Skyward Chapter 15

mr.bug

Wow, they're really bad at keeping a consistent schedule. I wasn't expecting this until tomorrow afternoon. And if it's just chapter 15, then it looks like we won't get chapter 17 until the book releases next Wednesday.

Also, @Chaos is going to be pissed you stole his thunder! (actually I don't think he will)

Edit now that I've read the chapter:

Doomslug the Destroyer. If I hadn't already preorder, I'd be sold.

Again, not much new to theorize on, but definitely some good sections that remind me why I enjoy Sanderson's writing.

I was getting pretty good at dodging between them, though I wasn’t certain how well that skill would translate once they started—you know—hurtling down from above with horrific destructive potential. But hey, baby steps.

He was . . . he was flirting with me, I realized, stunned. Or, well, trying to.

That was the strangest thing that had happened to me since starting flight school, and I spent my mornings talking to a slug.
The last time I’d had any romantic inclinations had been when I’d been eight and had given Rig a particularly nice hatchet I’d made out of a rock and a stick—then had decided he was gross the next week. Because, well, I’d been eight.

Edited by Govir

Doomslug the destroyer, that really got me :P

It kind of reminds me to the spren in the way of king to sylvia was it? It started not knowing much and talking with simple fraces.

Looks like the slug is part of the ship if not a krell that without the suit its something else.

Loved this 15th chapter and too bad we dont get anymore till next week. 

@Chaos Happy birthday!!

Doomslug the Destroyer :wub: 

I love the way Spin express herself!! Kind of dramatic and pompous .. And her attempt of flirting was really charming. Jerkface turned out to be more jerk than expected...<_<, well he was defending against Spin's actions, but that was a low blow.... Jerk! :angry:

That was a really short chapter...:(

I suppose he could have some character growth, but I'm really starting to dislike Jorgen. I can understand his sense of entitlement and the superior attitude, but he went to new lows in the one. It's not like he had anything riding on the competition either. He doesn't eat or stay on base either. 

Spensa may have used a bad loophole, but given the situation it may be one that Pilot's need to use. The biggest problem I see with Spensa (from the view point of the DDF) is that she wants to redeem her family's honor At All Costs. Her death before dishonor attitude is a good way to lose a ship (they may not value her, but they value the ship she's in).

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, kmosiman said:

I suppose he could have some character growth, but I'm really starting to dislike Jorgen. I can understand his sense of entitlement and the superior attitude, but he went to new lows in the one. It's not like he had anything riding on the competition either. He doesn't eat or stay on base either. 

He's a genuinely skilled pilot - at the moment the best in the class - who got saddled with an embarrassing and petty call-sign by the protagonist.  So he already has reasons to personally dislike her.  The incident in chapter 15 - which would have heavily violated his sense of fair play at the exact moment he was expecting to pull off a win - just pushed him over the edge.  I may not like the reasons why he did it, but I'm hardly going to knock a teenager for getting frustrated enough with the protagonist to do something like that.  Let's be blunt here.  The intent of the "game" was to give everyone a chance to show off their skill.  Spin didn't have anything riding on the competition - she isn't allowed to eat with the others - except for one thing, namely her overly competitive nature (and while her competitiveness got her into flight school, it's also a flaw).  And she beat "Jerkface" by doing something that would have been banned if Cobb had thought that anyone would be competitive enough to do it.

So no, I'm not going to blame "Jerkface" for being angry enough to use the first weapon against her that comes to mind.

4 minutes ago, junior said:

He's a genuinely skilled pilot - at the moment the best in the class - who got saddled with an embarrassing and petty call-sign by the protagonist.  So he already has reasons to personally dislike her.  The incident in chapter 15 - which would have heavily violated his sense of fair play at the exact moment he was expecting to pull off a win - just pushed him over the edge.  I may not like the reasons why he did it, but I'm hardly going to knock a teenager for getting frustrated enough with the protagonist to do something like that.  Let's be blunt here.  The intent of the "game" was to give everyone a chance to show off their skill.  Spin didn't have anything riding on the competition - she isn't allowed to eat with the others - except for one thing, namely her overly competitive nature (and while her competitiveness got her into flight school, it's also a flaw).  And she beat "Jerkface" by doing something that would have been banned if Cobb had thought that anyone would be competitive enough to do it.

So no, I'm not going to blame "Jerkface" for being angry enough to use the first weapon against her that comes to mind.

They're both wrong. Spensa shouldn't have done that, and Jorgen shouldn't have reacted that way.