Shards

Eternal

Is there any other series Brandon have yet to announce? Because, I am curious where will he introduce rest of the shards. So far we have names of eleven of them-

1.Ruin

2.Preservation

3.Honor

4.Cultivation

5.Odium

6.Endowment

7.Autonomy

8.Dominion

9.Devotion

10.Ambition 

And the one mentioned by Brandon as the shard which only wants to survive

11.The survival shard 

So, Anyone have any idea how is he going to introduce rest of the shards...

Edited by Eternal

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

He eventually plans to write a series called Dragonsteel, which will include the prequel events of the Cosmere including Hoid's backstory and the events of the Shattering. Also Dragons.

I know but Dragon steel is set at the time of shattering so maybe we get to know what are the other shards but it still will leave the question of whereabouts of shards currently and their effect on whole functioning of cosmere. Unless he introduces new shards on existing shardworlds.

6 minutes ago, Eternal said:

I know but Dragon steel is set at the time of shattering so maybe we get to know what are the other shards but it still will leave the question of whereabouts of shards currently and their effect on whole functioning of cosmere. Unless he introduces new shards on existing shardworlds.

They'llbe the main cahracters of Dragonsteel, so that's were we'll get their characterizations and motivations (back when they were all still alive and less crazy).  My understanding is that the Cosmere finale will be coming together during the planned Mistborn Era 4 (previously called Era 3) where Scadrial has gone full space-fairing society.  Sixth of the Dusk is set in that era, fwiw.    But before that we should have already gotten a lot of new Cosmere meat to chew on with Nightblood and the rest of Stormlight (the back half of which sounds like it will pull back the curtain a good bit).

Any Shards not seen before Dragonsteel will be introduced then along with all the Vessels pre-Ascension. One assumes that if there are any of the six Shards whose whereabouts in the present-day are uncertain at that point, we'll find out where they are and get at least some idea what they've been up to in Mistborn Era 4.

One other thing to mention is that there's at least two planned works that will be released between now and then which have the potential to introduce more Shards: The rewrite of Aether of Night and the Silverlight novella. We also know Brandon's planning on introducing Aether material in Nightblood which serves as a handy reminder that even the more or less self-contained stories that are in progress now can introduce new Cosmere crossover material. The epigraphs in Oathbringer are another good example, especially if Hoid keeps writing letters.

It's a good question, but there's nothing concrete to go on. There are a couple other standalones that Brandon plans on writing. Threnody will get a novel (but we can expect Shardic influence there to come from Ambition or potentially Odium). There's a chance of Brandon rewriting Aether of Night (although it sounds like currently he doesn't have a Shard planned to go with that magic). And Silverlight is on the list to get a novella (although that may or may not have a Shard). There are lots of theories about how some of these remaining Shards could be revealed:

• Odium killed them before they Invested in a world. So the Investiture is out there, but not impacting anything at the moment.
  • Stormlight could involve more Shards in the future. Hoid wrote a couple letters in Oathbringer asking Shards for help (Endowment, Autonomy, and Harmony), all of whom rejected his offer. But did he only write to those three? What if another one actually comes to his aid?
  • The last era of Mistborn could involve more Shards. As they they travel off-world through "conventional" spacefaring means, the main characters (whoever they will wind up being) could interact with planets and Shards the readers haven't seen yet.
  • They could be behind other Cosmere phenomena that we haven't gotten a good look at yet. The Scar on the Star Chart, or Vax (which has Investiture, a strong indication a Shard is involved).
2 minutes ago, Weltall said:

We also know Brandon's planning on introducing Aether material in Nightblood which serves as a handy reminder that even the more or less self-contained stories that are in progress now can introduce new Cosmere crossover material.

I'm not sure that guarantees that Darro will be a worldhopper in Nightblood from the Aether planet. He's a cameo for Brandon's brother, so that might just mean Brandon changed the character to a Nalthian so that he could use him in another story. Same way Rock moved from Yolen to Roshar; he's not a worldhopper (as far as we know), Brandon placing the same character in a new world.

@Pagerunner Harmony didn’t reject Hoid’s plea for aid; quite the opposite in fact. He said that he’d be willing to help provided Hoid explain the situation to him, which if Hoid had any sense would have immediately sent him ‘running’ to Scadrial’s Shadesmar to talk to him. So it’s entirely possible that Harmony might get involved somehow.

6 hours ago, Eternal said:

And the one mentioned by Brandon as the shard which only wants to survive

11.The survival shard 

So, Anyone have any idea how is he going to introduce rest of the shards...

Note: Survival is tangential to the intent of the Shard that wants to survive. Also, I'm pretty sure Ingenuity is all but confirmed as a Shard.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

Note: Survival is tangential to the intent of the Shard that wants to survive. Also, I'm pretty sure Ingenuity is all but confirmed as a Shard.

Even if Ingenuity is a shard which I am not sure is then also we have no idea where it is settled and what are the other four.

4 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

There's a chance of Brandon rewriting Aether of Night (although it sounds like currently he doesn't have a Shard planned to go with that magic).

I saw that one. I wonder if he had in mind what he did with Liar of Partinel where he tried working Aethers into that story (pre-Shattering) because he wanted the magic system but didn't then have any plans to rewrite the original story. Now that he does plan to rewrite the book, it sounds like he's thinking of assigning a Shard to that magic but he hasn't figured out the details yet. I imagine it has to do with how a lot of what he'd done originally got cannibalized into Mistborn and Stormlight Archive, so there isn't a 'go-to' Shard to fill the position and he's got to figure out which 'free' Shard would make the most sense.

I'm not sure that guarantees that Darro will be a worldhopper in Nightblood from the Aether planet. He's a cameo for Brandon's brother, so that might just mean Brandon changed the character to a Nalthian so that he could use him in another story.

Fair point, he's from Aether now but it's not guaranteed by that WoB that he'd still be from it in Nightblood. Guess we'll just have to... Read And Find Out? xD

5 hours ago, RShara said:

I really hope he decides to call it something else. I think 'Ingenuity' sounds ridiculous when used as a proper noun. I think 'Inspiration' sounds much better personally:

"I am Ingenuity" vs "I am Inspiration". Tell me the former doesn't sound really dumb...

3 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

I really hope he decides to call it something else. I think 'Ingenuity' sounds ridiculous when used as a proper noun. I think 'Inspiration' sounds much better personally:

"I am Ingenuity" vs "I am Inspiration". Tell me the former doesn't sound really dumb...

That's fair, but Cunning means almost the same thing and also sounds pretty cool.

6 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Yeah he might decide to go with a different name, but the general idea should be close. The basis is this WoB that Chaos got. Given how well the two of them know each other, I think that we can take it as solid.

Chaos [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Ingenuity a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Umm...maybe. *smiles slyly*

source

Edit: Ooh I like Cunning.

Edited by RShara

7 minutes ago, Invocation said:

That's fair, but Cunning means almost the same thing and also sounds pretty cool.

I don't really think that 'cunning' works as an attribute of the divine, since it has an implication of deceitfulness implicit in its definition (though admittedly, it might be very mild, but still). And I think it's probably safe to say that if the Shards are incapable of lying, as the Stormfather indicates, Adonalsium likely was as well. 'Inspiration' or maybe 'Aptitude' work much better as usable synonyms. Honestly, I think 'Inspiration' sounds like an awesome Shard name; it's definitely the kind of attribute a benevolent deity would possess.

19 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

I don't really think that 'cunning' works as an attribute of the divine, since it has an implication of deceitfulness implicit in its definition (though admittedly, it might be very mild, but still). And I think it's probably safe to say that if the Shards are incapable of lying, as the Stormfather indicates, Adonalsium likely was as well. 'Inspiration' or maybe 'Aptitude' work much better as usable synonyms. Honestly, I think 'Inspiration' sounds like an awesome Shard name; it's definitely the kind of attribute a benevolent deity would possess.

Yeah, that's fair.

I personally like ingenuity and don't think "inspiration" quite works as a synonym.

As to the beveloent diety idea... I don't think we can discount "negative attributes" Ruin and Odium. Both aren't very benevolent, and know, hatred is not the same as anger. Odium is not "wrath." 

19 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I personally like ingenuity and don't think "inspiration" quite works as a synonym.

As to the beveloent diety idea... I don't think we can discount "negative attributes" Ruin and Odium. Both aren't very benevolent, and know, hatred is not the same as anger. Odium is not "wrath." 

Well regardless, the Stormfather did pretty explicitly state that Shards can’t lie, at least not outright. And technically speaking, hatred in of itself is a morally neutral attribute, what gives it its moral status is what it is channeled on. After all, hating and wanting to end evil are two perfectly benevolent manifestations of Odium and Ruin. As you yourself have said, any attribute stripped from all context has the potential to be a bad thing.

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

41 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Well regardless, the Stormfather did pretty explicitly state that Shards can’t lie, at least not outright.

Where was this? 

41 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

And technically speaking, hatred in of itself is a morally neutral attribute, what gives it its moral status is what it is channeled on. After all, hating and wanting to end evil are two perfectly benevolent manifestations of Odium and Ruin. As you yourself have said, any attribute stripped from all context has the potential to be a bad thing.

I wasn't disputing it being good or evil. I said that Odium and Ruin aren't "benevolent." 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Where was this? 

I wasn't disputing it being good or evil. I said that Odium and Ruin aren't "benevolent." 

When Dalinar was asking him about the whole contest of champions thing. I can’t recall the exact quotes, but Dalinar asked him if gods always have to keep their word, and the Stormfather answered in the affirmative.

And I know they aren’t; I’ve said on multiple occasions that I consider those Shards, at least as expressed by Rayse and Ati, to be flat-out evil. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that Adonalsium also channelled them towards what we would consider ‘evil’ ends as well.

Just now, Fanghur Rahl said:

When Dalinar was asking him about the whole contest of champions thing. I can’t recall the exact quotes, but Dalinar asked him if gods always have to keep their word, and the Stormfather answered in the affirmative.

As I just said in the other thread, I don't think that being bound to a pact made with Intent means they cannot lie. 

They will be forced to hold to promises made, but they should be able to lie so long as it is not counter to their intent. 

I know, I misspoke. I was using the term too generally, but I just meant in terms of breaking promises they make.

At any rate, as for Ingenuity, I completely agree that something like that should be a Shard, I just don’t like that particular label for it because I think it sounds dumb when used as a name. Though I suppose he could do worse. But I prefer Inspiration both because it’s a near-synonym of Ingenuity, it sounds much less awkward as a proper noun, and there’s overwhelming precedent for people ascribing that attribute to their Gods. So it’s all around a good name for a Shard.

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

• Chaos locked this topic