Can Brandon actually break Nicrosil compounding?

Krios

Question

Can Brandon actually break Nicrosil compounding?

He kind of already proved, that it works with the Bands of Mourning. The only thing I can imagine is that the powers would interfere with eachother like Alik says the medallions do.

4 answers to this question

Per recent WOB Nicrosil works a little more like Copper in that you place a discrete thing in and take it back out, as opposed to most of the others were you are more fiddling with an attribute slider bar and storing/tapping some relative percentage of a non-specific commodity-style entity.   Given that it may not actually do much when Compounded, or at least not as dramatic as some of the other metals. 

EDIT: This is the case for the Nicrosil portion of medallions, there is still some debate on whether standard metalminds would work the same. 

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

source

Edited by Quantus
Calderizing :-)

13 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Quantus as I've stated in a recent discussion with Pagerunner in the Mistborn forum, that WoB states specifically the nicrosil in medallions.

I'm not convinced that that is standard nicrosil Feruchemy

That's true, you've shown there's reasonable doubt on it being a blanket statement for both medallions and standard metalminds. 

Ill be honest, I cant get behind that interpretation just yet, it seems like a much more qualitative difference in function (metalmind to medallion) than we've seen with any other metal, even with your proposed Unsealing method.  Buuuut, that means my objection really boils down to an Occam's Razor argument, and we are talking about a system where dont know how a full quarter of the metal attributes work, and the creator is specifically trying to make it increasingly complicated.  So Occam's Razor may not be a particularly useful method at all here, I fully realize.