly disappeared when he did so, but he poked it and it became visible again. He raised his eyebrow and pointed a branch in the direction of the flock of monsters circling above them. As if to prove his point, a small shadowbird descended from the heavens and stole his pointing stick. 

Klo dove to the ground. He quickly jotted some notes next to his research list. As he did so, he motioned to the rocks around them, indicating Damaya was welcome to join them. But, as he expressively mimed, she should keep her head down, or an angry bird would scratch her eye holes and she'd die a slow and painful death while the assembled adventurers mourned her passing. 

Edited by Ookla the Paragon

Nogard slowed, approaching the strangers.

Suddenly, he felt something on his mental link with Kodeka. He turned sharply, looking out towards sea.

Coming, said the island in a strained voice. Birds are still on my tail, but, he paused with a sense of grim satisfaction, the alleycanes are too.

Nogard exhaled in a long, steady stream. He turned around, walking back towards the group gathered under the rock. "Hey," he called out, "that might not be the best place to hang out right now."

@Ookla the Ring

@Ookla the Clueless

@Ookla the Paragon

@Ookla the Libre

@GodofAnime

Edited by Ookla the Phoenix

11 hours ago, Ookla the Phoenix said:

Nogard slashed through the birds, but he could barely make a dent in their numbers. He fell back, and noticed that more of the lions had joined the fight. The birds seemed to be turning to meet this new threat. He ran towards the people hidden under the rock. If they could get to safety now...

@Ookla the Ring

@Ookla the Clueless

@Ookla the [your choice]

@Ookla the Paragon

I'm assuming I was summoned accidentally?

Damaya nodded thankfully and kept her head down while pressing against a rock, to stay out of the way. Whoever they were, they seemed to know what they did. Which was more than she did.

"Hey," the guy who had run towards the cave called out, "that might not be the best place to hang out right now."

Damaya looked at him and made a questioning gesture with her hands.

"Where do you propose to go?"

Nogard slowed down as much as he could. "There's an alleycane coming. We should probably get farther inland."

Suddenly, he felt a slight pop. His eyes widened as clouds rolled in at immense speed.

"Come on!" He waved towards the people hiding under the rock and took off towards the jungle just as the first rain began to fall.

A figure ran up to their hiding place, and informed them of the approaching danger. Not sure if the birds or the Alleycane was worse, the man decided that the birds were at least dodgeable, so he might as well listen to the stranger's advice. He ran out from under the rock, ducking under the violent Shadowbirds, and began running after the stranger, toward the center of the island.

Lions?

George kept barking at the birds. Silly birds, all flappy, all flying. George didn't fly. 

Goerge ignored the storm. George had seen a lot of these, right?

Yes, he had. What did he do when they came?

He... didn't know. He was sure he had survived them before...

Well, George didn't make dams. So maybe the storm wouldn't be too dangerous.

He saw the humans running around, running like the birds. Only... the birds flew.

Butterflies flew. George knew that butterflies flew. George liked butterflies.

George did not like humans. They cut down trees.

George loved trees. George did not like beavers.

What... had he been thinking about again?

Oh, well. There were too many birds to care. 

"BARK!! BARK BARK BA-"

George cut off as one of the birds stabbed into his side, opening a gash and throwing him to the left.

Ow... oww oww ow...

Goerge struggled to stand, but fell back, the bloody wound facing the sky. Luckily, there didn't seem to be that many birds around...

What was that roaring, that cawing...

What was that throbbing...

Damaya looked from the guy with the branches to the other two running away and then decided to follow them. Suppressing a groan she gathered her skirts and started to run. Why did she had to pack dresses when going to explore an unknown place? Why not wear pants like any sensible person would? Stumbling over a rock she fell down, barely catching herself with her hands to stop her head from hitting the ground. Pain shot through her arms and she cursed, got back to her feet. The first few steps she walked, then she started to run again, her breath becoming more and more ragged with every passing minute. Staring at the two men she continued to move her legs, the distance between getting bigger and bigger. She wasn't made for running over uneven ground, never ran over uneven ground before. Her foot caught itself on a vine, but this time she managed to keep upright. You can do this, she told herself and forced her legs to move.

Edited by Ookla the Clueless

White-tinged raindrops rolled down the face of the rock Klo had been seated beside. He watched them for a moment, then stood and followed the others. As he scrambled across the mud, he was startled by a the distant roar of an animal. It made the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. 

As he shuffled, head down and frantic, he smacked his arm against a low lying branch. When he looked at it to check the damage, he was disturbed to find that it he could see right through it. Not because of a hole, no, it was as if the arm wasn't even there. It had turned completely invisible. 

Thankfully everyone's gotten the one-armed jokes out of their system already, Klo thought as he pressed onward. He would need to figure out what was going on, but first he needed somewhere dry to hide in. 

Edited by Ookla the Paragon
Changed the noise Klo heard to be a roar instead of a thunderclap