The Last Post Wins!!!!!

Small medium long excessive rant:

So, I lend my books to my brother, who takes them to school and other places and reads them. Before he borrows them, I make him agree that if he damages it he has to pay for it in full. So, of course, he comes home one day with WoR, and the entire cover is torn off (Its a hardcover). So, I say he has to pay for it. Nope! He decides he's gonna glue the cover back on, which makes sense, but there are also big tears down the corners that he really can't glue back together and chances are the glue won't work nearly as well as the original. So I say no, but then my parents get all into the business and say that he will fix it and not have to pay. So now my WoR is missing a cover (He probably will never get around to fixing it) and the cover has some big tears. Even if by some miracle he attempts to fix it, it will still be in significantly worse condition than when I lended it to him.

Pictures, spoilered for size

Spoiler

5e5965d69aba9_IMG_20200228_064605(1).thumb.jpg.a0f3b6ebaa601c4c56c264d73039ecf6.jpgIMG_20200228_064540.thumb.jpg.a017b0ca7f271d442249fa24715548d1.jpg

The reasoning behind having him not pay for it is because I read it first so I put part of the wear onto it. He just got unlucky - it would have happened to me if I had read it. For example, he pointed out a tiny rip in the top of the binding that I put there. The tiny rip that is unconnected to the damaged parts. The tiny rip that literally didn't affect anything. He tore the entire cover off! How is that my fault? I actually took care of it, instead of just throwing it in my backpack! He just tosses it in there, then pulls it out without care. My guess is that he pulled it out by the pages and the cover got stuck behind in his backpack.

He should at least have to pay for part of it, but no, if I want a book that is in the condition it was before, I need to buy another one and put a tiny rip on the corner. I have yet to approach my parents again (They are doing the arguing negotiating for him) to see if at least he will pay for part of a new copy and he can keep the book. It honestly wouldn't be that big of a deal for me to pay in full (I still have money from painting a neighbors house) but now I'm just mad at the stupidity of the argument and the fact that he is getting off easy. I can guarantee that if I ruined one of his books, then said I would just fix it, he would pitch a fit and I would have to pay for it. He agreed before he borrowed it to pay for it if it got ruined. Now he's not. I'm so mad. 

Also, *wins with cathartic-ness*

Yeah, that’s...not okay. Accidents happen, but if you promise to pay for something and then just break your word...I’d be mad too. I’m sorry that’s happening, @Mushroom Catalog :( Good luck, I hope things turn out better than they look now and that your parents agree. 

If you decide to spam angry emojis I am in full support of you :angry:;) 

On 29/02/2020 at 5:44 AM, Mushroom Catalog said:

He should at least have to pay for part of it, but no, if I want a book that is in the condition it was before, I need to buy another one and put a tiny rip on the corner. I have yet to approach my parents again (They are doing the arguing negotiating for him) to see if at least he will pay for part of a new copy and he can keep the book. It honestly wouldn't be that big of a deal for me to pay in full (I still have money from painting a neighbors house) but now I'm just mad at the stupidity of the argument and the fact that he is getting off easy. I can guarantee that if I ruined one of his books, then said I would just fix it, he would pitch a fit and I would have to pay for it. He agreed before he borrowed it to pay for it if it got ruined. Now he's not. I'm so mad. 

I understand — if that happened to me I’d be furious too. 

The only advice I can give you is to remain civil and calm if you’re still negotiating with your parents, even if it’s hard. They’ll be more likely to listen to you that way. 

This situation sucks right now, but I hope it gets better for you. *sends hugs* :(

Edited by The Awakened Salad

@Mushroom Catalog *Hugs.* The whole thing sucks. I understand your anger. As @The Awakened Salad said civility is your best bet here. Hang in there. Eventually your brother will learn that life is less forgiving than you in situations of broken agreements. As for you though I wish you much luck!!