The Last Post Wins!!!!!

10 hours ago, Lunamor said:

What?

*                                        I-7

Taln

Of fires that burned and yet they were gone. Of heat he could feel when others felt not. Of screams his own that nobody heard. Of torture sublime, for life it meant.

“He just stares like that, Your Majesty.”

Words.

”He doesn’t seem to see anything. Sometimes he mumbles. Sometimes he shouts. But always, he just stares.”

The Gift and words. Not his. Never his. Now his.

“Storms, it’s haunting, isn’t it? I had to ride all this way with that, Your Majesty. Listening to him ranting in the back of the wagon has the time. And feeling and stare at the back of my head the rest.”

“And Wit? You mentioned him.”

“Started on the trip with me Your Majesty. But on the second day, he declared that he needed a rock.”

“A … rock.”

“Yes, Your Majesty. He hopped out of the wagon and found one, then, er, he hit himself on the head with it, Your Majesty. Did it three or four times. Came right back to the wagon with an odd grin, and said … um …”

“Yes?”

“Well, he said that he needed, uh, I had this remembered for you. He said, ‘I needed an objective frame of reference by which to judge the experience of your company. Somewhere between four and five blows, I placed it.’ I don’t rightly understand what he meant, sir. I think he was mocking me.”

“Safe bet.”

Why didn’t they scream? That heat!  Of death. Of death and the dead and the dead and their talking and not screaming of death except of the death that did not come. 

“After that, Your Majesty, Wit just kind of, well, ran off. Into the hills. Like some storming Horneater.”

“Don’t try to understand Wit, Bordin. You’ll only cause yourself pain.”

“Yes, Brightlord.”

“I like this Wit.”

“We are quite aware, Elhokar.”

“Honestly, Your Majesty, I preferred the madman for company.”

“Well of course you did. If people liked to be around Wit, he wouldn’t be much of a Wit, would he?”

They were on fire. The walls were on fire. The floor was on fire. Burning and the inside of a cannot where to be and then at all. Where? 

A trip. Water? Wheels?

Fire. Yes, fire.

“Can you hear me, madman?”

“Elhokar, look at him. I doubt he understands.”

“I am Talenel’Elin, Herald day of War.” Voice. He spoke it. He didn’t think it. The words came, like they always came. 

“What was that? Speak louder, man.”

”The time of the Return, the Desolation, is near at hand. We must prepare. You will have forgotten much, following the destruction of times past.”

“I can make out some of it, Elhokar. It’s Alethi. Northern accent. Not what I’d expect from one with such dark skin.”

”Where did you get the Shardblade, madman? Tell me. Most Blades are accounted for through the generations, their lineage and history recorded. This one is completely unknown. From whom did you take it?”

“Kalak will teach you to cast bronze, if you have forgotten this. We will Soulcast blocks of metal directly for you. I wish we could teach you steel, but casting is so much easier than forging, and you must have something we can produce quickly. Your stone tools will not serve against what is to come.”

“He said something about bronze. And Stone?”
“Vedel can train your surgeons, and Jezrien … he will teach you leadership. So much is lost between Returns …”

“The Shardblade! Where did you get it?”

“How did you separate it from him, Bordin?”

“We didn’t, Brightlord. He just dropped it”

“And it didn’t vanish away? Not bonded, then. He couldn’t have had it for long. Were his eyes this color when you found him?”

“Yes, sir. A dark eyed man with a Shardblade. Odd sight, that.”

“I will train your soldiers. We should have time. Ishar keeps talking about a way to keep information from being lost following Desolations. And you have discovered something unexpected. We will use that. Surgebinders to act as guardians … Knights …”

“He’s said this all before, Your Majesty. When he mumbles, uh, he just keeps at it. Over and over. I don’t think he even knows what he’s saying. Eerie, how his expression doesn’t change as he talks.“

That is an Alethi accent.”

“He looks like he’s been living in the wild for some time, with that long hair and those broken nails. Perhaps a villager lost their mad father.”

“And the Blade, Elhokar?”

“Surely you don’t think it’s his, uncle.”

“The coming days will be difficult, but with training, humanity will survive. You must bring me to your leaders. The other Heralds should join us soon.”

“I am willing to consider anything, these days. Your Majesty, I suggest you send him to the ardents. Perhaps they can help his mind to recover.”

“What will you do with the Shardblade?”

“I’m certain we can find a good use for it. In fact, something occurs to me right now. I might have need of you, Bordin.”

“Whatever you need, Brightlord.”

“ I think … I think I am late … this time …”

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

Too long.*

Taln

Of fires that burned and yet they were gone. Of heat he could feel when others felt not. Of screams his own that nobody heard. Of torture sublime, for life it meant.

Words.

”He doesn’t seem to see anything. Sometimes he mumbles. Sometimes he shouts. But always, he just stares.”

“Storms, it’s haunting, isn’t it? I had to ride all this way with that, Your Majesty. Listening to him ranting in the back of the wagon has the time. And feeling and stare at the back of my head the rest.”

“Started on the trip with me Your Majesty. But on the second day, he declared that he needed a rock.”

“A … rock.”

“Yes, Your Majesty. He hopped out of the wagon and found one, then, er, he hit himself on the head with it, Your Majesty. Did it three or four times. Came right back to the wagon with an odd grin, and said … um …”

“Yes?”

“Well, he said that he needed, uh, I had this remembered for you. He said, ‘I needed an objective frame of reference by which to judge the experience of your company. Somewhere between four and five blows, I placed it.’ I don’t rightly understand what he meant, sir. I think he was mocking me.”

“Safe bet.”

Why didn’t they scream? That heat!  Of death. Of death and the dead and the dead and their talking and not screaming of death except of the death that did not come. 

“After that, Your Majesty, Wit just kind of, well, ran off. Into the hills. Like some storming Horneater.”

“Yes, Brightlord.”

“I like this Wit.”

“Well of course you did. If people liked to be around Wit, he wouldn’t be much of a Wit, would he?”

They were on fire. The walls were on fire. The floor was on fire. Burning and the inside of a cannot where to be and then at all. Where? 

A trip. Water? Wheels?

Fire. Yes, fire.

“I am Talenel’Elin, Herald day of War.” Voice. He spoke it. He didn’t think it. The words came, like they always came. 

”The time of the Return, the Desolation, is near at hand. We must prepare. You will have forgotten much, following the destruction of times past.”

“I can make out some of it, Elhokar. It’s Alethi. Northern accent. Not what I’d expect from one with such dark skin.”

”Where did you get the Shardblade, madman? Tell me. Most Blades are accounted for through the generations, their lineage and history recorded. This one is completely unknown. From whom did you take it?”

“Kalak will teach you to cast bronze, if you have forgotten this. We will Soulcast blocks of metal directly for you. I wish we could teach you steel, but casting is so much easier than forging, and you must have something we can produce quickly. Your stone tools will not serve against what is to come.”

“Vedel can train your surgeons, and Jezrien … he will teach you leadership. So much is lost between Returns …”

“And it didn’t vanish away? Not bonded, then. He couldn’t have had it for long. Were his eyes this color when you found him?”

“I will train your soldiers. We should have time. Ishar keeps talking about a way to keep information from being lost following Desolations. And you have discovered something unexpected. We will use that. Surgebinders to act as guardians … Knights …”

“He’s said this all before, Your Majesty. When he mumbles, uh, he just keeps at it. Over and over. I don’t think he even knows what he’s saying. Eerie, how his expression doesn’t change as he talks.“

That is an Alethi accent.”

“He looks like he’s been living in the wild for some time, with that long hair and those broken nails. Perhaps a villager lost their mad father.”

“Surely you don’t think it’s his, uncle.”

“The coming days will be difficult, but with training, humanity will survive. You must bring me to your leaders. The other Heralds should join us soon.”

“I am willing to consider anything, these days. Your Majesty, I suggest you send him to the ardents. Perhaps they can help his mind to recover.”

“I’m certain we can find a good use for it. In fact, something occurs to me right now. I might have need of you, Bordin.”

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

Too long.*

Taln

Words.

”He doesn’t seem to see anything. Sometimes he mumbles. Sometimes he shouts. But always, he just stares.”

“A … rock.”

“Yes?”

“Safe bet.”

Why didn’t they scream? That heat!  Of death. Of death and the dead and the dead and their talking and not screaming of death except of the death that did not come. 

“Yes, Brightlord.”

“I like this Wit.”

“Well of course you did. If people liked to be around Wit, he wouldn’t be much of a Wit, would he?”

A trip. Water? Wheels?

Fire. Yes, fire.

That is an Alethi accent.”

“Surely you don’t think it’s his, uncle.”

“The coming days will be difficult, but with training, humanity will survive. You must bring me to your leaders. The other Heralds should join us soon.”

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

How long had it been?

Too long.*

22 hours ago, AonEne said:

MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

18 hours ago, I am a stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! said:

*They were on fire. The walls were on fire. The floor was on fire. Burning and the inside of a cannot where to be and then at all. Where?*

Oh, I love that quote!

7 hours ago, I am a stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! said:

Taln's interlude

I love that whole chapter!