Long Game 5: Noble Secrets

. . . What?!?! Well, this is a very odd request. That is a gutsy move, and I'm not certain how it will pan out. But It might work for the Plan. If Aspren is a GB, looking to prove his innocence, and we vote for him, then Yay! If he's innocent, and hoping to prove his innocence, Then he should realize his mistake, and admit that He's innocent. To prove this to us, We'll force him to pass a Item to someone of Our choosing.

So, do we stick with the Spanreed plan, or switch to the LYNCH ASPREN Plan? I think we should Lynch him.

This everyone. Including the white text. :P We're going to have to do a lot more of our plotting and planning in here, since we can't even know for certain that the person/people holding the Spanreeds is good or not, but for that to work, we need to get a discussion going!

Pushing for exactly this got me killed night 1 in game 2. However I still stand by it :)

Just to be clear here, just because you said this doesn't mean I trust you any more than I would have otherwise. Because you know full well that if you didn't post something along these lines I and several others would be very Suspicious of you. That said, at the moment I agree with the strategy :)

“So, you got any ideas about who could have done it?”

"Sebarial's not here, so I assume you came because of the king's death. How likely do you think there will be a succession war. I want your real opinion, not what you want to say to ensure your immunity."

Fnorf considered before replying. "At the moment a war is unlikely. The highprinces are too contented with fighting the Parshendi and collecting gemhearts. However, if there were more assassinations paranoi could take over and a civil war could become inevitable. After all there are only 3 reasons why someone would kill the King."

Seeing the blank stares he received Fnorf elaborated. "It could be out of a desire for personal revenge, but that is unlikely. The two most likely reasons are that either the person who did it, or more likely ordered it, desires to become King themselves." Fnorf's eyes flicked to the highprinces present at the party. "Or, someone wanted to cause a civil war. If they wanted that, they would know that killing the King might not be enough to cause it. I suggest you watch your back, or pay someone else to."

Fnorf nodded to Awes and Xanas and strolled off to refill his drink.

I'm not going to vote to lynch anyone today. The chances of lynching an innocent is much higher than the chances of killing a GB. No point to it, really. No action > killing an innocent.

This attitude is a losing strategy for the nobles. Especially in a game where pm's are very limited we need to be discussing as much as possible and the only way to get useful discussion is to throw around accusations. I am not suggesting we necessarily actually lynch someone today. But we do have to act and discuss. Doing nothing only benefits the GB. That said, and with the knowledge that it would require a second vote to cause a lynching, I will vote for Jim Bob Dirt for the time being.

I would like to be on more often but atm Uni work is crippling my ability to post.

Jain raised his eyebrows, for the second time that day. First an assassination, then a suicide request. Things were getting interesting. Jain drew the toy panda out of his pocket. Still emotionless. Putting it back, he walked away from the crowd. He would watch and wait, for now.

So I won't vote today. Interesting request, Aspren. Quite smart.

In an attempt to assuage anyone's suspicion as to my sanity (that is, confirm my lack thereof), and in what is arguably the most stupid and possibly brilliant (I'm seriously hoping that it is the latter) move ever made in an elimination game (though I suppose there have been worse), I ask that I be voted for.

That right, I'm asking you to vote for me. As in, put my name in blood-coloured letters with the expectation that a sufficient number of the said red-ed names-of-mine will result in my permanent departure from the land of the living.

I'll repeat that, vote for me.

Well, unless people actually do it, you're basically just asking us to call your bluff. ;)

Tion coolly considered the Stormwarden's words. 

His kind is very good at predicting, he thought. He very well could realize that no one would take such a claim honestly. This could be a brilliant tactical move to express his innocence. Besides, I've been having to play nice at this party for far too long and a little blood and death could hopefully lighten my mood. 

Tion nodded. "Very well, I will honor your wishes, Stormwarden Sprenil. Please be sure to not die too quickly or you'll ruin all the fun."

For the first time that night, Faialen cut off his playing. The song ended in a discordant tangle of notes as Sprenil made his announcement. Storms. He's got some spheres for a Stormwarden. 

Asking to be hanged in front of a mob of scared and paranoid Lighteyes? Alethi Lighteyes? That was madness. Faialen could name a dozen people at this party who would be more than willing to take Sprenil up on his preposition. More then a few of them likely had the means to do it personally, too.

Faialen was perplexed, but content to wait and listen. As discussion resumed and more suspicions were voiced, he struck up a new melody. Tense and clear; the different lead lines weaving in and out like voices in a debate, the bass strings droning ominously in the background all the while.

Well, this is interesting. :P I have a few suspicions, but nothing concrete enough to vote on. (Most of those I consider suspicious have been called out already anyway.)

Tion nodded. "Very well, I will honor your wishes, Stormwarden Sprenil. Please be sure to not die too quickly or you'll ruin all the fun."

"Oh, sure. Of-course yes." Sprenil nodded eagerly  "Though, I just want to point out that I'm not exactly a Stormwarden just yet. My studies were interrupted before I became an actual Stormwarden. So I'm more of a Stormwarden in training, or rather, if you'd prefer, a Stormwarden neophyte. Or maybe a novice Stormwarden, yeah that sounds nice...    ".

Again it took a while for Sprenil to realize what he was doing. Luckily for him it didn't seem like Tion, or anyone for that matter, was listening by that point.

Anyone know where I can go to buy a book on lobotomies?

Edited by Aspren

This attitude is a losing strategy for the nobles. Especially in a game where pm's are very limited we need to be discussing as much as possible and the only way to get useful discussion is to throw around accusations. I am not suggesting we necessarily actually lynch someone today. But we do have to act and discuss. Doing nothing only benefits the GB. That said, and with the knowledge that it would require a second vote to cause a lynching, I will vote for Jim Bob Dirt for the time being.

I would like to be on more often but atm Uni work is crippling my ability to post.

You know what benefits the GB even more? A noble getting lynched. The thing is, there's no point in baseless accusations. What useful discussion comes from that a random lynch vote?  

Storms, I want to vote but I'm not sure I'll be able to change my vote if something new turns up so I won't vote.

Cara looked at the strange man in the corner. He had been standing there watching her and talking to other ardents for a long time now. She had asked a fellow ardent who he is was and the ardent had told her that the man was named Jost and that he was asking the ardents questions about her. She couldn't stand being watched anymore so she took her break and left the temple.

As she wandered outside she heard reports that a man wanted people to kill him, and people were actually thinking of doing it. "That man is crazier then all of the ten fools combined," Cara thought. "If he survives his crazy idea I'll have to help him work through his problems, whatever they may be."

You know what benefits the GB even more? A noble getting lynched. The thing is, there's no point in baseless accusations. What useful discussion comes from that a random lynch vote?  

See, the thing is that by voting someone out we get information.  Yes, it benefits the GB more, but if they had items they can be distributed but we know that they are innocent, which can help prove a few things.  Overall, the first day is difficult on what to do because of the fact nobody knows anything yet.

Tors felt he had to speak up when he heard Tion accept Sprenil's request.  "No, see he can't be with the assassins, none of them would be crazy enough to do this.  It is storming insane for an innocent to act like this, but even more so a traitor!  To risk themselves would be suicide, and they would know it..." Tors trailed off as he realized that this fact would make it a believable bluff.  "Hmm, I see you have a point, Tion.  Sprenil, I don't know how crazy you are, but I too will follow your suicidal crazy plan."

I've come to dislike the idea of players coasting to the end by seeming to be inactive so until Pailan makes some kind of appearance, that's where my vote will go.

It seemed the baseless accusations had now progressed into actual threats. These storm blasted brightlords were actually discussing lynching somebody. What madness had Awes been drawn into? It sounded like one of them was even volunteering himself for the sacrifice and a few were willing to take him up on that offer. This wasn't at all how he'd imagined these delegations proceeding but, as the old saying went, When in Alethkar....

"Being a Ryshadium handler myself, I find that other stablemaster's bearing over there to be rather suspicious. Therefore, I say the man called Pailan is likely one of the assassins."

After hearing the words come out of his mouth, Awes found them to be far less impressive than he was hoping. He quickly retreated back to his corner, regretting that he'd spoken up at all. Perhaps I should have just followed fnorf's lead?

Cara looked at the strange man in the corner. He had been standing there watching her and talking to other ardents for a long time now. She had asked a fellow ardent who he is was and the ardent had told her that the man was named Jost and that he was asking the ardents questions about her. She couldn't stand being watched anymore so she took her break and left the temple.

Oh, oops. I completely Forgot that I voiced Suspicions of you and Lucal in my RP. I just needed to say something In my RP, I don't really Suspect you, Not yet at least. But here, just to be Certain.

Continuation of Chach, Nan, Chach.

Penned by my Sister Sani.

My investigations prove fruitless. Both the Ardent and the Scribe have legitimate reasons for arriving so late. And while Tion is still acting Suspicious, he's also always acted this way. Then there's the Matter of Sebariel's Seargent going after the Dirt merchant of all people.

More pressing though, is Hathams Ward. He got Drunk during Tion's feast, and loudly proclaimed that he wantedpeople to vote for him. I'm not certain he knows what's going on, or even that he's Right in the Head. Time will tell.

~Jost Joslin

There we go. And there Aspren, I gave you a Perfectly legitimate Reason to RP that Proclamation. Drunkness! Saritu must have gotten to you quickly.

"Ah-ha! My trap is sprung!" Tion leapt to his feet and pointed a wine glass at Tors. "You see, Sprenil is right; this tactic would be foolhardy! At best, it saves his skin, which I look forward to being flayed, for only one more day!'

'You see, I believe that these "Ghostbloods" would never initiate a public killing. They're far too cowardly for that! But they might try force a killing*!" 

'I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. You Ardents seem to dislike anything that goes against your religion, but I expected better of you during this time of woe. Now I must, again, take charge and ask my fellow Brightlords to act against this treachery. The Ardent Tors seems to be trying to bring back the Hierocracy!"

'An Ardent flays just as well as a Stormwarden after all."

With that, Tion sat back and nodded towards a few of the old king's guards. Now was the time to see if others would follow his lead. If he could get the masses on his side, the throne was halfway his! 

If you're innocent Tulir, Aspren will likely be joining you shortly. As somewhat stated above, my belief is that the Ghostbloods wouldn't initiate a vote, but they would be more than willing to jump on a vote! I have two reasons for this:

1. They can't really afford to come off as too suspicious. If they initiate a vote, that person will likely end up in the cross hairs eventually. 
  2. They'll want to get in on every vote possible to maximize their chances of getting items. They can't afford to let us lynch without them, as that just makes one of us more powerful and more likely to be able to stand against them.

Since I probably won't be on in time to switch my vote before the end of the day, this is likely where my vote will stay. My suggestion is that we lynch either Aspren or Tulir today. 

Yes, it would be helpful to give our Spanreed people a night without even the possibility of confusion, but the odds are far more in their favor than against and I don't think we should wait for the difference between 90% and 100%; not with how limited the PMs are anyways. 

*I'd like to reiterate that I'm not calling the actual Ghostbloods cowardly. That is all in character and I think you've done an amazing job of keeping yourselves hidden so far! 

Edited by Metacognition

Sprenil had just asked to be considered guillty. Why would he do that? Was he really guilty and trying to make people second-guess him? Was he actually innocent, and just not all there in the head? Maybe, strange as it seemed for an Alethi noble, he was trying to take the righteous route and prevent anyone else guilty being hanged.

Wurum raised his hand to vote for Sprenil, just after Tion had done so. The man was rather sharp, but he seemed smart enough. Then, suddenly, Tion rounded on Tors for doing the same, and his hand shot down immediately before anyone had noticed. It seemed rather suspicious that the man was rounding on everyone like this, just for expressing their opinions.

Dammit, I go to bed for the night guys, and you all manage to take the easy accusations. I'm still of the opinion that no-one is guilty enough to be lynched, but we'll never have 100% proof in this game, let alone on the first day. As such, while I don't think there is enough evidence to lynch a Ghostblood with a degree of certainty, it's enough to condemn them.

It seems that Sprenil's method did what it meant to do, which was just to get people talking. I would put a vote forward for Tion, just because he's being rather aggressive in his accusations and wild vote-swinging, but it seems a bit cruel if Meta is off for the day and can't defend himself. I will vote for Jain, considering he has also claimed that he won't vote. Not voting on the first day isn't necessarily a bad thing, but only by the end of the day by everyone either nullifying their votes or forcing a tie or each lynchee having one votes. Not voting and not discussing points doesn't help anyone.

(Pretend the below text is blue. I have posting issues)

Looks like sub-factions have already been made, and I'm all by myself. Looks like the observer also dies. Even not voting can cause people to attempt to lynch me.

Very well, Wyrmhero. I shall discuss what I will do if my contributions aren't enough.

Like all cases, we have suspects. We have plans. We have plots. We have lynch attempts. We even have people taking justice and injustice into their own hands by using their items. We have people who hide in the dark, we have active contributors and we even have a person who tries to make as much out of this mystery as possible (the thief). Each have their virtues, and each have their downfalls, as this is a game of chance, lies and guesswork. How do we tell the liar from the paragon? How do we know if our allies have a knife poised before our heart? Sometimes, we choose not to take part in such complexities. We sit back, watch and hope to survive. We try to nudge things in certain directions, whether for amusement or personal gain.

Sometimes, we become the observer.

I am an observer. I will contribute and support my side, but at a safe and minimal level. I will make jibes, I will make jokes. I will try to survive and enjoy my ride.

Oh, by the way, since I didn't vote, I can choose an heir.

(End of Blue text)

Jain wandered through the camp. Where was he now? People just had to run off when he needed to find them, didn't they?

After many hours of fruitless searching, Jain spotted his target.

"Jost! Hey Jost! Ex-Soldier-Shardbearer-whatever!"

Jost turned around, confused by the sudden (and queer) attempts to catch his attention. Spotting the source of the noise - it was that crazy Shin again - He tried to slip away.

"Not so fast," muttered Jain. Lunging forward, grabbing Jost's cloak hem.

(Red Text start)

"You see, Jost, I've chosen you to be the heir of my Painrial"

(Red Text end)

(I have no idea why I wrote all that. Maybe it's because I had a cup of really strong tea. I didn't break any rules, did I?)

(I also just committed suicide, didn't I?)

Edit: Posting Issues and Grammar

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

Panda, if your browser doesn't let you change the font color with buttons, you can always use tags (like I'm doing now on my iPad). I have copied the three you'd need for this game below. Just remember to remove the asterisks from them to make them work

Blue Text Here[/color*]

Red Text Here[/color*]

Green Text Here[/color*]

In addition, you can stylize the text further with these:

[i*]Italicized text here[/i*]

[b*]Bold text here[/b*]

[u*]Underlined text here[/u*]

Again, those will only work if you remove all the asterisks

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

(I also just committed suicide, didn't I?)

Edit: Posting Issues and Grammar

And possibly painted a big target on poor Jost's back if you do turn out to be GB since there is no other way you could logically trust someone enough at this point to make them your heir. Though, I don't really think you are GB, just new to the game. A move like that is a bit reckless for them to attempt this early on.

Edit: color

I'll try to be more active this game. Past couple days have been super busy. I didn't even realise the game had started until yesterday, and didn't have time to read through everything and post until now. I'm still undecided about what the best thing to do on the first day is. I'm also unconvinced that the Ghostbloods won't start a vote, because I think in pretty much every game, they have.

"A Ryshadium handler?" Pailan drawled, taking a sip of her wine, suppressing the twinge of envy at the mention of the great creatures. "I'm sure that teaches you a great deal about how to care for real horses." She raised an eyebrow, and lifted her gloved safehand in salute. "Or, perhaps, you are simply too befuddled to recognise a woman when you see one." True, she was a bit flat and wasn't much for fashion and perfumes like so many other brightladies, and really, it had been partly for that that she'd been drawn to horses in the first place. If she couldn't ride one to battle, to victory, to the tranquiline halls, at least she didn't have to pursue war with a quill and paintbrush.

She returned to frowning at Sprenil. She really had no idea what he was thinking, volunteering himself like this. Confessing? She would have preferred to be able to trust the one person she was at least a nodding acquaintance with, both being in Hatham's service. Her gaze flicked back to Tion, and her frown deepened. Who was he to take charge. And yet, yet, he did seem to be making sense. She set her cup down, and rubbed at her temples with her free hand. She hadn't had enough sleep the night before, what with one of her charges foaling. She should probably feel something about the King being dead, now that she thought about it, but, really, her loyalty had always been for Highprince Hatham. The King frankly had little to do with her,  except an excuse for her Highlord to enter combat.

What would become of the Vengeance Pact now? Well, if it was dissolving Highlord Hatham would need his people even more than ever. Even if they were a half-trained stormwarden with no sense at all. Of course, if she agreed, she'd be singled out as well. Dilemmas. Well, she couldn't just sit here. There were decisions to be made, actions to be taken, she would be remiss if she simply sat back and let matters take their course when she could be involved. "I agree. I think we should be wary of Tors."

Jim Bob Dirt: 1 (Fnorf)

Sprenil: (1) Tion, Tors

Pailan: (1) Awes

Tors: (2) Tion, Pailan

Jain: (1) Wurum

Depending on what happens in the next few hours, I may have time to switch, if people have persuasive arguments otherwise. I realise that the exact same logic used against Tors might be used against me. I also think that the Ghostbloods may not actually mind other people building up arsenals of items that they can raid.

Hmm, fair enough Meta.  I can't really argue with that.  There is some information being given out by people in these posts, and it is very informative.  As I don't really want to die the first day, I will retract my vote for Sprenil and change it to Jim Bob Dirt. I would prefer not to die, and Adolin_Dustbringer, I don't actually suspect you yet.

"What?!  The Hierocracy?!  That would be madness!  No one wants a return to those days!  They way Vorinism is today is much better.  I am content in my place, Brightlord."  As he laced that last word with sarcasm, Tors backed out of the group of people to try to think.  Storms, that Tion was an arrogant fool.

Excellent RP, Meta, Tion is developing like you wanted

Edited by Tulir

Caring for horses? Not so much. Surviving attacks though... Awes was happy the Wit currently wasn't paying attention to the proceedings. If he were, Awes would be getting an earful after that mistake. In his defense, it was a large room and Pailan had been far away. Plus, whoever heard of a respectable lighteye woman being a stablemaster? How do you train a horse with one hand? Regardless, Awes felt the fool. He'd already made a blunder on his first attempt to contribute.

"My apologies Brightness. I... The room... You were far away... and the stablemaster's uniform isn't exactly flattering to a woman's figure. It was my mistake though and I humbly retract any suspicious I directed your way. Perhaps we can trade tips sometime on how best to care for our respective charges?"

With that, Awes quickly retreated back to his corner of the room. He was far too embarrassed to voice anymore suspicions.

glad to see that with sphinx's post it looks like everyone is active in the game so far. Hopefully that holds till the end.(though I definitely wouldn't hold it against someone if real life interferes since that is more important than a game)

Well, That was actually a Smart move on Meta's Part. Tulir does seem suspicious, but so does Aspren. More so than Tulir or Adolin does. It doesn't appear we're following either of the Plans anymore, which is bad. We need to make a plan and stick to it. So here's What I propose now, We lynch either Tulir or Aspren, and kill the other tonight, if we have weapons. I'll be getting on in about 4 hours, So i'll hold my vote until I see if people are going to follow the plan.

On the subject of Heirs, I don't reccomend choosing an Heir unless you have the most votes. I reccomend everyone chooses an Heir tonight though, instead of an action. That way, if the GB's Stabbey Stabbey you, they'll only get one of your items. A GB is likely to publicly declare an Heir, because it paints targets, now everyone knows that Jain has a Painrail, and if He get's Lynched, I'll have it.

And thank youi Jain.

I'm not sure why following your plan, or not following your plan, needs to be announced. There's some benefit to agreeing to behave cohesively, and then seeing where deviations pop up, but there's really no real way to tell if people are following the plan or not. Declaring an heir may be valuable, but if you only have one item, it'll go to the ghostbloods whether you declare an heir or no. I think this is a game where we need information quickly, particularly with the lack of the nobility to communicate privately, and if everyone spends their night declaring heirs, we won't get any.

If we do not discuss we are essentially giving them free kills. The only way we can reliably hunt them down is through discussion, voting and analysis. Watching how people defend themselves and who else speaks out for or against them or someone else gives us masses of information that is exactly what we need to detect the Ghostbloods. The initial vote is the impetus for this discussion.

I reccomend everyone chooses an Heir tonight though, instead of an action. That way, if the GB's Stabbey Stabbey you, they'll only get one of your items.

I disagree and here is why:

1) I find it highly doubtful that more than a couple of people at most have multiple items at this stage of the game. So if the GB stabby stabby someone they are virtually guaranteed to be getting a maximum of 1 item anyway. Later in the game this could be important, but not yet.

2) At the moment we have very little knowledge as to who is likely a GB and who isn't so it would be a roughly 20-25% chance that you would name a GB as your heir. By tomorrow night we should have a far better foundation to guess who we might be able to trust. Then it would be a good idea to secretly name an heir. This way far fewer items are likely to end up in GB hands.

Hence that might not be the very best of ideas.