WMG On Renarin and Glys

animalia

I am wondering if Renarin is the first person that Glys bonded or if there were others? For example that other truthwatcher in the epigraph that forsaw things, is it possible he didn’t bond a different corrupted truthwatcher spren, but was a different person who bonded with Glys a long time ago?

I posit that what makes Renarin special isn’t the bond with Glys peesay as that has been done before. But that because of the corruption and potential Odium there has always been a risk of someone who bonded with Glys breaking under the influence of visions and potential corruption of Odium. What makes Renarin special is that he did NOT break. And when he failed to break, when he ACCEPTED what he saw, is when he changed the future and became invisible to Odium.

If this sounds crazy, remember that as much as Oathbringer has been about people taking responsibility. It’s also been about people who refused to break vs people who did.

Kaladin to Amaram: “Did thebear forge the spear? No. It simply identified the spear that did not break.”

Dalinar to Odium: “You cannot have my pain.”

etc

4 hours ago, Invocation said:

I think Ivory or one of the other spren would know if something like that had been happening. Ivory specifically because of that spren-type's connection to knowledge and learning, but he was insistent that that situation could not be.

It would have been a very carefully kept secret. With the mass loss of spren (and thus spren knowledge) a couple thousand years ago, many secrets would have been lost.

1 hour ago, Leyrann said:

Wasn't Sja-Anat unable to change KR spren in the past?

Presumably.  We don't have any reason to think she was lying about how "we've never managed to Enlighten such powerful spren before."  It's entirely possible that Glys is the first higher spren to become corrupted, and that led to other things.

Edited by dvoraen

Well that Truthwatcher in the past FORESAW SOMETHING SOMEHOW.

I can throw out more ideas I have for how such an idea could take place. But I must warn you with each new idea there’s something new thst could be wrong.

If you want though I will throw out more possibilities into the frey that I have thought of for discussion, but just to warn you they WILL SOUND RANDOM, and will NOT NESSECARILY all work together.

Edited by animalia

• 1 month later...

:o Whoa.... could it be that the pain/sorrow given is or is somehow converted into voidlight?

On 11/5/2018 at 9:42 AM, Gasper said:

I suspect that the original truthwatcher's abilities acted like the Diagram, a highly accurate, math based prediction. It might not always have worked, but most of the time it did.

Part of me wonders if the disgraced Truthwatchers are the predecessors for what eventually became the stormwardens.

4 hours ago, Solant said:

:o Whoa.... could it be that the pain/sorrow given is or is somehow converted into voidlight?

Part of me wonders if the disgraced Truthwatchers are the predecessors for what eventually became the stormwardens.

That makes a lot of sense actually. If most of them where as weird as Renarian, then it would make sense that they channeled their grief into something that came close to replicating their old abilities.

On 12/28/2018 at 0:07 AM, SeenZ said:

In Oathbringer, when Renarin is waiting for Jasnah to kill him, Glys says "My sorrow, Renarin. I will give you my sorrow." I don't quite get this. Why does he say that? Sounds like Odium asking Dalinar for his pain, but reversed.

So... taking something away from Odium and cultivating it????

• Chaos locked this topic