Long Game 5: Noble Secrets

Day 5: Protection from Death (except for one person. Sorry)

Are 1

Day 5:

The man who had pretended to be Deren, the king's guard, snuck around and boarded up all the latrines in the warcamps and snuck laxatives into the chouta.

Sneaking about the camp in new Shardplate, a figure with rope loosely wrapped about his neck tried to use a Fabrial on someone. A a Plate-clad archer drew back the bowstring on his Grandbow, aiming for the rope-man's neck.

He let the arrow fly, but before the arrow connected, the man who had pretended to be King Naladar's guard ran from the last latrine to the rope Shardbearer and used a Painrial to stop the arrow from damaging the Plate. The man with the rope stared down the archer with fury in his eyes. He nodded and a Shardblade was stabbed into the man's back.

The archer spun around and seeing the king's assassin, tried to fire off an arrow, but missed as the assassin ran away. The archer's damaged Plate became heavier but he managed to slink back to his home.

Jost was sleeping in his comfortable bed when he heard a noise on the main floor. He bolted out of bed and grabbed his new fancy half-shard shield. He hid behind the door and waited for someone to come through.

The assassin had been waiting for his chance to kill a noble. The others had had their chance to help, now it was his. He snuck up to Jost's bedroom ready to kill him. He flung the door open in his haste and unknowingly slammed Jost into the wall. Hearing the noise, the killer turned and, before Jost could move his half-shard to block, stabbed him in the chest with a pair of knives. Jost's body suddenly disappeared. Confused but satisfied at the job he did, the assassin left and went to report to his superiors.

Jost Elsecalled himself to Alethkar. He knew he would be safe there. He had blasphemous powers but if they saved his life, so what. When he appeared in Alethkar, he noticed too late that the assassin had managed to get his knives in before Jost had Elsecalled away. He slumped on the ground and heaved a final breath.

Jost was a Noble with a Spanreed, Soulcaster, and half-shard.

The day begins now and will end at 4:00 MDT/ 23:00 GMT on Wednesday.

If anyone is wondering what happened (I think). The bow aimed for someone we suspected. I gave my shardplate to the bow holder, and meta pain knifed the bow holder (him and I were the only two who knew about the bow).

Meta claimed he had an action assigned to the bow holder tonight and he said he wasn't attacking him. The bow holder joked "I hope you don't pain knife me" and meta didn't respond.

Regardless, due to my poor judgement meta has a full shardplate (we swapped plates, healing his). We played coordinating the GB meta. I vote we don't aim for meta, because we will only chip his shard plate. I'm waiting to hear what information was spied out. I will be using my spanreed I got from Grey today more than likely to open up other conversations. I don't think we have much of a chance to win (next to 0) but maybe if we get lucky.

Edited by Macen

Yeah. I know that mail. But does that mean only 1 pm, or I can make as many as I want as long as I make it public?

Also, Sorry for my misread. Statement sitll stands true, as far as I know - meta and I were the only people who knew who the Bow was aimed for?

The fact that someone was targeted by the bow and protected from harm by a painrial last night means the cat is out of the bag so there's no point in hiding what I am anymore. In fact, I'd prefer to lay a few cards on the table before Macen starts trying to scramble through pm's today in an attempt to recover from yet another setback (and likely failing once again).

Awes looked around the room and found mostly shock and confusion. Yet another noble dead and at this point only a few in here really knew what happened. He turned his gaze to Ace and found the man staring back at him with barely controlled rage. Ace knew now that he'd been played this whole time. Awes was amazed the man hadn't yet tried to cross the room and rip out his throat with his bare hands. He must still be trying to settle things through some elaborate plan which was bound to fail. Awes shrugged off the murderous glare then turned to address the whole gathering. He had plans of his own to set in motion.

"To the thief, I know who you are (Our bracelet saw you steal an item last night). We would like to make a formal offer. As has been stated a few times, things aren't looking too good for the nobles. Even identifying me, and even if they finally manage to lynch one of us today, we've still got a pretty significant advantage with the items we have accrued. There's a chance they can pull it out but it will rely on quite a bit of luck which has thus far been lacking on their side."

"So, the offer is to join us and help us finish this thing off sooner rather than later. You have to admit, the nobles haven't shown you all that much love and have called for your lynching a couple times based on pretty shacky arguments. Join with us and you'll see what a true brotherhood is like and you can share in the victory with us. All that we ask is that tonight you steel the bow. Wurum has it. Consider it your initiation. We look forward to welcoming you among us."

Edit: grammar

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

"Bold words. I will still see you hang, Awes and I will enjoy it," Tion glared at the outspoken Ghostblood. "And once we are done with you, we will do the same to your friends."

He stood to address the crowd. 

"Most of you likely hate me. I don't blame you. Rest assured, I return the feeling.'

'But I am not your enemy today. I was never your enemy. This division is exactly how they were capable of bringing us this low, but we are Alethi, are we not? We will not just stand idly by and allow ourselves to be beaten. No, we are a proud people and we will fight! We have survived far worse and we will not go silently! From the lowliest thief, to the Heralds themselves, we do not give in! To Victory!"

I swear, if you people don't come back and upvote this once you realize I'm innocent, I will hunt you down! : P

Edited by Metacognition

Well, that could have gone better, I admit.

Wurum wore his Shardplate. He would have to thank Ace for that. Right when he needed it to, since it had saved his life. It also meant that he could wield his Grandbow better., since they usually required the strength of the plate to even be lifted, let alone drawn. He currently held the stupidly large weapon in his right hand, a handful of equally as ridiculously large arrows in his other. Who had even come up with the idea of this. Still, he had a job to do - or to be more accurate, a job to finish. But first...

"I trust Tion," he declared. "And Ace, both completely. Tion knew what we were planning, but did not use his Pain-Knife on me. He knew I had protection against Shardblades as well, for that matter. He could have Painrialed Awes, this is true, but why bother? Why not cut it off at the source?"

Now it was time to confront a murderer.

"You saw a thief in the night as well, did you? Jim, I presume. Well, I suppose that confirms where the Emotion Bracer went to, at least. I suppose I should remind him that the real prize is the Shardblade that one of you has hidden away. A Grandbow is worth nothing without the Plate to use it properly."

"I wonder how you escaped suspicion so well? Not a single vote made against you." He drew back the bow with a strength previously unknown to him, keeping the arrow pointing at Awes. This time, he made sure that no-one could sneak up on him. Oh, they would probably hang the man instead of letting him fire his bow, but if he made a move to escape, he could at least try it. "Your friends will probably kill me tonight. But at least I can claim to be the only person who got one of you first."

Edited by Wyrmhero

No. This is a bad idea... If we can believe the write up, then Awes is in Plate... 

That means that there are three sets of plate out there and the Ghostbloods already have one. The only Plate unaccounted for is mine, but I wouldn't be pointing this out if it was mine. 

Yes, yes, I'm supposedly a Ghostblood. But if I was, I -

A- wouldn't be pointing this out and

B-wouldn't have offered you the exact same target as what had happened. 

If we lynch Awes, he'll survive; mark my words. 

We need someone, anyone other than Awes that we actually suspect is a Ghostblood. He was the one that spoke up for a reason. 

I won't list names, as I've had horrible luck so far, but heed my warning here. Awes can't be protected by the Painrial twice, so he'll be taken down a notch the next night. 

If we can kill one today, we still stand a chance. 

Edited by Metacognition

No. This is a bad idea... If we can believe the write up, then Awes is in Plate...

Bah, you're right about that. I'd completely missed that due to the Painrial thing going on. So Awes has Shardplate. That makes things awkward. Interesting then that they applied a Painrial to the person already in Shardplate who would survive anyway, right, Tion? Mind giving us an explanation for why they might do such a thing?

First night, you took a calculated risk and got your allies to strike your Shardplate. After all, it put you in such a great position of power. You were almost immediately contacted by the Spanreed holders - Grellin, Jost and Faialen, since you've played a lot, and were 'proven' innocent, and thus you knew who to hit. Over the last three days and nights, you've managed to gain control of all the Spanreed conversations pretty much, since you had you in one with either Ace or Jost, people who were pretty sure of your innocence. The only reason you didn't kill Ace last night was because you thought he had Shardplate, and thus I was the target you wanted, particularly since the next night you could make three kills if all went well. You knew I only had 'one' item - the Grandbow.

You and Ace were the only ones who knew my target. I told you I had a Half-Shard some days ago, but you just now said that I never mentioned it on our PM Thread, so clearly you missed it. Ace knew that if I died, then you and Awes were both Ghostbloods. But that wouldn't matter if I died, since Awes could take another hit on his Shardplate in the morning, and you'd win tonight with both your regular kill, Shardblade and the Grandbow. But Ace gave me his Shardplate, so I survived, which was something you didn't quite expect.

I'm also pretty sure that you have a Painrial, which you claimed not to have just a few hours ago. Perhaps you don't, or you gave it to someone else. You also don't have a Pain Knife, thanks to the Thief, so you couldn't just stop me from killing Awes. Awes knows there is a Thief, and supposedly knows who it is. Meta knows the identity of the Thief. Considering the state of the messages we get, I don't think he got the Thief's name with it, but Awes told him who it was.

Thus the only way to definitely save your ally over both the night and the following morning was for them to not take a hit on their Shardplate. I'm pretty sure you don't have your Shardplate at the moment yourself, since Awes is wearing it, so I'm certain we can kill you today.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I already said that I resign myself to being killed, if for no other reason that that it will get the rest of you to stop focusing on me. Lynch away and I will give up my plate before the end of the day so that it will be publicly revealed who gets it.

And know that they are protected by full Plate, Ghostbloods.  

I did get played Awes, you are correct.You diverted my suspicions in subtle ways very cleverly. The only thing I don't get is how you guys knew we were aiming for you, and how you knew to aim for Wurum...

I'm not going to lie, I've always considered myself pretty good at these kind of games, but you made me question everything about myself in this regard. I will be scrambling today to figure out who you have tried to protect - it will be fun. Maybe I can find one of your other accomplices. 

I have suspected you for a day or two, I knew someone from our original 4 had to be bad. It also helped that every night you got the perfect evidence to deflect us to someone else.

I still don't fully trust Tion, because I don't think there are 3 pairs of shardplate out there, and I gave mine to Wurum. Also the fact that you knew perfect who to aim for, and who to defend when Wurum, Meta, and I were the only 3 who knew who was being attacked and who held the bow (he hadn't used it yet, so you couldn't have emotional bracelet'ed it). I'm going to go through notes and figure out who else was subtly protected by either of you.

For full disclosure to everyone, since the GB have known since the 2nd day. I misread how the Alerter works (Sorry Mail, I seemed to have misread a lot this game), and thought it would tell me WHO used an ability on me, not just that an ability was used. So the ploy I thought of day 1 was to have myself become a target by 'accidentally' claiming to have a main item. Then when I was attacked/spied/stolen from I would have the identities of some major roles (maybe even the identity of a GB) and I wouldn't die because I had a shardplate. While the alerter has still been very useful, it didn't function in quite the way I expected.

This game was very very well played by the GB. Hats off to you guys.

Here is the information I've been given. Wurum aimed for Awes. A pain knife was aimed at Saritu (possibly Aspren). The way the chat reads, the person was "trying to use a fabrial on someone" the pain-knife holder seems to think that means they were pain knifed. If this is the case, then that makes me think Saritu is a GB (possibly Aspren - but until I know for sure who the Pain Knife was aimed at, I'm not sure).

The only explanation of the ShardPlate holder being pain knifed (which was one of those two) and the bow attacking him would be if Wurum had gotten soul-casted to attack Saritu (or Aspren). The problem I see with this is that I received an item from Wurum last night (unless I received it from someone else. I was heird a single use painrial which means someone already had a defense item and so it passed to me. So, I will make my heir Spenril.

Spenril has no items per the spy. So, he is either the decoy GB, or a noble. Vote him if you want, but I doubt he is a GB.

Right now my top guesses are Awes, Tion, Saritu, Cara (She has been out of the obvious radar the whole game, except for joe - who kept being adamant about players who are trying to stay out of the lime-light. I can't vote because I am making an heir, but that's who I would vote for).

*Note* Cara is a shot in the dark. I don't think that the GB have their shardblade on someone we would suspect. (such as awes) the only chance we currently have is to get the shardblade with our kill

Edited by Macen

I can't have been Soulcast, Ace. They would have just made me attack an innocent and made me help them instead. Why would the Shardplate holder being Painknifed matter? There's only a comment of a Painrial being used in the write-up.

I am doubtful that Sprenil is GB. If he does indeed have no items, then his original plan makes sense, in that he had nothing to lose by declaring himself as lynchable. It also explains why he hasn't been taking part as much as in the other games he was in. So I am inclined to think he's innocent as well.

Could you explain to us why you think Saritu might be guilty, Ace? I don't recall anyone really bringing him up in conversation for this sort of thing, aside from Pailan before he was killed. I can see why you might suspect Cara, though. I have considered that myself. I can't remember why off the top of my head though.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I just went through the previous writeups to get more information about what the Ghostbloods have been up to. Mailliw has admitted in the past to putting clues in the writeups (see the reference to the rope in a pocket and to silk on a sword after nights 1 and 2), although some of it could just be RP. I wanted to see if I could match up different descriptions to the same Ghostblood to get a better idea of their numbers and assets.

I have isolated five different Ghostbloods in the writeups (although it is possible that two are actually the same so there’s only four):

1. The first Ghostblood was referred to as a “man in Shardplate” in the opening writeup. He climbed a rope to get in to kill the king. On night 2, there was an assassin with a blood-stained sword with fine silk stuck to it who killed Pailan. From the discussion that followed, it seems this assassin was the same one that killed the king (the silk was the clue). On night 3, there was a “murderer with the bloody sword” who, IIRC, has thoughts that imply that he was the one who killed the king. This implies that the person who killed Fnorf and took his shardblade is the same person as the king-killer On night 4, someone with a shardblade attacked Wurum--certainly the same person who killed Fnorf.

This Ghostblood likely killed the king, Pailan, and Fnorf and attempted to kill Wurum. He probably started with Shardplate, and has since gained either an emotion bracelet or a reverser (or both, but the writeup seemed to imply that Pailan had an heir) and a Shardblade. If he still has the Shardplate, then he is a full shardbearer. However, it is possible he gave it to Ghostblood #4 at some point, or even that the first mention of Shardplate didn't mean anything, since it hasn’t been mentioned on him since and I doubt the Ghostbloods have two Shardplates.

2. On night 1, someone attacked Tion. He had a rope in his pocket, which from the following discussion meant that he was the Ghostblood who took the rope during the assassination of the king. There is no indication of what this Ghostblood has.

3. Night 4 opens with a man who pretended to be Deren (who let the man with Shardplate up). He is the person who used a painrial to protect rope-man (Ghostblood #4). This Ghostblood has a painrial.

4. Rope-man is a (possibly) new figure in the writeups in night 4. He has rope about his neck. It is also possible that he is actually Ghostblood #2, who had the rope in his pocket. If he is Ghostblood #2, then there are only 4 Ghostbloods mentioned explicitly in the writeups so far, and given how Ghostblood #5’s attack is phrased, it seems like that is all there would be.

During night 4, this person has “new Shardplate”, which could mean that he just got it (although Wurum’s plate wasn’t called “new”, and he had just received his, apparently). He tried to use a Fabrial on someone, so he has some kind of Fabrial that targets people at night (I think that means Pain Knife, Soulcaster, Painrial, or Emotion Bracelet). He was attacked by the Grandbow holder and protected by a painrial holder (Ghostblood #3).

This Ghostblood has Shardplate and some kind of Fabrial that targets people.

5. A new assassin killed Jost. It appears that he had done little before that for the Ghostbloods, at least in terms of actions. I worry that this is an indication that the other Ghostbloods now have too many items so they needed their fifth member to attack for the first time. He thinks, “The others had had their chance to help, now it was his,” so I don’t think there are any more Ghostbloods beyond those mentioned.

This Ghostblood now has a Spanreed, Soulcaster, or half-shard (or all three if Jost didn’t have an heir) in addition to whatever he started with.

Note: If how I have lined up the Ghostbloods is correct, then every one of them has been referred to as male at least once in the writeups. I don’t know if this actually means anything though.

Altogether, the Ghostbloods at least have a Shardblade, an Emotion Bracelet or Reverser (Awes mentioned they had an emotion bracelet, so it is probably that), a Painrial, one (or maybe two) sets of Shardplate, some kind of Fabrial that can be used on someone, and whatever was taken from Jost. In addition, I would guess that there are a few other items they started with plus whatever else has been heired or given to one of them.

Given what has already been said, Ghostblood #4 is Awes, and is the only one that has been identified. Unfortunately, he apparently also has Shardplate, so we can’t kill him in a lynch today. However, if we lynch him today, his plate will be damaged so Wurum can take him out tonight.

If we lynch Awes, he'll survive; mark my words. 

We need someone, anyone other than Awes that we actually suspect is a Ghostblood. He was the one that spoke up for a reason. 

I won't list names, as I've had horrible luck so far, but heed my warning here. Awes can't be protected by the Painrial twice, so he'll be taken down a notch the next night. 

If we can kill one today, we still stand a chance. 

Why would it be better to take Awes down a notch during the next night and wait to lynch him until tomorrow and hope that whoever we lynch today just happens to be a Ghostblood than to take him down a notch by lynching him today then kill him tomorrow so that we can maybe take one of his items from him and wait to lynch someone else until the next day when we have more information from the next night? I think gunning for someone else right now just spreads out the votes too much and lets the Ghostbloods hide in the votes.

Why Cara? I see her as suspicious only from inactivity. Currently she is most suspicious tome though. I trust Meta. Can anyone make a list of suspicions for everyone? That would be very useful.

Announcement: Some of you have noticed the hidden text I've put in the writeups. I'll be doing something similar to what Claincy did last game and I have prizes. The clues have a simpler meaning and a deeper/double one. For the first three people to guess the simpler one, they will receive the minor prize. The first player to discover the deeper meaning will receive a bigger one. You are eligible for both. These items could help your side greatly.

And, Claincy already figured out the simpler meaning the day he died, but was too dead to claim the prize.

Edit: The first person has already come forward and claimed their minor prize from their Highprince for excellency in codebreaking!

Edit 2: Updated player list:

Player List

1: Jost (TheOnlyJoe): Ex Soldier who lost a Shardblade. Dead.

2: Xanas (18th Shard): Diplomat to King Taravangian Dead.

3: Tors (Tulir): slightly confused ardent Dead.

4: Sprenil(Aspren): Stormwarden turned Hatham's ward

5: Awes(Awesomeness Summoned): Sebarial's Ryshadium groom with dreams of being Wit.

6: Alv (Alvron): scarred cousin of Roion

7: Brightlord Faialen (AonarFaileas): musician and scion of House RutharDead.

8: Ace(Macen): TBD

9: Wurm (Wyrmhero): only remaining son of poor House Heron

10: Tion (Metacognition): snarky and sadistic brightlord

11: Humperdink (the Gleeman): ridiculously hopeful huntsman

12: Grellin Pilgras (GreyPilgrim): likes walking Dead.

13: Jain (Lightsworn Panda): Shin who is a bit on the crazy side. Strange obsession with pandas Dead.

14: Fnorf (Lord Claincy Ffnord): seargant in Sebarial's army Dead.

15: Jim Bob Dirt (Adolin_Dustbringer): a dirt salesman on a world of rock.

16: Khas (Kasimir): soldier of the tenth dahn in Roion's army.

17: Pailan (Sphinx): Stablemaster for Brightlord HathamDead.

18: Saritu (a smart guy): Kholin's wine merchant

19: Cara (Theorymaker): Devout female ardent in Aladar's camp.

20: Lucal (luckat): Ruthar's scribe

Edited by Mailliw73

Second minor prize has been claimed!

Edit: All three minor prizes have been claimed

Hint for the major one: All the hidden text has double meanings, one for the minor prize and the other for the major.

Edited by Mailliw73

Very glad to see Luckat's long post with his thoughts there. The problem with lynching and then allowing me to take another shot at him though is that they will just protect him again. We'd need to get rid of the Ghostblood with a Painrial first of all, before we can deal with a Ghostblood in Shardplate. I am still suspicious as to why they Painrialed a Shardplate wielder though. Starting to wonder if that suggests there are only two Ghostbloods in the entire game, and we're nowhere near as finished as we think... But your analysis of the writeup also makes sense in telling us that there are four.

I would guess that, since the three prizes were all claimed quickly while I was asleep, they were all claimed by Ghostbloods sharing the answer, which is a bit of a flaw in the system. Do we get to know what they received for their collusion?

Really, Gleeman? Your first vote of the entire game (five days in at that) and you vote for someone just because they've been less active than some players? She's voted twice before today, which is twice more than you've voted. She also didn't disappear and not read a PM group she explicitly asked to be in for three days. I accept you had things going on, I'm just pointing it out.

But this is a hypocritical way to vote, trying to find a way - any way - to jump on the Cara bandwagon (not that there is one yet). With the death of Faialen, he claims to have known that he had a Spanreed. This despite not being in any PM groups, as he wants to be within one just before posting his claim. I would like to hear why you thought Faialen had a Spanreed so strongly, and what reason you wanted to be in a PM group considering you never did anything in it.

As such, I am voting to lynch Humperdink.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Ok. Here's what I'm thinking. We know Awes is bad. Using Lucal's post we can discern that there are more than likely 4 GB (possibly 5, but I looked over it and I think 4 is more likely).

I have recently learned that Tion more than likely still has his plate (which means there are 3 sets) so it reduces my suspicion on him a little bit (no where near completely) but that helps.

From the write
-up (if we can take the write-up word as law) we know the one who was attacked (awes) does not have the shardblade (He nodded for another to use it) and that he used another painrial (i'm guessing the reverser from the day before - I need to double check how many were used). He may also have the soul-caster now.

We know that there was a second GB with a painrial, that uses up two of their tier 2 slots, then I'm guessing another got the Half Shard from joe (I didn't see anything about an heir).

We also know that they have a spanreed/reverser/emotional bracelet and I'm guessing an
alerter (I'm the only person I know of so far who had one - I doubt there is only 1).

Their Sword user is going to be someone we are less likely to suspect. That leaves Saritu/Humperdink/Khas/Saritu/Alv (Also Cara and Joe Dirt, but I have learned new evidence to help convince me they are less likely).

Obviously Meta and Awes are still on my list, but my gut is telling me our only chance is to take out the painrial or shardblade - which awes has neither of and meta has a shardplate.

Our best bet is probably to vote out one of the "less active" people and hope we strike gold.

I realize voting Awes seems like the best idea, but they are just going to keep using the painrial on him. This is why I'm going to support Wurms vote for
Humperdink.

*EDITS* In
green

Edited by Macen