Dark-skinned Darksiders

Spaceferring

Question

6 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Spacefaring Ferring said:

Why are Darksiders dark-skinned? Since there is no sun it would make sense for them to be white, right? Same question but reversed for Daysiders. 

It's a question that had bothered me as well until we got an answer last year

Strumienpola (paraphrased)

Why don't Daysiders have darker skin?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It's just how genetics on Taldain have played out. They should be darker-skinned, but there's always some randomness to genetics, so this is just how they played out in this case.

Footnote: see this
source

Odd answer though. 

1 hour ago, Spacefaring Ferring said:

Why are Darksiders dark-skinned? Since there is no sun it would make sense for them to be white, right? Same question but reversed for Daysiders. 

There is a sun. It is a white dwarf, which is extremely potent in the UV. It is not very bright though. The dayside sun is cooler, though brighter. They have an incentive to develop a protection against UV rays that does not involve heating you up by absorption.

On 01/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, Chiri-Chiri said:

To camouflage in the landscape. Mimic the environment.

Like polar beara in the snow, tigers in the jungle, leaf insects in trees...

I think that's racist...? 

Edited by Spacefaring Ferring

I haven't read White Sand, but.....Are these humans native to Taldain? If not, could people have settled into areas that didn't necessarily fit their initial biological adaptations?

That WoB is super unsatisfying.  Sure there are deviations and mutations, but it seems highly unlikely that genetics would play out that way for one group, let alone for two groups of people.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:34 PM, Zellyia said:

I haven't read White Sand, but.....Are these humans native to Taldain? If not, could people have settled into areas that didn't necessarily fit their initial biological adaptations?

How long is Taldaine settled?
Human populations generally adapt quite fast to the level of UV light they are exposed to. In adition to the obvious disadvantage of damage by a lack of pigmentation, there is also the reverse effect  a deficiency in vitamin D leads indirectly to dangerous child birth.
http://www.victorianweb.org/science/health/health6.html