The Last Post Wins!!!!!

On 8/23/2019 at 8:09 PM, xinoehp512 said:

No- action has to be emphasized somehow.

23 hours ago, AonEne said:

No, of course you need to use the asterisks, but they aren't the same thing as emphasis.

22 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

*confusion* Using asterisks is emphasis.

37 minutes ago, AonEne said:

They're separate things - yes, if you use asterisks, that is one way to show emphasis, but creating an action through words is entirely different.

I'm confused as to what we're arguing over- I think we misunderstand each other. :P I'm trying to say that (1) you need to emphasize action in some way and (2) asterisks are a way to emphasize text. Do you disagree with either of those statements?

2 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I'm confused as to what we're arguing over- I think we misunderstand each other. :P I'm trying to say that (1) you need to emphasize action in some way and (2) asterisks are a way to emphasize text. Do you disagree with either of those statements?

From an outsider’s perspective, it does seem like you guys are arguing two different topics- Xino that asterisks can replace the italics (or bold or whatever) in this sentence- That was epic! And Ene is saying that italics (or bold or whatever) can not replace the asterisks in this- *jumps around excitedly*. Am I correct?

Edited by Lunamor

23 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I agree with both of those, but would also add that action is most easily emphasized by asterisks as opposed to italics or bolding. While the latter two can technically work, it's very tenuous imo.

Besides that, the concepts of emphasis and saying an action (an example being *wins*) are very different, and that's what I was debating. Yeah, I think we were misunderstanding each other :P

Just now, Rosharan A.C. said:

Woah woah woah woah. Woah. Let me get this straight. Xkcd is a type of comic correct? (please correct me if I'm wrong).

A webcomic, yeah. Very STEM, math, programming-oriented. And for some reason there are a lot of dirty jokes.

1 minute ago, AonEne said:

I agree with both of those, but would also add that action is most easily emphasized by asterisks as opposed to italics or bolding. While the latter two can technically work, it's very tenuous imo.

Yeah, it depends on the context. On stage directions, for example, italics indicate action.

3 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Besides that, the concepts of emphasis and saying an action (an example being *wins*) are very different, and that's what I was debating. Yeah, I think we were misunderstanding each other :P

Oh! By emphasis I mean anything that sets text apart from its surroundings. Yes, I see where the misunderstanding was now. :P 

Just now, Lunamor said:

Yep!

So basically if I were to assume that xkcd, which I have not heard of before this conversation, is the same as What If, which is the most hilariously entertaining piece of nonfiction literature in my possession, that would mean it's essentially humor on steroids multiplied by 12.

6 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Yeah, it depends on the context. On stage directions, for example, italics indicate action.

I think those're also whole sentences though? Ene proceeds to roleplay her life away as opposed to *proceeds to roleplay life away*

7 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

By emphasis I mean anything that sets text apart from its surroundings. Yes, I see where the misunderstanding was now. :P 

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :P yeah that's way different.

2 minutes ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

So basically if I were to assume that xkcd, which I have not heard of before this conversation, is the same as What If, which is the most hilariously entertaining piece of nonfiction literature in my possession, that would mean it's essentially humor on steroids multiplied by 12.

Yeah, but a bit more inappropriate. I personally like What If better :P

1 minute ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

Ah I see. I'll probably just stick to What If. 

Oh, I saw that he was making a new book where he gives insanely overcomplicated solutions to simple problems! It looks great, but I’ve forgotten what it’s called.

Edited by Lunamor

1 minute ago, Lunamor said:

Oh, I saw that he was making a new book where he gives insanely overcomplicated solutions to simple problems! It looks great, but I’ve forgotten what it’s called.

Ooooh that sounds very interesting! I'll have to look into it.

Edited by Rosharan A.C.