Insights on a metaphor

Silva

"The comment quieted the room, like a sudden shout of "Who wants extra bacon?" at a bar mitzvah." (Calamity, page 299)

I don't know who else has been to bar mitzvahs, but in my experience, I think Sanderson over-exaggerated this simile if he was referring to the part I think he was. Not the leyning since everyone ought to be quiet anyways, rather the party part with just friends and family that actually isn't a commandment or requirement, just something people have taken on over the ages. Depending on the person, that part could either be kind of wild and loud, loud enough that a shout wouldn't even be heard, or so formal that there wouldn't be a room to quiet and only people looking horrified and thinking what kind of chutzpah is this. Either way, a shout of "who wants extra bacon" never would quiet a room - it would be drowned out or actually cause more noise ^_^. Unless you're that one boy (or girl in some cases) who manages to balance an in between which is almost impossible. And even then everyone might ignore it, thinking they misheard.

Just thought I'd share that little bit with you all. Since being only critical is a little harsh, I do admit that maybe there is another layer to it that I'm completely missing, but far as I can tell this metaphor just didn't live up to the standards of some of its predecessors. Though while this one might've missed its mark, we can never forget the true great ones.

"You're like a potato in a minefield." (Firefight, page 174)

21 minutes ago, Silva said:

True. How many bar mitzvahs would there be to attend in Newcago? That's the real question.

Probably not many. I think most of the more devout people would have fled Newcago to a less dominated area, for fear of standing out to an Epic that doesn't take kindly to that kind of thing.