The Origin of Shardplate (Theory)

Mr_Doe

So there have been some interesting theories on how shardplate might be made by radiants, and sorry if someone already said this but what if forging shardplate is one of the bondmith's things?  At first I assumed bondsmiths helped others form bonds with the spren, but based on how many people seem to be attracting spren, there seems to be no need.  Thus the order named "bondsmiths".

The mechanic as to how they do this I have no idea on, but their order's name has me thinking...  Thoughts?  Possible Debunk?  WoB?  Let me know!

Edited by Mr_Doe

There is a topic on Bondsmiths forging Plate. I don't think anyone has brought up more than the name as evidence.

edit: I like BreathTaker's suggestion. We know there were many shcolars among the Radiants and Progression might be able to do it though I lean towards Truthwatchers more than Edgedancers. All Plates are similarly looking without paint unlike Blades, which are visibly different from each other.

Edited by Aleksiel

That makes more sense, Edgedancers seem more combat focused and Truthwatchers are looking like one of the Orders that just kinda hang around Urithiru. The Truthwatchers have the Regrowth ability and we don't actually know what Glys looks like (do we?) (S)he might also have crystalline growths.  

Just putting in my 2 cents, but I think it might be either the Stonewards or Bondsmiths, with the surge of Tension. Sanderson has already said that Tension is used to make something soft hard, so could Shardplate just be normal armour influenced by Tension and possibly another surge or two? We don't know a lot about some of the surges, so maybe one of them? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm thinking that it uses Soulcasting for the material that makes it ( my bet Aluminum ), Progression for healing, Division for bringing it back together, Transportation for long distance healing as in when they leave the gauntlet behind, Tension for the strength, Lightweaving for the helm translucency, Abrasion for the extra grip the boots/gauntlets get and Cohesion so that it can change size/shape.

I think Shardplate must have some kind of connection to the person's spren though. Note how in Dalinar's flashbacks, the shardplate has glyphs on plus one of the people he meets is able to make his helm disappear and re-appear at will. Whereas currently shardplate is grey unless painted and, while it can seem to adjust to its wearer's size I presume, it can't be consciously controlled.

Obviously shardplate can't just be 'It's really the spren' like shardblades are but I think there has to be something spren-related in there.

I think that the Shardplate is made by the stonewards the soft and strong axial interconnections might be what makes the plate. Taln
 is the herald of war and the stonwards are supposed to be the closest to their heralds in temperate so the stonewards would be in depth in the path of war, he is supposed to train soldiers. It would make sense that those responsible to be soldiers would be able to forge armor to protect the soldiers and increase all their natural abilities 

I'm thinking that it uses Soulcasting for the material that makes it ( my bet Aluminum ), Progression for healing, Division for bringing it back together, Transportation for long distance healing as in when they leave the gauntlet behind, Tension for the strength, Lightweaving for the helm translucency, Abrasion for the extra grip the boots/gauntlets get and Cohesion so that it can change size/shape.

Shardplate basically just works the same way as simple Stormlight does. It provides speed, it enhances strength, it heals, etc. My personal theory on it is that it's a suit of armor with a lesser spren attached to it (similar to a fabrial, but with the consent of the spren and therefore more varied powers). The gemstones allow it to bond with the wearer, so it can change size/shape.

• Chaos locked this topic