The Last Post Wins!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

...it’s not like they can just ignore you... 

Also I rp a dude so it’s pretty different from my own life :P

OH HECK NO THE CREEP SMILE FACES ARE BACK

You’d be surprised :P but it doesn’t happen often. 

That’s another thing I love about RP, you can always be someone who’s not you! 

:) 

Just now, AonEne said:

You could always have asked us. Though I should note that the plot is relatively minor in there, it’s mostly character interaction, yum. 

Whenever I read realistic fiction, it’s something that I can’t experience myself, like someone who tried to commit suicide or a transgender person or something. And something like this I don’t consider reality much at all, since there’s magic and stuff. 

But of course it’s fine if you just didn’t like the setting, happens to everyone sometimes! At least now you don’t have to go through the OOC debacle... 

Oh, I'm all for character development. When a story is more about the concept than the people, I tend to get really bored, really fast. However, if nothing really happens to push the characters to their limits (see Sophie on the most recent post of TLT for an example of that) then it's just... empty. Sure, there can be tiny conflicts, but there's nothing fantastical, no real stakes, no greater good. And that is what I long for. 

For those reasons, I despise realistic fiction. It's sappy. Boring. And because I feel that way, I also feel like a jerk because I know that other people really enjoy it. :(

3 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Hm, interesting. The trick with the plot thing for me is to try and coordinate with others outside of the rp or just have my character walk up to another character not doing anything in particular and start a conversation with them (it’s not like they can just ignore you :P). Once you interact with people enough the characters will in turn start initiating interactions with you. With enough interactions you just kinda end up in the middle of the plot. Of course I have no idea if this consistently works cause I’ve only ever been in two rps. Hopefully it helps at least somewhat for future rps though!

And on the reality thing, I get that. Sometimes you just need a completely different world cause the one we’re in often just stinks. I like the real world concept though because of how messy it is. Also I rp a dude so it’s pretty different from my own life :P

If you coordinate, there are no surprises. ;) Plus I really like being the one in control. (except for in Fallen - that's the best) Not really of the plot, (like I said, surprises) but of the situation. I like being able to do what I want. It's why most of my characters are so over the top. Astral is The Queen of Shadows, Star is a beloved hero, Thought is a Shard. Ember's super OP, but she's really submissive. Zeoy and Sophie don't really fit the mold, but they're also kind of the same person so.... And additionally, I have my own built in deus ex machina - Me. 

I feel really bad for not having any male characters besides AJ and Trewee. But, I mean, Star was married and had kids and also experienced my worst fear. Ember is literally made of rock and metal. Thought has lived for over 3,000 years. So... I think I'm doin' okay. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Oh, I'm all for character development. When a story is more about the concept than the people, I tend to get really bored, really fast. However, if nothing really happens to push the characters to their limits (see Sophie on the most recent post of TLT for an example of that) then it's just... empty. Sure, there can be tiny conflicts, but there's nothing fantastical, no real stakes, no greater good. And that is what I long for. 

For those reasons, I despise realistic fiction. It's sappy. Boring. And because I feel that way, I also feel like a jerk because I know that other people really enjoy it. :(

If you coordinate, there are no surprises. ;) Plus I really like being the one in control. (except for in Fallen - that's the best) Not really of the plot, (like I said, surprises) but of the situation. I like being able to do what I want. It's why most of my characters are so over the top. Astral is The Queen of Shadows, Star is a beloved hero, Thought is a Shard. Ember's super OP, but she's really submissive. Zeoy and Sophie don't really fit the mold, but they're also kind of the same person so.... And additionally, I have my own built in deus ex machina - Me. 

I feel really bad for not having any male characters besides AJ and Trewee. But, I mean, Star was married and had kids and also experienced my worst fear. Ember is literally made of rock and metal. Thought has lived for over 3,000 years. So... I think I'm doin' okay. :lol:

On TKND we try to avoid that by having people struggle with things like dealing with basically killing tens of people and hurting themselves by using magical healing powers too much but refusing to admit it.

I personally think that surprises are great- I’d be like a book with zero plot twists without them! 

16 minutes ago, AonEne said:

You’d be surprised :P but it doesn’t happen often. 

That’s another thing I love about RP, you can always be someone who’s not you! 

:) 

*much sadness*

Yayyy!!!

AHHHHH

*runs*

Edited by Lunamor
Welp that was a lot of emotions

1 minute ago, Lunamor said:

On TKND we try to avoid that by having people struggle with things like dealing with basically killing tens of people and hurting themselves by using magical healing powers too much but refusing to admit it.

My honest and unfiltered reaction: Wow. So original. 

My reaction at that reaction: *slaps self* That was mean. 

And thus we see how I struggle to deal with my bluntness.

*sobs*

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

My reaction at that reaction: *slaps self* That was mean. 

And thus we see how I struggle to deal with my bluntness.

*sobs*

Eh, bluntness is fine. And I happen to like our clichedness :P Aaaand I need to stop my talking before I start a flame war.

16 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

However, if nothing really happens to push the characters to their limits (see Sophie on the most recent post of TLT for an example of that) then it's just... empty. Sure, there can be tiny conflicts, but there's nothing fantastical, no real stakes, no greater good. And that is what I long for. 

Plus I really like being the one in control. I like being able to do what I want. It's why most of my characters are so over the top. 

Trust me, tons of people are getting pushed to their limits in TKND :P 

While I respect your opinion - realistic fiction isn’t my favorite genre either (and I hate historical fiction, usually) I don’t understand why you say it’s boring. People get pushed to their limits all the time; fantasy doesn’t hold a monopoly over that. 

Honestly, I find it harder to RP when my character is in a position of power :P that’s when it skews more toward boring for me, because if they’re powerful, what do you do next? But it can definitely still be fun - it’s hard to write Gati and Conquest, but less so for Deteca, and way less so for Aurum. 

5 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

*runs*

You cannot escape us :) 

2 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Well, if we’re going to get technical, nothing is ever original, there are only original takes on things. And I think most of the characters in TKND are uniquely written, because everyone writing them is different :D for example, in the canon we have seen a character kill their spren - Kaladin and Syl. But he sure never killed her by breaking the first oath, and by going to the Nightwatcher, and he didn’t do it for the reasons my character Cassie did. Originality! 

Just now, AonEne said:

While I respect your opinion - realistic fiction isn’t my favorite genre either (and I hate historical fiction, usually) I don’t understand why you say it’s boring. People get pushed to their limits all the time; fantasy doesn’t hold a monopoly over that. 

But with realistic fiction, there have to be "realistic" limits. Fantasy makes things more unique, more interesting. At the end of the day, every character is a person. What's interesting to me is watching what people do when they're not in a predictable world, like the one we live in. With fantasy anything can happen. The character isn't the only one who the rug is being pulled out from under. And I love that feeling. 

4 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Honestly, I find it harder to RP when my character is in a position of power :P that’s when it skews more toward boring for me, because if they’re powerful, what do you do next? But it can definitely still be fun - it’s hard to write Gati and Conquest, but less so for Deteca, and way less so for Aurum. 

The more powerful they are, the harder they fall. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

And I think most of the characters in TKND are uniquely written, because everyone writing them is different 

Well, yeah, that's going to be true for any text based RP.

But with realistic fiction, there have to be "realistic" limits. Fantasy makes things more unique, more interesting. At the end of the day, every character is a person. What's interesting to me is watching what people do when they're not in a predictable world, like the one we live in. With fantasy anything can happen. The character isn't the only one who the rug is being pulled out from under. And I love that feeling. 

This world isn’t the slightest bit predictable, not any more than most fantasy ones, anyway. Just about anything can happen here, too, whether it’s in realistic fiction or nonfiction or fiction on Earth. A character’s personality isn’t taken away from them because they’re living on Earth - I mean, we live on Earth. 

The more powerful they are, the harder they fall. :ph34r: 

Most of the time, yeah, which is why I haven’t quit writing Negation :D 

I’ll probably read you tomorrow, gotta go now. Good night, Star! 

14 hours ago, AonEne said:

This world isn’t the slightest bit predictable, not any more than most fantasy ones, anyway. Just about anything can happen here, too, whether it’s in realistic fiction or nonfiction or fiction on Earth. A character’s personality isn’t taken away from them because they’re living on Earth - I mean, we live on Earth. 

In fantasy, you have more room for creativity. That's all. 

3 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

In fantasy, you have more room for creativity. That's all. 

I would disagree, but if you want to stop talking about it that’s cool too :lol: 

31 minutes ago, FictionSpren said:

...It just keeps going...

What does?