Magic System Clarifying Questions

Lord Meeker

I have developed an intricate magic system that first needs to be reviewed and questioned. I think I have worked the kinks out though there may be things that I understand and haven't voice in my notes that would be helpful to put in. So I ask that you ask questions about my system. I apologize before hand about the bullets and such, they are notes and are meant to be that way.

Connectors Heart

A beneficial symbiosis between user/host and parasite.

Memories, emotions and experiences are required to access the One Power. (A food source.)

The parasite (Collectors) allow current host to relive experiences, memories of deceased users as well as communicate with them

Power is based upon Connections, past hosts, the more hosts a Collector has the more powerful the parasite becomes, allowing the Host more connections to the One Power

Connections

Acts as a conduit for the one power to flow through. A series of symbols unique to the host

Physical touch is required (though not in all circumstances) to create a connection

Connections require knowledge of the power being replicated or created (the science behind it.)

Connection has three stages

Influence- Little to no knowledge is required, requires the most concentration of the three.

Control- Knowledge of the power is required, though the amount varies on the complexity, requires a moderate amount of concentration

Mastery- Complete knowledge of the power is required, requires the least amount of concentration if any

When concentration is broken the connection stops functioning as the conduit closes

Connections are based or created on an understanding of the science behind the power. For example: Gaining increased ability to heal would require an understanding of speedily duplicating lost cells, etc...

Description

Colorless Octahedron before bond with tentacle-like on one vertical side

Functions as a second heart as the tentacles line the bloodstream

# of tentacles depends on the # of connections

Color upon bonding parasite is based on dominant personality (Colors Red, Blue, Yellow)

Brightness/Vibrancy of color is based on closeness of personality, temperament, goals, Etc... of parasite and host

Hard like crystal

Well I guess a bunch of things. I guess I need a list of powers. *Sigh* And I thought I had  it figured out. Originally though that they would grant a part of the aspects of nature. Gravitation, Electromagnetism, strong and weak interactions.

I just know that what powers are "essential" per se are teleportation, healing, body enhancements (superspeed, sight, strength, etc) and a few others that aren't surfacing in my brain as of yet.

I also though of categorizing them as this as well. Mimicry, manipulations, mental, enhancements, personal, and Almighty (the last one for yah know god...). This are however supposed to merge into each other's category somewhat.

Edited by Mraize

As a general tip I'd formulate the magic's rules and characteristics a little more in detail and preferably with full sentences. It's a little hard to follow as is.

9 hours ago, Mraize said:

I guess I need a list of powers. *Sigh* And I thought I had  it figured out. Originally though that they would grant a part of the aspects of nature. Gravitation, Electromagnetism, strong and weak interactions.

I just know that what powers are "essential" per se are teleportation, healing, body enhancements (superspeed, sight, strength, etc) and a few others that aren't surfacing in my brain as of yet.

Have you decided what kind of problems your magic should help solve? Since it sounds like you're going for a harder-feel magic and want some strict mechanics to explain in-depth what's happening, perhaps it would help to determine the kinda scenarios where the magic is applied. Will it be largely combat-related? Will it be an everyday commodity used in all fields of life? Will it be used as a source of conflict in the story?

That should kinda help you decide on what abilities or categories of abilities you want to use. I generally found it helpful to tie things thematically to a degree. If you're going to use categories, best keep them few in number. Otherwise maybe focus on one specific kind of magic you'd like to do.

Also, a little nitpick but: if parasite and host are in symbiosis, the parasite isn't a parasite. Parasitism is taking advantage of a host without giving anything in return. I'm also not sure if I understand what the parasite is getting out of this deal. Do the memories, experiences ect. that are fed to it disappear from the host's mind? Will there be a cost to your magic system?

Ubeka makes some very good points.

It sounds like this magic can do pretty much everything, so the best advice I can give is to refer to Brandon's 2nd law. What are the limits of the magic? What can it not do? Who cannot use it? What are the costs of using it?

9 hours ago, Ubeka said:

Also, a little nitpick but: if parasite and host are in symbiosis, the parasite isn't a parasite. Parasitism is taking advantage of a host without giving anything in return. I'm also not sure if I understand what the parasite is getting out of this deal.

Yeah, well I wasn't using the internet at the time :P only word that came to mind. I honestly don't know the appropriate word either.

Though I think I am settling with these categories. Manipulations, mental, enhancements for the One Power and the opposing force will be using Mimicry.

Your guy's questions have gotten me thinking with was the point of this thread. I'll edit in what I come up with tomorrow. So stay tuned.

Edit: It's Mutualism.

Edited by Mraize

From how it sounds, these Collectors could technically become very powerful - if we knew what they got from the host. Problem is, we don't know what that is or why they want it which is kind of important. They seem like they must have some incentive, otherwise this relationship is basically a commensalism (one side benefits, nothing happens to the other). I'm assuming the "parasite" does have some goal - it may not. Is it sentient? And if it isn't, then what is it? It's easy to just say something exists, but to really make it work, everything needs to be thought through. 

Secondly, what do you mean when you say the "tentacles line the bloodstream"? How does that work? Do they inhabit a humanoid creature with veins and the like?

And finally, how would the inhabited figure out that the Collectors exist? How would they realize what this is and not just dismiss it as soft magic and so too prevent you from developing the system?

Sorry about the strange phraseology of questions - if they don't make sense, just ask. And welcome back (a little late, but I was offline when you officially returned)! 

Edited by Silva