Who is the cook?

Passion

Who is the cook who poisons people so as to prevent visitors from reaching amia? While going back to read the chapter on Daliners nohadon vision while I utterly failed to notice anything enlightening about the vision itself I did notice we have the only other reference to a notable cook. One who has taught nohadon to bake bread and who according to nohadon ended up being handled by life most unfairly! I think I’ve found our poisoner! (Hope I’m not just repeating something that’s already been discovered)

She is one of The Sleepless. A Dysian aimian. 

She is not human, and does not have a human body. She is a hive consciousness, a single mind controlling a legion of individual "hordelings" that can function independently or together in a human approximation. 

If you've read Edgedancer, she is the second such being you've met. 

1 hour ago, Passion said:

And do we know for sure the cook who taught nohadon was human? Or is sleepless something you can become as that happened to her afterwards? ... or wait am I completely misunderstanding the type of being u r describing?

Did Nohadon have a cook? Completely forgot that. Anyway, you can’t become Sleepless, just like humans can’t be elves in Lord of the Rings, for example. They are a separate kind of being. They can disguise themselves as humans though. 

7 hours ago, Passion said:

And do we know for sure the cook who taught nohadon was human? Or is sleepless something you can become as that happened to her afterwards? ... or wait am I completely misunderstanding the type of being u r describing?

They are a completely separate race.  See the Coppermind entry: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Sleepless.  

Just because she is a Sleepless doesn't mean she can't be the cook Nohadon was talking about. Although I feel like it is not likely, it was really random of Nohadon to mention a cook while giving life advice... Then again Nohadon seemed like a really random guy in that vision... Buuuut since it's Brandon  it could be some REALLY stealthy foreshadowing!

11 minutes ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

Just because she is a Sleepless doesn't mean she can't be the cook Nohadon was talking about. Although I feel like it is not likely, it was really random of Nohadon to mention a cook while giving life advice... Then again Nohadon seemed like a really random guy in that vision... Buuuut since it's Brandon  it could be some REALLY stealthy foreshadowing!

I doubt that was even really Nohadon. The "real" Nohadon was not named Nohadon, and when Dalinar attempts to call him that in the vision he has no clue what Dalinar is talking about. 

“I’m thinking of giving up my throne,” Nohadon said softly.

“No!” Dalinar stepped toward him. “You mustn’t.”

“I cannot lead them,” the man said. “Not if this is what my leadership brings them to.”

“Nohadon.”

The man turned to him, frowning. “What?”

Dalinar paused. Could he be wrong about this man’s identity? But no. The name Nohadon was more of a title. Many famous people in history had been given holy names by the Church, before it was disbanded. Even Bajerden wasn’t likely to be his real name; that was lost in time.

@Calderis are you saying that you think the "Nohadon" from the first vision and the "Nohadon" from the second vision are NOT the same person?

as I recall the stormfather seemed to have no knowledge of the second vision... So I guess... I don't know what to conclude about the second vision:D Was it a regular dream? Was it from Cultivation? A secret message from Honor?(kept even from stormfather?) From odium? Stormfather was just being annoying and pretending not to know of it for some spren-ly reason? Some vague bondsmith thing?

Regardless... STILL could be the same cook! Just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it can't be so!

I think the idea is that the second "vision" couldn't have been a recreation sent by Tanavast, since Nohadon probably wasn't referred to as such during his lifetime. Rather, it was a fictitious scenario sent to Dalinar by who knows what, to mislead him in another direction, perhaps. We don't know the answer to that at this time, but we can't take anything from that second vision as truth knowing that it wasn't historically accurate. Any or all of it could have been completely fabricated.

Edit: I just went and reread the chapter with the second vision, and a couple things occurred to me. 

1. It reinforced the fact that this can't be Nohadon. He's responding to his title we believe was given to him postmortem, as mentioned. 

2. He's responding to Dalinar as if he knows him personally, and not just as the person whose identity he would be assuming if he were in a standard vision. He acts as if he knows Dalinar suspects it as well, and they are just playing along with the scene, or perhaps to trick anyone who may be watching that it is a standard vision. 

3. When he is asking Dalinar if he knows where he learned to make bread, he makes a point of saying it wasn't in Shin Kak Nish, but next to it, and that he tricked Dalinar. The thing seemed silly to read the first time through, but I suppose you could read into the subtext there and the speaker is trying to let Dalinar know all is not as it seems in this vision. I'm not sure if I believe this, but it's possible. 

4. This last one is a stretch as well, but when he wakes in the first room and the sun is shining in the window, he exits, and the sun is shining in the opposite window, and Dalinar mentally notes it. This seems like it should be indicative of... something. I'm just not sure what it is. Just more evidence this may be a dream or something new, or something related to the CR (opposite light sources means opposite shadows... I still don't understand the wrong facing shadow thing). 

I realize I'm on a tangent and completely detailed the thread. I apologize, I just had to get it out while my thoughts were still organized :huh:

Carry on.

Edited by Solant
Sounds like orc mischief to me. By orc, I mean Cultivation gently guiding and doing her thing.

• Chaos locked this topic