Oh god, no! D:

Eerongal

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the ribbon UI being added to windows explorer?

• Love it. Best idea ever.
    • Leaning towards liking it
    • Middle of the road.
    • Leaning towards hating it.
    • Hate it. Give me my menu options!
    • Potato. (I have no opinion on the subject)

Windows 8 will incorporate the Ribbon UI from office into the explorer window

I don't know about you guys, but I can stand the ribbon UI. It's needlessly complicated when through a combination of menu options and context menus you can, i feel, rather intuitively, and more importantly more compactly, achieve the same result.

What does everyone else think? hate it? love it? Indifferent?

I read the blog. I don't care for the ribbon, but you don't have to use the ribbon if you don't want to, it seems. I know I probably won't.

But let's look at some of the non-ribbon things they are doing: more customization, and being able to see more files (even with the ribbon, so imagine if it was off!). Not the end of the world, especially if they give you options to remove or collapse the ribbon. This isn't a big deal.

I read the blog. I don't care for the ribbon, but you don't have to use the ribbon if you don't want to, it seems. I know I probably won't.

But let's look at some of the non-ribbon things they are doing: more customization, and being able to see more files (even with the ribbon, so imagine if it was off!). Not the end of the world, especially if they give you options to remove or collapse the ribbon. This isn't a big deal.

Yeah, i saw it had the ability to be turned off, however, this just reeks of the usual microsoft attempt to push people towards it as a standard. It wouldn't surprise me if it starts becoming mandatory in a future release. Especially with all the figures and seemingly proud air the article had.

Honestly, i don't know anyone who likes the ribbon, but I could be a minority for all i know.

I'm not a huge fan of it, myself. It's kinda handy having some options right there, but at the same time, they end up moving things around so I can't find the other options I use.

Gotta say, though, I am liking how Windows 8 will natively support ISOs.

I'm not a huge fan of it, myself. It's kinda handy having some options right there, but at the same time, they end up moving things around so I can't find the other options I use.

Gotta say, though, I am liking how Windows 8 will natively support ISOs.

ISOs and VHDs! Yeah, i'm stoked about that particular feature(s), because i say its about time.

I've always found the ribbon layout confusing, took me forever to get used to it when it was incorporated into Word...

Still, I don't think it will bother me that much with it in explorer. I use hotkeys and right-clicks for everything I do so it shouldn't affect me in the usability department.

I've always found the ribbon layout confusing, took me forever to get used to it when it was incorporated into Word...

Still, I don't think it will bother me that much with it in explorer. I use hotkeys and right-clicks for everything I do so it shouldn't affect me in the usability department.

well, personally for me, one of the biggest issues with a lot of things is the clutter forced upon us by "user friendly" UI things i dont use. That's actually what got me to swap from firefox to google chrome, the extremely simplified and slimmed down top bar. (and also why i dont like those toolbars you can install in IE, not considering the fact that many of them are ripe with spyware. Though those aren't as bad since they're optional on the user's part)

does anyone actually hit edit/ copy, or edit/paste? Up until I looked right now, i didnt even know that there was a delete button under file...

I dont know, I liked it on word, but it seems...relevant on word where there are so many more things that you can do, and its hard to remember crtl + ______ keys for everything.

I think this is the most annoying thing about Windows dev teams. Older people (coughmyparentscough) can't seem to find their normal options if they are moved even slightly. The new OS becomes something that is a pain for them to use and I end up getting phone calls from extremely frustrated people.

It's pointless for them to completely learn new ways when they could learn a new OS. I would rather put Linux on their machines. Most people tend to only use it their machines for a browser and office software which open office can cover. Another plus - no virus issues.

I think this is the most annoying thing about Windows dev teams. Older people (coughmyparentscough) can't seem to find their normal options if they are moved even slightly. The new OS becomes something that is a pain for them to use and I end up getting phone calls from extremely frustrated people.

It's pointless for them to completely learn new ways when they could learn a new OS. I would rather put Linux on their machines. Most people tend to only use it their machines for a browser and office software which open office can cover. Another plus - no virus issues.

well, that last point is a misnomer, there's malware, it's just much rarer.. ChromeOS (or ChromiumOS) might be an alternative for the web-only things. But I agree, linux is far better XD (yeah I'm a fanboy)

The second I saw the ribbon in Word, I was glad I had already switched to Open Office. It's cumbersome, difficult to navigate, and takes up way too much screen space. I guess it's good to have as an option for people who do like it - though I've never met anyone who does - but I can't stand it.

The second I saw the ribbon in Word, I was glad I had already switched to Open Office. It's cumbersome, difficult to navigate, and takes up way too much screen space. I guess it's good to have as an option for people who do like it - though I've never met anyone who does - but I can't stand it.

I like the ribbon :P and I guess you'll be hating the idea they had for Windows 8: using the WP7 idea of sidebars much more extensively since most people have widescreens.

Correction, then: I've met one person who does. :P As for the sidebars, if I had Windows 8, those would be the second thing to get Avada Kedavra'd - after the Ribbon, of course. I like my widescreen because it gives me more room to actually do things. Filling that space up with sidebars is kind of counterproductive, at least for me. ^^;

Yes, there is some malware but nothing compared to the Windows OS. I should have put the word "virtually" in that sentence.

yeah its not like I've ever caught one, or heard of anyone catching one.

Correction, then: I've met one person who does. :P As for the sidebars, if I had Windows 8, those would be the second thing to get Avada Kedavra'd - after the Ribbon, of course. I like my widescreen because it gives me more room to actually do things. Filling that space up with sidebars is kind of counterproductive, at least for me. ^^;

dont worry, its not like I like the suite itsself, or even the operating system it all runs on lol

• 1 month later...