Come Together

darniil

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread and most of you have picked up on this already, but for those who have not, here is a quote from Brandon in the recent Reddit AMA:

Q: "If Sazed were to die, would he drop the shards Ruin and Preservation or would he drop the shard Harmony?"

BS: "Excellent question. The shards are now intermingled, and would take effort to split apart. He would drop Harmony. (This is what Odium feared would happen, by the way.)"

Shards can be merged.

I read the other day a quote from BS which stated that a splintered shard could also be reformed.  (I'm sorry, I don't have time to hunt it down right now).  I suspect that such a reforming would be challenging and would require collection and congregation of every splinter of the shard.  But if a splintered shard can be reformed and multiple shards can merge, then Adonalsium (in the sense of all sixteen shards being merged together in a [Crystal?]) can be likewise reformed. 

Now why did they simply not reform Adonalsium at the time of the shattering?  I don't know.  Perhaps the shattering caused the shards to be scattered throughout the Cosmere and a group went in search of the shards?  Perhaps there was a power grab similar to the one at the time of the Recreance in Dalainar's vision in WoK when normal soldiers rushed to claim the plate and blades abandoned by the Radiants?

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=948

Mason Wheeler

You've said that Splintering a shard is essentially the same thing as the shattering of Adonalsium, repeated on a smaller scale.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Mason Wheeler

And a while ago, someone asked you if Splintering was permanent or reversible, and you said that it can be reversed.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Mason Wheeler

And shard holders tend to take the name of the shard they hold. So you've got Sazed, who goes by "Harmony" now, after taking up Ruin and Preservation. That makes me wonder, does he hold two shards... or one?

Brandon Sanderson

You could really answer that either way. The distinction is a really subjective one, and you could say that he's holding both shards, or that he holds one single Harmony.

Splintering is reversible yeah

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

• Chaos locked this topic