Long Game 5: Noble Secrets

Of course, the main variable here is how many Spies we have, and thus how many people can be declared innocent. The problem here though is that - unless a Spy was lucky enough to get a Spanreed with their role, or gets messaged by their first target in an extraordinary bout of luck - they can't build up a base of power behind the scenes. As such, I'd probably expect us to either have a large number of Spies to counter this, or just one because it's not so important this game. I think the Spanreeds are going to be our main weapon here.

Everyone has gotten used to having pms available for conspiring, but it is entirely possible to do without, you just need to have enough discussion going. It is harder, but it also lessens the chance of having pm groups controlled by the GB.

Fnorf wasn't sure if he was supposed to be at the party. He was of low Dahn and Sebarial had chosen not to come so Fnorf couldn't pretend he was there to guard him. But nobody noticed or questioned a darkeyes dressed as a guard. Everyone simply assumed he had reason to be there and ignored him completely. Fnorf had hoped to enjoy a pleasant party, watch the lighteyed ladies and laugh at the King's Wit's jokes. Whether it could have been a good party or not the death of the King had undeniably ruined it. The ladies had mostly left and the King's Wit was as silent as the King.

Fnorf swirled the wine in his cup as he considered what the news meant to him. The King of Alethkar assassinated, again. It could lead to chaos, turmoil and fighting. A dangerous time for everyone, especially a mercenary. Fnorf had truly enjoyed his time serving Sebarial. Good pay, good accommodation, good wine and very little fighting or chance of death. But a civil war would change all that.

On the other hand. In a civil war mercenaries were highly prized. Mercenary rates increased dramatically and a man could get very rich. If he survived.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

Awes had no idea what he was supposed to be doing here. Years of following the commands of brightlords told him to just agree with everything men like Tion were saying but he didn’t think that would best be serving Sebarial’s interests. Besides, just because they were of higher dahn than Awes, that didn’t mean they were automatically above reproach. Anyone here could have been part of the conspiracy.

Awes was relieved upon arriving at the gathering when he actually recognized a few faces from Sebarial’s own camps. He wasn’t completely alone. If he was going to trust someone, at least it would be one of his own people.

For now, he would avoid the Shin. Not because he was Shin, but because something about the man just seemed off. Perhaps it was that strange animal figurine he was always carrying around and stroking? It didn’t look like something that would survive an encounter with a chull, much less a whitespine. Definitely not the kind of beast Awes would look to for inspiration but he’d heard the wildlife was strange in Shinovar.

Awes instead sidled through the crowd over to the sergeant, he believed he recalled the man’s name was Ffnorf. As Awes drew near, the sergeant noticed his presence and gave him an obligatory nod.

“Good to see a familiar face here. How’s the wine?”

Ffnorf gave a non committal shrug then went back to surveying the crowd. He didn’t seem to be any more excited about being here than Awes himself was. It wasn’t the most promising starts to a partnership but he decided to forge ahead anyway.

“So, you got any ideas about who could have done it?”

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Xanas sat, the pink wine still with him. "You want this?" he said. "Humperdinck didn't seem able to use it all anymore, and I don't drink at all." He glanced over at Fnorf. "Don't worry, I live in Kharbranth, but I have visited the Horneaters and other peoples of the east. I don't place stock in the color of your eyes." Xanas leaned in close. "Sebarial's not here, so I assume you came because of the king's death. How likely do you think there will be a succession war. I want your real opinion, not what you want to say to ensure your immunity."

So, just to support you all, I changed my sig. Ithink it will describe my role. After all, who better than Taravangian to silence the Ghostbloods once and for all.

Hey Guys. Sorry for the end of Game 4 and start of this game. I've been out of town since last Thursday and just got back - but I'm working so no time for RP. I'll try to get some written up tonight. Sorry again!

Everyone has gotten used to having pms available for conspiring, but it is entirely possible to do without, you just need to have enough discussion going. It is harder, but it also lessens the chance of having pm groups controlled by the GB.

This everyone. Including the white text. :P We're going to have to do a lot more of our plotting and planning in here, since we can't even know for certain that the person/people holding the Spanreeds is good or not, but for that to work, we need to get a discussion going! 

I'm just going to lay out my thoughts and see what you guys think. First, I think we should be voting for people already. Even a random lynch would tell us something and there's always the chance that we'll get lucky and hit a Ghostblood right off the bat. Besides, we'd at least be able to see who comes to the person's aide and who tries to distance themselves, even if they're innocent.  If I were to vote for someone, at this point, it would be Grellin. My only evidence for such is that he posted as soon as possible after roles were sent out (possibly trying to cover up his role as a Ghostblood by doing that than hitting the Doc to speak to his compatriots first) and the fact that I'll bet most of the Ghostbloods had already checked in before my post last night. I know, not very strong evidence, but it's only the first day.

Notice that I said we should be voting, not exactly lynching though. The second we have our first death, our spy/spies can't be certain of anyone they scan, but if we don't lynch anyone, we'll at least give them one night. They might not be able to come out and start a trust with that person, but they could likely help keep that person from being lynched by us! 

If we lynch someone, fine. We'll get information out of it. If not, fine, we give our spy/spies a free night. Either way, we need to get started like, yesterday. Anyone who isn't in here, trying to help out should be immediately suspect as we need all the information we can get and we know they likely aren't helping behind the scenes. If you don't have anything new to add, even your approval or disapproval of a plan of action will give us something to work with, so at least add that to the conversation!

If you're going to use that reasoning for voting for someone, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have included Wurum. He posted one minute before Maili announced the roles had been sent out. It likely took Maili an hour or so to get all those PM's sent out. I would guess Wurum already had his role when he posted as well and that would make his the first post after roles were released.

Edit: Hm, on second thought there was only about 20 minutes between the write up and the post about roles being released so didn't take that long to send them. Questionable then on if Wurum was just posting after the writeup or if he had his role yet.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

That's why I don't suspect Wurum yet. He likely posted that either before getting his role or wrote it before checking to see what his role was. That doesn't mean that he's clean, just that he didn't have the possible motivation to do so. Like I said, it's weak reasoning at this point, but until we get more to build off of, it's the only thing I could think of at this point that gives us something to start with. 

If you're going to use that reasoning for voting for someone, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have included Wurum. He posted one minute before Maili announced the roles had been sent out. It likely took Maili an hour or so to get all those PM's sent out. I would guess Wurum already had his role when he posted as well and that would make his the first post after roles were released.

Edit: Hm, on second thought there was only about 20 minutes between the write up and the post about roles being released so didn't take that long to send them. Questionable then on if Wurum was just posting after the writeup or if he had his role yet.

That's why I don't suspect Wurum yet. He likely posted that either before getting his role or wrote it before checking to see what his role was. That doesn't mean that he's clean, just that he didn't have the possible motivation to do so. Like I said, it's weak reasoning at this point, but until we get more to build off of, it's the only thing I could think of at this point that gives us something to start with. 

In all honesty, I did know my role when I posted that. I just happened to be online at the time the emails got sent, though about ten minutes later and I've have been in bed and none-the-wiser that the game had started. I was rather surprised that it started yesterday; I hadn't actually been keeping track of it.

But in any case, the only reason I replied here before Maili posted that he'd sent out the emails was that I didn't know he was going to post that. If I'd known he was going to do that, and start the game officially as it were, I'd have waited that extra minute. So I feel like I've jumped the gun a bit and caused confusion which shouldn't be there.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Well, I'll start by saying (though it may not count for much in your eyes) I don't think that we should use the amount of time before the first post as an indication of whom we should be voting for, even if we don't intend to lynch yet. I was merely excited to begin the game, so I took the first change I got after receiving my PM to do a little RP.

We should definitely not lynch anyone today. We have so little information to go on, as only a few have made non-RP posts yet. Meta, you say that if we lynch, the Spy cannot be sure of anyone they scan. Maybe I'm just confused, but I don't really understand that reasoning. Can you please explain it?

Here are my thoughts on what will happen during the night:

Whoever has the Shardblade will do nothing. There is very little to go on and it is pretty useless to run the risk of killing an innocent. However, anyone with Shardplate or a Half-shard will use it, in order to defend just in case. The Pain Knife will also most likely not be used, also because of lack of information, unless someone with it really suspects someone already. The Soulcaster and Grandbow are similarly useless right now.

No spanreeds will be used during the night, since there is no point in starting discussion during the night and they probably won't know whom to trust yet. Anyone with an Alerter will definitely use it. That is pretty much a given, as well as the Bracelet being used, since they only help one.

The Thief may try to steal something, the only reason not to being possibly found out by the Emotion Bracelet. However, they are unlikely to succeed in stealing anything quite yet. Obviously the GBs will kill someone. That is given. The Antifabrian risks giving a GB something, so they will do nothing. Finally, the Spy will spy. Obvious.

The night will provide several players with important information. From there, we can proceed to lynching. But for today, I advocate no lynching.

If someone is killed, and they had any items, the items will be distributed via the GM to those who voted for them. If we were to lynch someone and they had the Shardblade or the Grandbow or the Soulcaster (as those are the only items that are confirmed good to start), there is a chance that the item could go to a Ghostblood that voted for the person since no one has named a heir. That means that the spies can't be 100% sure that if they scan someone and that person holds one of those items that they are good. The chances of them being good as still high, but there's still a chance that they are not. Because let's face it, the Ghostbloods aren't going to just vote for one person. They're likely going to spread themselves out over those that are being voted for and then whomever does die, they stand at least a chance to get an item. It let's them hide easier and they still reap the benefits. 

If someone is killed, and they had any items, the items will be distributed via the GM to those who voted for them. If we were to lynch someone and they had the Shardblade or the Grandbow or the Soulcaster (as those are the only items that are confirmed good to start), there is a chance that the item could go to a Ghostblood that voted for the person since no one has named a heir. That means that the spies can't be 100% sure that if they scan someone and that person holds one of those items that they are good. The chances of them being good as still high, but there's still a chance that they are not. Because let's face it, the Ghostbloods aren't going to just vote for one person. They're likely going to spread themselves out over those that are being voted for and then whomever does die, they stand at least a chance to get an item. It let's them hide easier and they still reap the benefits.

Thank you for explaining. I forgot that the items were distributed among those who voted for the person who was lynched, not just randomly dispersed, and wasn't thinking about Ghostbloods receiving an item. I agree with your reasoning about the Ghostbloods' voting actions, as well.

Well, I'll start by saying (though it may not count for much in your eyes) I don't think that we should use the amount of time before the first post as an indication of whom we should be voting for, even if we don't intend to lynch yet. I was merely excited to begin the game, so I took the first change I got after receiving my PM to do a little RP.

We should definitely not lynch anyone today. We have so little information to go on, as only a few have made non-RP posts yet...

The night will provide several players with important information. From there, we can proceed to lynching. But for today, I advocate no lynching.

This same discussion comes up every game on the first day. While I don't think we should definitely lynch someone today, I also think its a waste of a day if we just decide to wait until after tonight to do anything productive. There is plenty of time to retract votes, switch to no vote, or tie the votes (like the first day in the 4th game) if we decide no one is suspicious enough to get lynched. 

In the meantime, we should still voice suspicions and maybe even throw a few votes out there. Yes, that does leave some risk that an innocent will die today but it's worth gaining some leads to go on for our night actions. If nothing else, voting for a few people who haven't posted at all yet, might encourage them to make a contribution. If they end up being inactive, I don't mind if they accidentally get lynched because inactives just add extra confusion when trying to identify the GB.

No spanreeds will be used during the night, since there is no point in starting discussion during the night and they probably won't know whom to trust yet. 

Not sure I'd agree. Information is the key to this game and a big part of that is comparing what people say they are doing to what they are actually doing. PM's are the best way to accomplish that. With a limited number of people who can organize PM's I feel like it's important to start building networks early. We'd be half way through the game if people waited to start pm's with people who they had absolute trust in.

I actually find it a little suspicious that you would be encouraging people not to start private discussions. If a GB makes it into one, yes they can cause some chaos so there is that risk. On the flip side, though, the GB's job is much easier when everything is discussed in public since they have their own private doc to coordinate in. 

I actually find it a little suspicious that you would be encouraging people not to start private discussions. If a GB makes it into one, yes they can cause some chaos so there is that risk. On the flip side, though, the GB's job is much easier when everything is discussed in public since they have their own private doc to coordinate in.

I guess you're right there. I guess it's not really the end of the world if the Ghostbloods are in PMs. Unless the messages have a ton of people, there would only be one or maybe two GBs per message, and they risk revealing themselves by acting based on information gathered in PMs.

You could also say the exact same thing about Fnorf or Tion, since Fnorf made a comment about the lack of need for PMs and Tion backed it. Just saying.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

In the meantime, we should still voice suspicions and maybe even throw a few votes out there. Yes, that does leave some risk that an innocent will die today but it's worth gaining some leads to go on for our night actions. If nothing else, voting for a few people who haven't posted at all yet, might encourage them to make a contribution. If they end up being inactive, I don't mind if they accidentally get lynched because inactives just add extra confusion when trying to identify the GB.

Well, so far only Adolin Dustbringer/Jim Bob Dirt and Sphinx/Pailan haven't checked in. Last game, neither of them voted for the first three days. As such, not sure if we can cajole them into joining in, though we can certainly try.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I don't think we should vote today. Normally we do, but in this game, there are Items that can prove one's Innocence. So here is my Proposed Plan of Action for this cycle:

1. We don't Lynch today. but we continue discussing, and vote on which plan for the Entire village to follow.
  2. During the Night, all the People with Items that Prove them Innocent, (The Soulcaster, Grandbow, Shardblade) don't use them. 
  3. Those with Spanreeds do use them. They start a Conversation with two other people in it. (I checked the rules, this is allowed.) If someone with a Span reed is Slain, the two people they were talking to will know that the Other is probably a PK GB. Then they report during the day, and we lynch one of them.

There are two possible outcomes to this plan. A Spanreed man dies, and we get a PK GB. Or the PK GB ignore the Spanreed man, thereby insuring their Safety for tonight.

EDIT: Storm it! We're fighting GB's, Not PK's.

Edited by The Only Joe

I also agree about the spanreed plan Joe gave. It seems useful and may provide use. The only problem is that the GB will still kill someone tonight. If they are lucky... they could achieve a nice item like a bow or blade. 

Not to mention the fact that the GB may have a spanreed in their possession. That is a valid object for them to have. 

i have so much more respect for the previous GMs now. This is much harder than it appears. Thanks so much.

Just to verify, it took around 15 minutes.   

Heirs can be declared during the day in place of a vote, just a reminder.

Also, PM's must include me in them to make sure they are shut down at deaths and whatnot.

But just to be clear, there is no UberTin right? :ph34r:

Yes, I just need to shut down PM's once the Spanreed holder dies or the item is taken/disappears

And a note: Artifabrians cannot give themselves items.

Edit: this is pretty embarrassing, but I messed up in the rules. This is what should be there for Pain Knives:

Pain knifes used during the day cancel someone's vote for that day.... The cancellation of an action/vote takes place the same half-cycle you use it.

Also, I said above it takes an empty spot the night before to use a Reverser or Pain Knife, but it is actually the following night, a maximum of two actions will be able to be taken.

Sorry for the confusion and errors of my part.

Edited by Mailliw73

So far we're doing good, No one's Voted, and we're discussing near Constantly. Are we going to use my Plan?  Remember the White text. But Nothing to See here. Move along.

And now that Adolin has joined us, we're just missing Sphinx. Why aren't you moving along?

Seriously, Stop reading White text and Go figure out who is a Ghostblood.

Edited by The Only Joe

In an attempt to assuage anyone's suspicion as to my sanity (that is, confirm my lack thereof), and in what is arguably the most stupid and possibly brilliant (I'm seriously hoping that it is the latter) move ever made in an elimination game (though I suppose there have been worse), I ask that I be voted for.

That right, I'm asking you to vote for me. As in, put my name in blood-coloured letters with the expectation that a sufficient number of the said red-ed names-of-mine will result in my permanent departure from the land of the living.

I'll repeat that, vote for me.

Now that that's over, I can honesty say that that was obviously just an attempt to put so much attention and suspicion on myself as to remove suspicion of myself (or at-least that's what I think I had in mind). Mainly because only the -- THE most insane-(brave) and simultaneously stupid Ghostblood would go so far as to ask for themself to be lynched (though I suppose the aspect of stupidity is universal among self-nominated-lynchees ). Meanwhile it would only take a less-insane normal player/regular villager/noble who has nothing much to lose to risk doing such a thing (though you could justifiably say that I'm just plain insane).

Note to self: I should have chosen a better character to roleplay. How do I explain a coddled lighteye and Stormwarden in training suddenly possessing the fearlessness to stand up and shout at a bunch of people who are ready to start a civil war, and just looking for a reason to kill each other.

The assembly had fallen dead silent. Had that boy really just asked all of them to kill him?

Meanwhile, Sprenil was standing there still, at the front of the assembly with his mouth open, trying to figure out what exactly he had just done. He knew two things though. One, he really needed to burn a prayer or two if he could and two, assuming he survived all this, he really needed to find a book on how to lobotomize oneself.

Edited by Aspren